Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
K-5 RAW-image from incamera HDR

Now with the new future to save the last image, Jpg, as a RAW image, we can also make a RAW-image from an incamera HDR picture.

The question is: Do we have anything to win with this future?

Is it just one of the three pictures that is saved as a RAW or do I miss something?

11-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Now with the new future to save the last image, Jpg, as a RAW image, we can also make a RAW-image from an incamera HDR picture.

The question is: Do we have anything to win with this future?

Is it just one of the three pictures that is saved as a RAW or do I miss something?
HDR mode outputs just 1 JPEG file, which is a composite of the three shots. The data captured in between is not saved.

So the RAW file saved using the the JPEG-save as RAW feature is using the HDR output JPEG.

The "loss" of the working shot captures is the main reason why serious HDR hobbyists will probably stay away from in-camera HDR. They can't access the working files to do further PP experimentation.

For the rest of us, it can be fun though.
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
HDR mode outputs just 1 JPEG file, which is a composite of the three shots. The data captured in between is not saved.

So the RAW file saved using the the JPEG-save as RAW feature is using the HDR output JPEG.
Well it doesn't! I think it saves the first picture as RAW-data and does nothing with the two extra shots.

Or do I see it wrong?
11-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
Just did a little test. Camera on my TV, set to HDR strong, set it to have shot 3 taking 30 seconds (play with aperture ot iso). 2 second timer, TV out and turnd my tv on so it kicked in in shot number 3.

So here is the HDR:

and here is the RAW incamera developed to jpg

This clearly the first shot of the bunch, no sign of the TV giving any signal as was in the third of these three pictures to make a HDR.

11-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clever test...
11-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it doesn't! I think it saves the first picture as RAW-data and does nothing with the two extra shots.

Or do I see it wrong?
You are right - I got my RAW files confused.
So this save-as-RAW function, which I think is useful for JPEG users, doesn't help for in-camera HDR.
01-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #7

On the off chance you see this post, I'm wondering if this test could be explained to me more simply?

I have been taking test shots with my camera of the TV, and thought that picking up the TV was a good sign?
Did I misunderstand the tests?

Also the links expired, can you describe the pics?

I'm trying to figure out if it's better to use in-camera HDR jpeg or a single RAW in post?

thanks in advance.

01-06-2012, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by mellofellow Quote
I'm trying to figure out if it's better to use in-camera HDR jpeg or a single RAW in post?
In-camera HDR jpg has less headroom for post and can have artefacts from moving objects. Single RAW has noise in shadow areas brightened up in post (at base ISO mostly tolerable, but YMMV).
01-06-2012, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

The 7th gen Milbeaut Imaging Processors which is use in the Prime chips will have JPG-XR.
Only thing is it will probably take 4 years before we see it...
Milbeaut Imaging Processors : Fujitsu Global