Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3-year extended warranty+repair/replacement for $300 for K-5

I just purchased the K-5, along with the $300 3-year Mack extended warranty + damage repair. I am not sure where else this topic is covered, but I'll ask it here again...

It also covers repairs as a result of customer caused damage like LCD screen cracks, dropping camera damage, etc. Tonight I will read the fine print, and decide whether I'll return this warranty of register my camera (assuming I keep it given the flash issue).

Is this a decent deal? Any thoughts? Any experience?

I've had the sensor die on my K10D and Mack replaced it no hassles, but that was a 2-year warranty for only $80 and was worth it.....

Thanks

11-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

My 3-year replacement at B&H was cheaper @ $195. Hope SageMax is as liberal w/the replacement if it comes down to it.
11-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I know at Squaretrade its 165 for 3 year manufacturer warranty and 250 for accidental stuff. A bit cheaper.
11-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never get extended warranties on anything - period. Every consumers group that I'm aware of advises against them.

11-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I never get extended warranties on anything - period. Every consumers group that I'm aware of advises against them.
If you saw my K10D body before Pentax USA rebuilt it -- a cracked bottom of the case, deformed frame jamming the battery door, and the ultimate a cracked, nea, shattered rear LCD -- you'd think differently. That happened within 2.5 months of ownership.

...would have got a completely new camera to replace it had I bought the warranty like I wanted to when I bought the camera; I just had such an infuriating salesman at B&H at the time and I wanted to get out of there and it slipped my mind. (that was 2007. I didn't see him there when I got my K-5.)
11-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
If you saw my K10D body before Pentax USA rebuilt it -- a cracked bottom of the case, deformed frame jamming the battery door, and the ultimate a cracked, nea, shattered rear LCD -- you'd think differently. That happened within 2.5 months of ownership.

...would have got a completely new camera to replace it had I bought the warranty like I wanted to when I bought the camera; I just had such an infuriating salesman at B&H at the time and I wanted to get out of there and it slipped my mind. (that was 2007. I didn't see him there when I got my K-5.)
No I wouldn't think differently. Your camera broke within the first 2.5 months of ownership and was covered under the manufacturer's warranty. It was fixed and returned? What is the issue? If it was a car would you expect a new one to replace it?

If I had bought an extended warranty on everything I have purchased that had extended warranties offered, I'd be out thousands of dollars. As it is, I have saved that money for other purchases.
11-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
No I wouldn't think differently. Your camera broke within the first 2.5 months of ownership and was covered under the manufacturer's warranty. It was fixed and returned? What is the issue? If it was a car would you expect a new one to replace it?
The first part I quote may remain the case regardless of the 2nd part, and that's fine. But the second sentence is your own assumption. If it factored into your conclusion, let me set you straight tho I don't expect it to change your thinking. (why would you compare this issue and the manner warranties on cameras operate which give full replacements, to warranties on cars which do not operate that way! Such poorly thought-out premise does not help your argument. )

I dropped it, multiple times. No, it was not covered by the manufacturers warranty. I spent a good deal more than the warranty cost to repair it. Used bodies cost far more at the time so the most cost-effective solution was to pay to repair mine.

I was mad at myself for not buying the warranty when I got the camera, and I would have been ahead if I got it. I got it on the K-5. If anything, that will at least ensure that the universe conspires to make sure I'll never do anything that requires me to need it this time.

Don't buy one. I hardly ever do on anything else. I won't say never, but almost never. But then again I never handle anything this complex, sensitive, nor put anything in such a high level of jeopardy as I do a D-SLR. So I probably will buy one on every D-SLR body I ever buy.

Last edited by m8o; 11-22-2010 at 05:36 PM.
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you pay with a Gold/Platinum VISA/MasterCard or with an AmEx card, there is a 90-day warranty that covers damages/loss due to any reason. After that, there is a 1-yr additional warranty (double manufacturer's warranty period up to 1 additional year).

Ask you CC card company.

I wouldn't pay $300 for 3-year warranty.
11-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Why don't you guys have a rider on your home owners insurance? All of my camera equipment and firearms are covered against loss or damage.
11-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually,
I found the exact same warranty at adorama.com for $165 (mack diamond 3 year protection). Now I know physical stores have higher prices and I paid the full $1600 for my camera plus $100 tax to benefit my state, but almost doubling the warranty price is a little much for me, so I returned the warranty today.... I will look into my credit card policy, thanks that was really good suggestion.
11-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Extended warranties are insurance. (Not technically, but practically.) Like any other kind of insurance, self-insuring (i.e., paying for repairs out of pocket) is statistically cheaper. But insurance offers (to varying degrees) assurance that things will be taken care of, and guidance when things do go wrong. I can completely understand a professional photographer paying a considerable amount for a warranty service that includes fast turn-around. I can completely understand a consumer who judges that while a $300 warranty is affordable, the 1/10th chance of having to replace a $1500 item is not.

Personally, I don't buy extended warranties. Sure, if there were a 5-year plan with 1-week turnaround for $20, I'd probably go for that--but that's not going to happen without some marketing department effectively throwing cash at me. I'd rather put $300 into retirement, and if I break my camera and can't afford to fix or replace it, then my hobby will suffer. But if it provides you peace of mind and allows you to go out and enjoy shooting, I can't see why not. "Value" to anyone other than me is something I'm not qualified to judge.

That said, it sounds like $300 is a bit overpriced--although the fine print between one electronics warranty and another can vary considerably, so the fine print is important and could easily swing hundreds of dollars in either direction. But Squaretrade.com just quoted $166 at Adorama's current K-5 (body only) price.

Actually, come to think of it, that's another reason why I don't buy extended warranties: comparison shipping requires comparing fine print, which I'm perfectly able to do but don't want to spend the hours on it.

Okay, I just read through Squaretrade's agreement. Basically, if you think your camera is more than 37% likely to fail in 3 years, then Squaretrade is a good deal. My impression is that Pentax SLRs fail at a far lower rate than 37% at 3 years, so I would pass on that. (This based on the price of the K-20D, a ~3 year year-old camera.)

And the Mack agreement. Squaretrade covers 3 years from purchase; Mack covers 3 additional years from the manufacturer warranty, which with Pentax is 1 year. Failure is highest within the last year, so that's more valuable. But only valuable if you think the failure rate is around 100% in 4 years, which it certainly isn't, so I would pass on that as well. (This based on the $300 price you quoted, and the value of the K-10D, a ~4 year old camera.)

Cripes. If I had the financial resources to swing it, I'd be happy to sell $300, 3-year warranties on items that'll only be worth $300 by the end of the warranty and that have a failure rate as low as Pentax's. That's a cash cow if I've ever seen one.
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

PENTAX : $99 for warranty extended through three years. (Was free with K7, but not with K5, bummer) I believe you can send directly to Pentax repair center such as C.R.I.S. (criscam.com)
Pentax warranty also includes one free trip in for general maintenance. (not a bad deal in the end)

MACK: cost more, send your item to Mack who then sends out to some "Pentax repair" shop... where the item is not fixed properly and needs to go back for re-repairs.
I got Mack on two items in the past. Both times repair was insufficient. Also each repair took upwards of FOURTEEN WEEKS to get my camera back!

FYI, my last repair as C.R.I.S. was perfect the first time and equipment back in just two to three weeks. (total round trip)

Go with Pentax warranty. $99 is not a big loss.
$300, as stated earlier, is probably the value of the item by the time it breaks down.

Last edited by amoringello; 11-22-2010 at 07:39 PM.
11-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
Why don't you guys have a rider on your home owners insurance? All of my camera equipment and firearms are covered against loss or damage.
One reason you might not is that even the mere inquiry about a potential claim at some insurance companies will put a bad mark on your record and they may drop your insurance after one claim.. for the home or not (i.e. relatively low personal property claim)
Loads of horror stories about how bad the homeowners insurance business has become. Just something to think about and investigate.

Usually have a $500-1000 or even higher deductible anyway, making the claim less useful. For $500-1000 I would spend $300 on a Mack warranty. (although it obviously wouldn't cover theft, etc...)
11-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
PENTAX : $99 for warranty extended through three years. (Was free with K7, but not with K5, bummer) I believe you can send directly to Pentax repair center such as C.R.I.S. (criscam.com)
Pentax warranty also includes one free trip in for general maintenance. (not a bad deal in the end)

MACK: cost more, send your item to Mack who then sends out to some "Pentax repair" shop... where the item is not fixed properly and needs to go back for re-repairs.
I got Mack on two items in the past. Both times repair was insufficient. Also each repair took upwards of FOURTEEN WEEKS to get my camera back!

FYI, my last repair as C.R.I.S. was perfect the first time and equipment back in just two to three weeks. (total round trip)

Go with Pentax warranty. $99 is not a big loss.
$300, as stated earlier, is probably the value of the item by the time it breaks down.
How do I got about a pentax warranty, should I just call them about it?
11-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
Forum Member

What a waste of money. You are betting $300 that you are going to have a problem.
Put the money towards a lens.

I have yet to hear of anyone (with proof) that got a “full replacement" after the
manufactures warranty ran out AND the problem for replacement was their own
fault like a drop or water damage, by putting in a claim to an extended warranty company,
even though they say you can make such a claim. Not with out the run around.

People view extended warranties like an insurance policy which, they are not.