Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I purchased the Mack three-year warranty-plus-damage plan back when I got my K20D in 2008, and I'm using their service RIGHT NOW. I can't provide a full report yet because I don't have the camera back, but progress looks favorable so far.

I had some relatively minor impact damage -- cracked bottom plate -- and a sticky shutter that sometimes fails to open on the first exposure after power-up.

So I sent it in about three weeks ago with a write-up of the problems, and I have been (somewhat) able to track progress online. They received my camera, processed it in, reviewed the damage and my writeup, and ended up sending the camera on to Pentax (presumably CRIS) for additional work. Pentax provided an estimate to Mack, and it looks like Mack approved it, so now I'm just waiting for the work to be completed.

The camera is more than 2 1/2 years old, and I'll be VERY pleased if it comes back to me with those two problems resolved.

I'll post an update when I do get it back, but it might be too late to help the original poster decide whether to register his service plan or return it.

11-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sadly, putting away $300 wont help when your $1000-$1600 item needs repair after 14 months.
Lens repairs are likely to be less than that, but cameras are likely to need full motherboard replacements (both my last two cameras needed motherboard replacements... one of them twice) or even sensor replacements... for which $300 could be a bargain.

On the other hand $99 from Pentax is not quite so bad. Probably covers the cost of a cleaning&inspection alone. :-) Probably not a bad thing to do by end of three years anyway.
11-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Awesome ! In France I just bought my K5 with free of charge warranty extension (1249 euros kit with the 18-55 WR, 150 euros cashback and 4 years warranty)
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Quicksand, good deal getting your repair done at C.R.I.S. They do good work with quick turnaround.
Last two times I sent something to Mack, I don't know where it went to from there but it took twelve weeks for one repair and fourteen weeks for the another. I do not believe CRIS was handling their repairs at that time.

The more expensive warranty still easily covered cost of those repairs. Expensive or not it saved me money in the long run.

For $1000+ items I will opt for the extended warranty... Then again, I tend to be a black hole of electronic-suckage. Nearly everything I own breaks down before it should.

11-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Like I mentioned in my op, the sensor died on the k10d and actually I was pretty pleased with Mack. they sent it to pentax for repair and it was fine. Took a while to get it back, but still I made out with the $80 warranty, since it failed after 2 years. I like the idea of the extended pentax warranty. I will call and see if I can get that.
11-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Quicksand, good deal getting your repair done at C.R.I.S. They do good work with quick turnaround.
Last two times I sent something to Mack, I don't know where it went to from there but it took twelve weeks for one repair and fourteen weeks for the another. I do not believe CRIS was handling their repairs at that time.
Well, I hope that it DID actually go there. I got an email from Mack saying they sent the camera "to the manufacturer" for further work. I'm pretty sure they didn't send it to Japan, so I'm assuming (and hoping!) it went to CRIS.

I want two things: for it to be fixed right the first time, and for it NOT to take 12-14 weeks like your experience!

I'm a little worried about the sticky shutter, since it's an intermittent issue that occurs only after the camera has been turned off for a while and with less-than-full batteries. But I was able to send a CD-R with some all-black exposures taken back-to-back with good exposures that illustrate the problem, with EXIF metering values that show exactly the same measurements and exposure values. So I hope that helped!

Time will tell. And like I said, I'll post an update here when I get the camera back.
11-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I wish mine was sent to Japan. It would explain a lot. :-) :-) Probably would have been fixed correctly too.
Only sent from Virginia to NewJersey , as I understood.
Whatever the issue, I do not believe it was not sent to CRIS.
11-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #23
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If you pay with a Gold/Platinum VISA/MasterCard or with an AmEx card, there is a 90-day warranty that covers damages/loss due to any reason. After that, there is a 1-yr additional warranty (double manufacturer's warranty period up to 1 additional year).
Ask you CC card company.
I'll be putting this to the test Friday. My brand new Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II was mounted on my brand new K-5, in a small travel camera bag. I had the bag clipped to my back-pack filled with my other lenses, the snaps came apart and the bag fell to the ground, The lens hood cracked and a piece broke off; and the lens barrel close to the front element has some scratches and deep scuffs. Worst part is the zoom ring which used to rotate like butter now needs force to rotate; it still takes great in-focus pictures at all apertures across the frame; it still front-focuses too . But given the zoom ring now operates very differently, something internal has to have been been affected. I got a warranty on the body, but not the lens @ the time. So I'll see what Visa has to say.

11-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If you pay with a Gold/Platinum VISA/MasterCard or with an AmEx card, there is a 90-day warranty that covers damages/loss due to any reason. After that, there is a 1-yr additional warranty (double manufacturer's warranty period up to 1 additional year).
Ask you CC card company.
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I'll be putting this to the test Friday. ....
For the record, [Visa] Credit Card 90-day "Buyer Protection" is "bool-sheet man!".

To cut to the chase, not covered is damage due to an action at my hands, or theft from or on a vehicle. Other forms of theft, yes. Other forms of damage, including flood or flowing water which usually is excluded, is covered. In the list of things covered was mention of Space Craft ... I kid you not. But if I dropped something, I'm SOL.

In addition, max reimbursement per claim is $500, $50K lifetime. So if you rely on this for say a stolen brand new K-5, you're only getting a percentage of the purchase price back.

Had I known all this I would have left the lens on a park bench, and filed a claim w/the police. Since I've called in on this I'm not about to do that now. ...but just pointing this out as an FYI for all the readers.

Luckily, the lens's operation is only slightly impaired in terms of the zoom ring's fluidity and lens is still quite operational.

Last edited by m8o; 11-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.