Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-5 first impressions, from a K20D user

Picked up my K-5 from the post office @ 7:31am
First impressions:
Its small, very small compared to the K20D yet at the same time feels heavier or more solid. The grip is nice and deep and is very comfortable for wandering around one handed. I will probably invest in the grip though as my little finger seems to be curling under the body. You do feel the sensor array moving around, its is a strange sensation, never felt it as much in the K20D.
They moved the green button! , this will be my biggest irritation for the next few days until I retrain myself. My finger automatically goes to the K-5s EV compensation button.
Besides charging the battery, the first thing I did was to install the M-OE53 viewfinder magnifer, the extreme upper right and left corners are partially vignetted with this, not an issue to me. The 100% coverage is already making me think more about my framing, I don't have the little extra to play with anymore. I will need the Katz Eye for this though, I am too intermittant with the 50 in nailing focus at the moment, then again the 50 is the hardest test any viewfinder will come up against
SD Card, flicking is the only way with this, came naturally to me after a couple of attempts. You have to be reasonably precise when loading it though.
Button on the mode dial, don't mind this too much, I generally stay in M or B modes and rarely change. I can see the benefits as I had the dial move on me a couple of times on the K20D while walking and it was hanging off a strap and rubbing off my side.
Shutter sound, been thinking on this one for a while, its like a knife on a sharpening stone, swish, swish. Nice, I like it, no more clunk and seeing every head within 20 feet turn towards me.
Menu?, once I found out where the Catch in Focus & Use Aperture Ring (C4 in case anyone is interested) I was set. It does have a lot happening in it which means we have a lot more to customise, I can't really comment after a few hours.
The main reason I got this was for the extra ISO capability, and it delivers in spades. One example, ISO1600, straight conversion from DNG to JPEG with max size of 1024 by 1024 as set out by Pentax Forums, K-5 with K50 f/1.2 @ f/1.2, AWB (in this instance the room was lit by LCD tv, and 2 small lamps), 1/15s

The K20D would got itself tied in knots with this shot. Colour noise (red tinge everywhere) would have been present, grain would have been a lot more visible, all in all a good 15 mins of PP would have been necessary just to get to this. Time is money and the K-5 is already paying back its €1,200

11-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I enjoyed going from K20D to K-7, so I'm sure you'll love the K-5! Apparently the focus is fast enough to catch an ALL Black diving over the Irish try line!

Cute pic.
11-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great match! Deserving Winners.
Careful though, i'm from Munster, ye lot still remember those hits!
11-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for this! as much for the picture shot at 1.2 as for the helpful discussion of the K-5. I hope to be able to buy a K-5 in a few months, but even now am eagerly awaiting delivery of a K 50 1.2 that i've just purchased. Your photo convinces me that this is a lens I really want.

11-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the sd card slot. It is a little tight for my fingers. Loving my k5 for sure
11-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Great match! Deserving Winners.
Careful though, i'm from Munster, ye lot still remember those hits!
Yeah I notice there's no Aussies chiming in!
11-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Button on the mode dial, don't mind this too much,
They've actually changed the dial from the K7 so the lock isn't quite as annoying to me on the K5 as it was on the K7. I haven't set them up yet but I suspect the 5 user modes will likely negate my need to turn the dial at all for the most part.

Enjoy your new camera. I've shot more with mine in the first 2.5 weeks than I did in months with previous cameras.

11-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Forum Member

Снимкатаѝ на котката не е на фокус или обектива не захранва матрицата!
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pefoto01 Quote
Снимкатаѝ на котката не е на фокус или обектива не захранва матрицата!
I believe its in focus where I want it to be, eye on left side. Don't understand the bit about matrix.. K series is a manual lens, no A setting. Main point I was trying to get across was to me a lack of noise compared to the K20D. Thanks for looking though
11-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@pefoto: You seem to have an in-focus obsession. An image does not have to be in focus to be successful.
11-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@pefoto: You seem to have an in-focus obsession. An image does not have to be in focus to be successful.

I kind of noticed that to. Just curious do you have a K5 or heard about focus issues that nobody else has?
11-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Forum Member

Да,аз много искам автофокуса да е бърз и точен.
Сигурен съм,че снимка,която е размазана/не е рязка/ е лоша.
Аз имам К-20 и снимам репортаж и улица и често автофокуса не е точен,а в тъмното е бавен.
Искам да купя скоро К-5,само ако има подобрен автофокус.
Аз снимам динамични сцени в слаба светлина и се нуждая от перфектен автофокус.
Поздрав!
11-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
AF not used, my eyes and fingers were instead. Lens was a manual K50 f/1.2 @ f/1.2 so a bit of softness would be kinda expected, its a portrait of a cat in low light hence ISO1600 .
11-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #14
Forum Member

Да,аз разбрах това че обектива е ръчен,но аз бих ползвал ъншарп маск за шарпнес на тази снимка в фотошоп после и тя ще стане хубава за да я показвам.
А снимката е интересна!
Салют!
11-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pefoto01 Quote
Да,аз много искам автофокуса да е бърз и точен.
Сигурен съм,че снимка,която е размазана/не е рязка/ е лоша.
Аз имам К-20 и снимам репортаж и улица и често автофокуса не е точен,а в тъмното е бавен.
Искам да купя скоро К-5,само ако има подобрен автофокус.
Аз снимам динамични сцени в слаба светлина и се нуждая от перфектен автофокус.
Поздрав!
Something like this from a gig last night?
K-5 & FA77 @f/4, ISO3200, JPG 2* direct from camera, no PP