Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #211
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful photos everyone, especially Andi! Gorgeous photography, my friend. Where are you located by the way? Keep them coming everyone!

12-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 is really blowing me away at my daughter's basketball games. I'm using the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8: it's a bit short but a great half-court lens. Here are two samples at ISO 4500

Mostly I like to get tight on the action but, once in a while, I'll zoom wide for effect

12-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #213
Pentaxian

Early morning in Florida stalking deer with K5 and Sigma 50-150mm

Last edited by ivoire; 05-05-2011 at 06:14 AM.
12-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #214
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
World's lightest firearm!

These pics taken with my new K-5!

All I can say is WOW. An unnamed source at Smith & Wesson has confirmed what many industry insiders have guessed at for several months. In its never-ending quest for a firearm suitable for concealed carry that is as light as possible, it appears that S&W engineers have achieved an epoch-making breakthrough.

It's called the Etherium revolver, but inside the factory it has been code named the "Model X017." Light? You betcha. Under certain circumstances, the gun is actually lighter than air.

Under development for over three years, the .22 caliber revolver's manufacturing methods are closely guarded, but here's the gist of how it's done. The frame, cylinder and barrel shroud are made of a special alloy dubbed "Etherium" by the factory. It's reportedly composed of aluminum, scandium, and - get this - nitrous oxide! How this is accomplished is incredible. The alloy is injection molded, but with a high-pressure infusion of nitrous oxide, which you may recall is the same gas used to fill floating balloons. It's a difficult process that results in the metal being completely filled up with microscopic pockets of the gas. The molds are tricky, because they must be tough enough to withstand the high pressure, yet be able to allow very quick cooling of the alloy. Because the metal is somewhat porous, at present its use is limited to very low pressure cartridges such as the .22 LR. However, the factory is rumored to be considering its use for a similar .32 S&W gun.

The inside source revealed that one experimental revolver was left on a table overnight. When employees returned in the morning, it could not be found. Theft of the top secret gun was at first suspected, but a sharp-eyed employee noticed it was lodged against the ceiling of the room directly over the table! The engineers theorized that because the air cooled overnight, the air became more dense (heavier), allowing the revolver to actually float in the air.

The attached photos demonstrate this characteristic. They were taken in an S&W manager's back yard early in the morning. As you can plainly see, the revolver is actually floating in mid-air!

Again, this developmental revolver is still in the experimental phase, and no firm plans for production have yet been formulated.

12-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #215
Veteran Member

Are you in the forces?
12-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
These pics taken with my new K-5!

All I can say is WOW. An unnamed source at Smith & Wesson has confirmed what many industry insiders have guessed at for several months. In its never-ending quest for a firearm suitable for concealed carry that is as light as possible, it appears that S&W engineers have achieved an epoch-making breakthrough.

It's called the Etherium revolver, but inside the factory it has been code named the "Model X017." Light? You betcha. Under certain circumstances, the gun is actually lighter than air.

Under development for over three years, the .22 caliber revolver's manufacturing methods are closely guarded, but here's the gist of how it's done. The frame, cylinder and barrel shroud are made of a special alloy dubbed "Etherium" by the factory. It's reportedly composed of aluminum, scandium, and - get this - nitrous oxide! How this is accomplished is incredible. The alloy is injection molded, but with a high-pressure infusion of nitrous oxide, which you may recall is the same gas used to fill floating balloons. It's a difficult process that results in the metal being completely filled up with microscopic pockets of the gas. The molds are tricky, because they must be tough enough to withstand the high pressure, yet be able to allow very quick cooling of the alloy. Because the metal is somewhat porous, at present its use is limited to very low pressure cartridges such as the .22 LR. However, the factory is rumored to be considering its use for a similar .32 S&W gun.

The inside source revealed that one experimental revolver was left on a table overnight. When employees returned in the morning, it could not be found. Theft of the top secret gun was at first suspected, but a sharp-eyed employee noticed it was lodged against the ceiling of the room directly over the table! The engineers theorized that because the air cooled overnight, the air became more dense (heavier), allowing the revolver to actually float in the air.

The attached photos demonstrate this characteristic. They were taken in an S&W manager's back yard early in the morning. As you can plainly see, the revolver is actually floating in mid-air!

Again, this developmental revolver is still in the experimental phase, and no firm plans for production have yet been formulated.
And we care because....?? =/

Don't get me wrong, that is very interesting, but this is still a photography forum... don't really see the relevance
12-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter

I think perhaps the S&W post was intended as a bit of humor...
12-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #218
m8o
Veteran Member

I was quite sure of it actually ... I'd have thought "the gun is actually lighter than air" would have been a dead giveaway...

Paladin, do you catch a falling knife with the same success as with a falling gun?

12-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps the best response would have been "Yes, but does it tether?"
12-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #220
Inactive Account

K-5/Raynox DCR 250 w/ Voigtlander 58mm 1.4
Flash is Built-in w/ Diffuser. A lazy setup. Picture Cropped.

Obviously, the setup is wrong. haha. Coz its hard for me to really aim sharp at the subject.

1)

2)

3)

12-26-2010, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #221

Night shooting is amazingly easy with the K5. Things just seem to work without effort:

12-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #222

Awsome night shots there bats!

Here are some christmas photos from Sweden all with Pentax K-5 +DA40 Ltd

12-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #223
Veteran Member

Some more snowy shots with my DA*200.

12-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
Night shooting is amazingly easy with the K5. Things just seem to work without effort:

Very nice the both of them Bats

cheers

Neil
12-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #225
Loyal Site Supporter

A shot with my K28/2.0....