Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hegedus Quote
In my opinion there is something very wrong with this photo - it is either lens or the body missed focus, or something third. I think that the resolution can't be accused for the bad picture in this case, because FA 24mm is a full frame lens, and it should be capable of much larger sensor at higher resolution.
If we are supposed to be looking at the trees at the end of the driveway and judging from that, this photo is definitely mis-focused (ignoring that everything is sliding off to the right). Look at the foreground, even on the edges.

11-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If we are supposed to be looking at the trees at the end of the driveway and judging from that, this photo is definitely mis-focused (ignoring that everything is sliding off to the right). Look at the foreground, even on the edges.

x2

how much dof as well... is that ca on the light poles? yuk
11-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #18

From Photozone:

"The Pentax SMC-FA* 24mm f/2 AL [IF] is an interesting lens but not a really stellar performer as you may expect from its FA* designation. The resolution characteristic has a very strong emphasis on the center resolution whereas the border quality is a bit substandard especially at large aperture settings."

I realize APS sensors only use the center of the lens, but the FA*24mm is not the greatest lens, compared to other FA* lenses, which possibly is why the K5 makes its flaws more obvious.

Tom
11-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #19

Sorry double post for some reason!

11-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
From Photozone:

"The Pentax SMC-FA* 24mm f/2 AL [IF] is an interesting lens but not a really stellar performer as you may expect from its FA* designation. The resolution characteristic has a very strong emphasis on the center resolution whereas the border quality is a bit substandard especially at large aperture settings."

I realize APS sensors only use the center of the lens, but the FA*24mm is not the greatest lens, compared to other FA* lenses, which possibly is why the K5 makes its flaws more obvious.

Tom
That's all well and good but on the photo in question, the edges (I understand it's on an APS-C rather than full frame) of that particular photo are where I'm seeing the best resolution. I would actually like to purchase this lens but am waiting to see Adam's results with it and the K5 before moving forward with that decision.

11-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/32162qXOjQehHIw/E9QALj3fZV/565942.jpg

I've download DNG from K-5's review.
Pentax K-5 Review - PentaxForums.com Professional Reviews
Index of /content/k5review/raw

It's ISO100 file. ISO80 is much worse.
Converted in LR 3.2.
ALL NR is set to ZERO. Sharpness 40@0.8. Details 35.

It's f8 and it's really weak result for me.

And I don't understand where is the focus point? The right wall of building and the lower part of road are sharper than left and central part of photo.
Had it been a lens test I would have used a tripod and carefully selected the focal point to be the same in all shots. My main concern was to find a subject with enough contrast so as to illustrate the difference between ISO 80 and 100.

The building and its immediate surroundings is the subject of interest, hence the tight crop posted in the review. In hindsight it would have made sense to consistently focus on the window nearest the doorway since that is where one can see the subtle differences between ISO 80 and 100. In the shots posted focus was somewhere between one third to halfway down the building and differs amongst the shots.
11-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Had it been a lens test I would have used a tripod and carefully selected the focal point to be the same in all shots. My main concern was to find a subject with enough contrast so as to illustrate the difference between ISO 80 and 100.

The building and its immediate surroundings is the subject of interest, hence the tight crop posted in the review. In hindsight it would have made sense to consistently focus on the window nearest the doorway since that is where one can see the subtle differences between ISO 80 and 100. In the shots posted focus was somewhere between one third to halfway down the building and differs amongst the shots.
He-he...I'm in trouble... FA*24/2 is my ONLY one wide-angle lens and I'm preparing to buy K-5....

Klaus from photozone says that K-5 has thicker AA filter than previous Pentax models...

How to be?

11-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

How to be?
...SD1
11-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

To the OP

Check on DPR, the post of Pentax_prime, he has posted DA*55, FA*24 and FA31ltd shots in a single thread. He has addressed your doubts clearly. Better would be to ask more samples from him.

Atindra
11-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Dear Jason....I say about what my eyes see and nothing else. It's just my impression.

I don't care benchmarks and test. I see real life photos.
FA*24 is worse at K-5 than at K200D. It's all. Maybe FA*24 of reviewer is wrong...I don't know.

You are a bit wrong. The wood is VERY complex object and good lens offers very good resolution and details of wood. The first object from review is more simple for FA*24.
Dear Ogl,

Maybe when you purchase a K-5, your FA24 will be pleasing to your eyes as you will be the ones making the photographs?

Enjoy.

Jason
11-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The K-5 is the best Pentax digital 35mm cropped camera yet. That means, when using it to a lower benchmark (i.e. K20d, K-7 etc), the K-5 would at least be able to match them using the same lens. The K-5 would then (based on it being a better, more capable camera) be able to extend that for better shots where some lenses might start to show a drop in quality, but not below the "low" benchmark of the k20d/K-7. If your life revolves around printing billboard sized pictures using your K-5, then you might (might) see a lens not "keeping up" , but to amplify the imperfections of a lens, it should still be past what the k20d / K-7 would be able to resolve. To say that the K-5 can't take beautiful pics with a FA24 doesn't make sense to me.
11-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #27
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Dear Ogl,

Maybe when you purchase a K-5, your FA24 will be pleasing to your eyes as you will be the ones making the photographs?

Enjoy.

Jason
I'm in perplexity....FA77 is razor sharp at K-5...FA*24 is not...
11-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #28

give link to FA77 examples ?
11-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The problem with this sample is that focus is in the front, while the center of the image is in the background. I'm still surprised that the FA*24 shows that much CA in the OOF areas in the background at the left hand side.
11-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member

FA77 is a very fine lens. If not in love with the FA24, have you considered the DA21?

Jason