Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
No, I just re-size the photo.
Thanks, that makes sense.

If this had happened to me, here in Germany, my very first guess would be that it is an item that was already bought once, and was then returned by a customer after he messed with it.

Therefore I'm curious: Just how can you be so sure that this defect was caused at the factory (i.e. poor QC)?

11-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the dealer should exchange it, i know most dealers here would (mind you they have to have one to exchange it, they are pretty hard to come by)
perhaps if he has a k7 demo he can give a loaner? don't know what HK retail policies are like

Thanks for advise.
Will try to ask exchange a new one tomorrow
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rainer Dynszis Quote
Thanks, that makes sense.

If this had happened to me, here in Germany, my very first guess would be that it is an item that was already bought once, and was then returned by a customer after he messed with it.

Therefore I'm curious: Just how can you be so sure that this defect was caused at the factory (i.e. poor QC)?

Because it doesn't only happen on my friend, we have serveral same cases here.
They are still asking to exchange a new one from the Pentax's dealer.
I know Pentax's Hong Kong dealer had informed Hoya Japan already.
I think this cmos problem may not happen only in Hong Kong.
11-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Just a clarification, it isn't a CMOS problem, it is a dust/contamination problem, which is a whole different issue.

11-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sigh.

So, the battery on my BMW died after 1 week. Shame on BMW for letting this happen in a brand new product!

A camera is a consumer product. If even 1 out of every 100,000 cameras has a hair or dust in it (no matter what the dealer might have done), then the factory Q.C. isn't "bad," they are just not perfect. "Perfect" Q.C. doesn't happen for anything that comes from a factory - that's life.
It seems your BMW example doesn't not make sense.
If you spend your money to buy a defective goods, what do you feel? ah!
11-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Tell your friend to ensure the Dust Removal is turned on and then trigger it a few times before sending the camera away to see if that removes the dust. And the scratch may be on the low pass filter not the sensor itself. Could be cheaper to replace the filter than the sensor.

He had used the Dust removal a hundred times and it can't work properly to fix the problem.

A brand new goods and just bought a few days ago. It doesn't make sense to spend the money to repair it.
He is asking to exchange a new one
11-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
So, the battery on my BMW died after 1 week. Shame on BMW for letting this happen in a brand new product!
I live in Munich. Batteries in a brand new BMW don't die after 1 week. Sacrilege!

(just kidding of course )

On the matter of the OP. I think that there a a few other reports of sensors with scratches too. It happens. Get a replacement body. No need to get it repaired. Technically, it is called "dead on arrival" and there should be a grace period for returns too.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-23-2010 at 11:14 AM.
11-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The Pentax's Hong kong technician also can not clean it up by kit.
They stated it need to send back to Japan to fix it.
This is not an independent case in Hong Kong.
I know there are same serveral cases in the poor cmos situation in Hong kong
This isn't a bad cmos situation it's just some bloody dust! Get the dealer to exchange it if you must and don't take any other answer. Solved.

Last edited by telfish; 11-23-2010 at 11:31 AM.
11-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

At F22 it could actually be dust in the lens... Dust and scratch marks on the sensor (aa filter actually) look a lot different and are a lot fatter...
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
This isn't a bad cmos situation it's just some bloody dust! Get the dealer to exchange it if yuo must and don't take any other answer. Solved.

What is your problem???
I'm just want to let everyone who bought K-5 to check their cmos carefully
Am I wrong? Solved
11-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
At F22 it could actually be dust in the lens... Dust and scratch marks on the sensor (aa filter actually) look a lot different and are a lot fatter...

Pentax's Hong Kong technician has recognized that is the cmos problem, not dust in the lens. They can not fix it in Hong Kong, but Japan can
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

if they are working towards an exchange then you're good, unfortunately there is no such thing as perfect QC regardless of brand product, DOA products happen everywhere and good dealers do the exchange and have deals with the vendors to allow for this (the reason I would generally avoid grey market, which precludes me from buying from the sponsors who sell product that would be considered Grey in Canada as it doesn't come through the useless Pentax Canada (too bad because Pentax US with Ned seems way more on the ball and bh has great pricing lately) - i'd still buy small items and used goods if they had what i wanted at the price though less concern with warranty issues
11-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

What is your problem???
I'm just want to let everyone who bought K-5 to check their cmos carefully
Am I wrong? Solved
I don't have a problem My K5 is fine.

I just hate it when people jump to conclusions and diagnose something completely incorrectly, then instead of asking for an exchange as any realistic person would, instead come on forums like this and whine about the issue and call it a sensor problem when its dust.

Rant over.
11-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Is it just me, or could that quite possibly be the worst photo ever produced? Marks and scratch aside I mean.

OP, if this camera is truly faulty that sucks, but it'll be replaced by Pentax, so what is the big deal? Your reports of additional similar findings are bordering on trollish without additional evidence as well, no offense. If they are actually true, maybe a pallet of K5s got shipped to Hong Kong on a freighter full of straw bales or something. There haven't been any other actual reports like this here from other users, so please at least confine your complaints to the one body you've provided some proof regarding.

Despite all of your smilie faces and exclamations, I do hope you understand some of the scepticism expressed here.
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Stick a different (clean) lens on this and post another photo. As has been said before these marks look too in focus and sharp to be on the sensor but they could be. A lens swap with a known good clean lens should prove it one way or the other.