Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 and High ISO Noise software

Hi all, took my K-5 for a night walk and shot between 3200 and 51200. I can't believe some of the results at the lower end of this range. Naturally as the noise from about 6400 has to be dealt with. I am currently using LR2.7, CS4 and Noiseware Public Edition.

What other noise reducing software would you recommend, free ware or otherwise?

Thanks

David

11-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LR 3 has greatly enhanced noise reduction feature (big improvement over LR2). Topaz denoise is a pretty good software as well that you can use in conjunction with LR3.
11-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photoshop CS5 has the same noise reduction software as Lightroom 3, so if you think it's time for an upgrade anyway....
We compared CS5 noise reduction to a couple of others, Topaz included and didn't see any reason to use anything other than the NR in Camera Raw.
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you deximus and Wheatfield, I have ordered LR3. I must say that as an old film user I can't get used to shooting noise free around ISO 800-1600, bloody amazing

David

11-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
bloody amazing
Damn straight. I tell my old man what I'm doing and at what ISO, he just shakes his head and laughs.
11-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
LR 3 has greatly enhanced noise reduction feature (big improvement over LR2). Topaz denoise is a pretty good software as well that you can use in conjunction with LR3.
From what I can tell, LR3/ACR + Topaz DeNoise 5 is about as good as you can get these days in terms of noise reduction. John Bee has done a great deal of work honing his NR skills, and his recommendation is to do color NR only in LR/ACR, i.e. leave luminance at 0, then do the rest of the job in TDN5. Some of the ultra-high ISO examples that he has posted from the K-5 are nothing short of incredible.

Rob
11-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Kun ostaa Mac ja siihen Aperture 3, on paras työkalu. Voi heittää kaikki lelut pois ja aloittaa loistava elämä. Muutaman vuoden kokemus on sen näyttänyt. Ja 20 vuoden piina ohi, kun on hävittänyt Windovs ja Adopen ohjelmat.
11-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Kun ostaa Mac ja siihen Aperture 3, on paras työkalu. Voi heittää kaikki lelut pois ja aloittaa loistava elämä. Muutaman vuoden kokemus on sen näyttänyt. Ja 20 vuoden piina ohi, kun on hävittänyt Windovs ja Adopen ohjelmat.
Very mechanical translation, I'll just clarify a few things.

"When you buy a Mac, and Aperture 3 to it, that is the best tool. You can throw all the toys out and start a wonderful life. A couple of years experience has shown that. And when you have destroyed Windows' and Adobes' programs 20 years of torment is over."

Now what I would like to see is some examples for comparison. Like Rob I think the high ISO pics. posted by John Bee are incredible. And if this is supposed to be even better it might even give people a reason to buy a Mac