Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Hound Tooth - What do you have checked in the Memory setting?

04-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have yet to think of any way this functionality might be useful to me. It's like texting in that regard.
04-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I have yet to think of any way this functionality might be useful to me. It's like texting in that regard.
You don't text? You must have an unlimited talk plan then.
The USER modes are really useful in circumstances where you have multiple predetermined conditions you can set your camera to in advance and quickly switch to as required. Of course, not everyone would use these, but many including myself would find these quite handy and definitely practical.
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You don't text? You must have an unlimited talk plan then.
The USER modes are really useful in circumstances where you have multiple predetermined conditions you can set your camera to in advance and quickly switch to as required. Of course, not everyone would use these, but many including myself would find these quite handy and definitely practical.
Oh I'm sure others have found good uses for user modes. I just haven't encountered a need to which it would be the answer.

Oh, and I use about 200 minutes a year on my prepaid cell phone--if you suspect we live on different planets, you be right.

04-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't text? You must have an unlimited talk plan then
I don't text either (a phone is a phone is a phone IMO)
On the other hand, I do get free calls on VOIP so I can talk to people freely.

I haven't had a chance to get out much since the K5 arrived, but have anticipated using D Range by setting up the setting as a user. Will probably set up a wife user sometime (and then spend some time training her to use it!) (She has lots of admirable qualities, but technology is not at the top of the list) (and she does do well with her Canon P&S)
04-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@Hound Tooth - What do you have checked in the Memory setting?
Everything except cross processing, digital filter an HDR (ie. the default memory settings).

Not that that's relevant, since the "Memory" item is inaccessible when using a User mode.

You can try it yourself: go to a User mode where you've saved something, change the ISO, then turn the camera off. When you turn it back on, the ISO is back to the saved setting, not what you changed it to. That's really the whole point of User modes, and I have nothing against it. I just wish it didn't do that when the camera turns off by itself.
04-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I have yet to think of any way this functionality might be useful to me.
You're not the only one, I've never touched the user mode in any of the Pentax dSLRs that I've had (K10D, K-7, K-5).

04-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The USER modes are really useful in circumstances where you have multiple predetermined conditions you can set your camera to in advance and quickly switch to as required.
Yep. I find it great that for macro work I just turn the dial to USER instead of manually changing all the settings (disable SR, set lower ISO limits, de-couple AF from shutter release button, etc). Same for "sports mode" (TAv mode, higher ISO limits, etc).

In my opinion it's still better to have the option there even if you don't use it (yet) than to not have something that you'd like to use. There are many features / functions that I don't care about, on the other hand I'm sure lots of other people use and appreciate those
04-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that the saveable and name-editable USER settings on the K-5 is actually one of their greater improvements since going digital. As I see it I think Pentax should make space for even more.
04-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by x-country Quote
I think that the saveable and name-editable USER settings on the K-5 is actually one of their greater improvements since going digital. As I see it I think Pentax should make space for even more.
Or better, have User A and User B (like the Panasonic GH1 has C and C1-2-3 settings.).
04-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #26

I have a puzzle that i can choose M in user mode, but I also can get a larger iso range expecialy iso80 , so Why can't I use M in user mode ?
04-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by testdasi Quote
Or better, have User A and User B (like the Panasonic GH1 has C and C1-2-3 settings.).
That's just great!
04-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #28
Pentaxian

On my K20D, I wish the user setting could memorise the program line so that by switching from P to User I could easily switch from Normal program line to MTF program line. Now THAT would be convenient.

I find that with Pentax's Hyper-P mode, I essentially have P-A-T all in one, so I exclusively use P and M.