Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Hey Guy , the camera was check by Pentax in Hong Kong and it's declare defective. It's not the OP who have declare defective

11-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If thats due to sensor why does this occur at F22? To me the scratch mark looks dangerous than the spots. Someone might have tried to clean the sensor dust manually when camera could have been at dealer and ended up damaging/scratching the protective filter over sensor it seems.

Another thing is first OP's friend should mention about dealer (how is its reseller rating?) and best would be to exchange for a new one. Let the dealer take care of returning/repairing of a bad camera.

Atindra
11-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
If thats due to sensor why does this occur at F22? To me the scratch mark looks dangerous than the spots. Someone might have tried to clean the sensor dust manually when camera could have been at dealer and ended up damaging/scratching the protective filter over sensor it seems.

Dust on the sensor is a huge problem at small f/stops. I shoot a lot of macro and close ups and routinely shoot at f/16-f/22.
Things that aren't visible at all at median apertures look like boulders (hyperbole alert) at f/22.
I'm not surprised at all that the OP's camera is showing dust on the sensor at f/22. If he's had it for a week, he's had plenty of time to get dust in the camera.

A word to the wise to the OP: F/22 is going to be a train wreck for sensor dust, and will be for any camera regardless of make or model, and will probably be a problem as soon as the camera is unboxed unless you live in a sterile, dust free environment (Hong Kong is anything but.....)

Sorry kid, but stopping down to f/22 and complaining about sensor dust isn't especially bright. I'd try a wet clean of the sensor before I sent it for repair (which will likely just be a cleaning anyway).
I'm betting that you can exchange that camera for any make/model until you give up photography out of frustration if you get this worked up over seeing dust on the sensor at f/22
11-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I first started to read this thread, I thought: "There we go again! Another negative thread, much like we had with the K7."

Seriously, doesn't that look like dirt and similar stuff on that sensor?
Why only in that specific city?

First time I read about a sensor declared defective when it can still take decent pictures ... or do we have such pictures?

Just get it out to Pentax if need be. And the OP wants some serious cleaning done professionally but ... arrgghh!

JP

11-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Hey Guy , the camera was check by Pentax in Hong Kong and it's declare defective. It's not the OP who have declare defective
Hmmmm .... What?
11-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #36
Forum Member

Come on guys, this is obviously a hoax.

Those red lines were added in MS Paint!
11-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I state here again, Pentax Hong Kong recognize that is not the dust problem. This is the cmos problem. There are 6 same cmos cases in Hong Kong.

Now, Pentax Hong Kong promise to exchange a brand new K-5 to my friend in these 2 days. They will fully check the new K-5 again before sending to my friend.

I love Pentax, I do not have this cmos problem in my K-5 & K-7.
I just want to share some bad possibility in cmos and remind the worldwide
K-5 owners check their cmos carefully according this problem.
I even don't know if this problem only occur in Hong Kong or somewhere else.

I do not understand why some people have a bad reaction here.
These guys must be a die hard fans of Pentax
If your K-5 does not has such problem, that's very good.
Keep on enjoy your K-5. That's it!

11-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Hm, interesting: on my macro shots I noticed almost exactly the same "hair- or scratch-like" thing at the center as in the OP's image. I have much less dust spots though.
11-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
I just want to share some bad possibility in cmos and remind the worldwide K-5 owners check their cmos carefully according this problem.
I for one thank you for that.

To sum it up, it seems like the best strategy to check the sensor is to take an out-of-focus picture of a white wall, using the smallest aperture (i.e. the biggest f-number) available on your lens. That should separate the wheat from the chaff, as far as this problem is concerned
11-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
When I first started to read this thread, I thought: "There we go again! Another negative thread, much like we had with the K7."

Seriously, doesn't that look like dirt and similar stuff on that sensor?
Why only in that specific city?

<snip>

JP
Some manufacturing errors occur in bursts. Perhaps a burst of a dozen or so occured in a series of bodies that stayed together and ended up in the same shipment. I have no idea if that's true here but it's plausible, if not comforting.

Post-manufacturing testing and QA? No comment ... don't know enough here.
11-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

You know, you folks could be ALL correct.....it could be dirt AND not cleanable by normal methods.

There is a very thin layer of clear glas covering the actual CMOS sensor. That is the surface the dirt sticks on....if the glass had some micro-dirt to start with, and it was assembled with the dirt on the INSIDE surface, its not cleanable....

In a case like this, the sensor simply needs to be replaced.
I would return the camera, if its still within the return policy.

I worked with an Electronic clean-room environment once in my previous career...they are cleaner than a surgical operating theatre......but just sometimes "Clean-Rooms" aren't clean enough. Sony has a very respected sensor manufacturing operations, but minor disasters do happen...

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-24-2010 at 07:43 PM.
11-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #42
Forum Member

That is Deffinetly a scratch on the Sensor, no dought about it
11-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Lover Quote
That is Deffinetly a scratch on the Sensor, no dought about it
Maybe someone tried too hard to clean the sensor?

JP
11-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
The Pentax's Hong kong technician also can not clean it up by kit.
They stated it needs to send back to Japan to fix it.
This is not an independent case in Hong Kong.
I know there are same serveral cases in the poor cmos situation in Hong kong

... this reminds me of the day I discovered Santa wasn't real.
11-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mscott Quote
... this reminds me of the day I discovered Santa wasn't real.
Crap. If Santa isn't real how am I ever gonna get a K5? Next you'll tell me that the lottery does not constitute a good retirement plan.