Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #1966
Veteran Member

I love the colour on the rocks and the dynamic range. When you say you made use of the multiple exposure mode of the K-5 are you referring to the HDR bracketing or actual multiple exposures on one image?

PS. You image kinda looks like mountain tops peeking through a cloud layer.. cool!

11-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #1967

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Surfing in Reunion Island

Some surfing on the great spot of la Jetée in Reunion Island.

11-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #1968
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot Trig !
Great colour Spotreunion !

Click on the photo for details...

11-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #1969
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
When you say you made use of the multiple exposure mode of the K-5 are you referring to the HDR bracketing or actual multiple exposures on one image?
The multiple exposure feature is great and I use it quite often. You can take from 2-9 shots which are then merged into one image. As trig said, it's very useful when you want to take a long exposure but there is too much light.

This image was created using that function Greg Rowe Photography: West Australian Landcsapes and Seascapes.

The trick is to have something solid in the image to contrast the blurred effect of the water and clouds.

11-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #1970
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
For the first time for me, I made use of the multiple exposure feature on the K-5 because I didn't bring my ND filter with me. I didn't really need the ND to make the turbulent crashing waves look smooth. Cool feature to have!

Hi
Sorry to brush against the pile, but I am not a huge fan of those smooth water shots. They look too unnatural to me. If you crop out the rocks in the foreground (or even with them in it) you'd be forgiven to think you are sitting in a jet flying low over the alps above the clouds at dusk I have observed this sort of cloud cover and horizon colouring from a jet many times in my travels. (Thankfully not with the top of a mountain sticking out like this though)

Greetings
11-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #1971
Veteran Member

Gorgeous Photographs.

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice shot Trig !

That red is unbelievable. I have that same lens but have never seen anything like that come from it. All of your work is outstanding.

I've spent two days trying to sort out auto focusing issues and am really starting to believe I'd be better off just focusing manually with a Canon S type screen. I just can't get the AF fine adjustments to work in a linear way - they'll work for a couple of increments and then seemingly do nothing for another two and then jump past the point you really want. I'm going to try again tomorrow with a more refined chart and better lighting but I'm really starting to think AF should only be used when you don't have time to do it manually. I am assuming that all of your shots are manually focused. Am I correct?
11-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #1972
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
The multiple exposure feature is great and I use it quite often. You can take from 2-9 shots which are then merged into one image. As trig said, it's very useful when you want to take a long exposure but there is too much light.

This image was created using that function Greg Rowe Photography: West Australian Landcsapes and Seascapes.

The trick is to have something solid in the image to contrast the blurred effect of the water and clouds.
Cheers Greg,

I am not particularly interested in that effect but I now understand how it's achieved. I'd always thought it was just a single Bulb type exposure though. Thanks.
11-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #1973
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That red is unbelievable. I have that same lens but have never seen anything like that come from it. All of your work is outstanding.

I've spent two days trying to sort out auto focusing issues and am really starting to believe I'd be better off just focusing manually with a Canon S type screen. I just can't get the AF fine adjustments to work in a linear way - they'll work for a couple of increments and then seemingly do nothing for another two and then jump past the point you really want. I'm going to try again tomorrow with a more refined chart and better lighting but I'm really starting to think AF should only be used when you don't have time to do it manually. I am assuming that all of your shots are manually focused. Am I correct?
Thank you ! I have no AF problems with my lenses. Some macros are taken with (the K-5 is the first camera with which I can do that especially with SDM lenses), some not, essentially in poor light conditions or naturally MF lenses.

11-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #1974
Site Supporter

So many nice shots here!

I had to share this one.
Woke up yesterday morning needing to do the watering toilett trick desperatly... stumbled out in the livingroom aiming for the bathroom when the morning light almost knocked me to the floor.
I grabbed the K5, opened the door to the balcony and fired off a few with the 35mm f2.8 Topcor RE lens i had mounted. Then switched to a Vivitar Series1 70-210 and took a few more.
When I woke up a few hours later I didnt really remember taking the pictures. Well. I did sort of but not really...
Later I transferred the images to the pc and was quite stunned.
Click on them to get to the smugmug for bigger sizes.

This is one of the shots from the 35mm f2.8 Topcor lens.

And here is one with the Viv S1 lens.
11-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #1975

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice shot Trig !

fs999 - Awesome. The stamens on that red flower shot are amazing. The clarity is fantastic - great work as usual.

Here's one from a rookie-tripod-user. The colors were a bit dull that day so I went for this B&W conversion.

K5 + 18-55 WR
South side of Seattle, WA

exposure: 1/4s; f/20; ISO 100

11-11-2011, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #1976

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Sorry to brush against the pile, but I am not a huge fan of those smooth water shots. They look too unnatural to me. If you crop out the rocks in the foreground (or even with them in it) you'd be forgiven to think you are sitting in a jet flying low over the alps above the clouds at dusk I have observed this sort of cloud cover and horizon colouring from a jet many times in my travels. (Thankfully not with the top of a mountain sticking out like this though)

Greetings
No offense taken but this isn't really a critique thread but a thread at what the K-5 is capable of. Thanks for the feedback though. If someone goes through the motions to type out their dislike for something, well it moved them enough to do so. Either way, it got to them

I happen to REALLY like unnatural which is why I continued to butcher that same image into this monstrosity:

Natural just isn't always for me, and I am proud of that .

Anyway, love the K-5, just wish the lens change button had not fallen off. I am not looking forward to being without it for a while as it gets repaired...
11-11-2011, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #1977
Veteran Member

Nice shot Aliasant.
The annual Blues Festival is on this weekend i nmy little town so went down to get a bit of practice with my new DA 50-135. Loving this lens! I converted them all to B&W as it seemed to suit the subjects.

11-12-2011, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #1978
Forum Member

More photos of my kids. I really need to get away from the back yard.

Last edited by rkboid; 03-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.
11-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #1979
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
No offense taken but this isn't really a critique thread but a thread at what the K-5 is capable of. Thanks for the feedback though. If someone goes through the motions to type out their dislike for something, well it moved them enough to do so. Either way, it got to them

I happen to REALLY like unnatural which is why I continued to butcher that same image into this monstrosity:

Natural just isn't always for me, and I am proud of that .

Anyway, love the K-5, just wish the lens change button had not fallen off. I am not looking forward to being without it for a while as it gets repaired...
Hi

Sorry I did not want to be controversial. Was meant more as a humorous tongue in cheek comment, but I guess it was not written very well as such. It truly just reminded me of a view one gets sitting in plane when either the day starts or begins.

Greetings
11-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #1980

Photos: Albums
Missing my babies...

AMAZING Pictures of your children. Love the effects you chose. I have a K-5, I have a great lens,...but my children (ages 7 & 4) are still Stateside while I'm in Japan. No worries though, I will be with them soon. Here's a butterfly to cheer us up!
Attached Images