Great shots, Frederic!

Some from yesterday morning...

And a couple of my kids...

Anna

Elliot.

11-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #5298
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rondec and Frederic, your pics constantly amaze. Impressive!
11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #5299
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Echoing Sage97, these are wonderful shots to wake up to! I'm running out of terms of praise. May have to resort to double negatives 'not un-awesome' or the like.

11-10-2013, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #5300
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys truly are amazing! I regret that I have neglected this thread for so long....just forgot it was here! Most think of old Rupert as a squirrel shooter, with a few birds and such thrown in. I do love animals! However my first passion is shooting people. For the past year I had a nice little Downtown Studio, and had great fun doing just that. Since I am laid up here with this broken foot, I will start posting a few of my favorites from the past year to augment the wildlife shots.

Ava- My favorite "little" model. Her Dad owned the shop next to my studio, and he brought her over once every week or so for a few poses. I did all the shots for her for free, I was mostly there to have fun, and Ava was always fun!

Sometimes she brought her doggy...he was fun too!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Sometimes we had stuffed animals...
[IMG] [/IMG]

Sometimes she wanted to "look glamorous".....and she did!
[IMG] [/IMG]

This was always one of my favorites of Ava....
[IMG] [/IMG]

I shot lots of people...and some lovely young ladies a little older, I'll try to post a few as we go along. I know squirrels and birds can get old after a while!

Heck, I might even post a few K5 family portraits?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
11-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #5301
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You guys truly are amazing! I regret that I have neglected this thread for so long....just forgot it was here! Most think of old Rupert as a squirrel shooter, with a few birds and such thrown in. I do love animals! However my first passion is shooting people. For the past year I had a nice little Downtown Studio, and had great fun doing just that. Since I am laid up here with this broken foot, I will start posting a few of my favorites from the past year to augment the wildlife shots.

Ava- My favorite "little" model. Her Dad owned the shop next to my studio, and he brought her over once every week or so for a few poses. I did all the shots for her for free, I was mostly there to have fun, and Ava was always fun!

Sometimes she brought her doggy...he was fun too!
[/url] [/IMG]

Sometimes we had stuffed animals...
[/url] [/IMG]

Sometimes she wanted to "look glamorous".....and she did!
[/url] [/IMG]

This was always one of my favorites of Ava....
[/url] [/IMG]

I shot lots of people...and some lovely young ladies a little older, I'll try to post a few as we go along. I know squirrels and birds can get old after a while!

Heck, I might even post a few K5 family portraits?
[/url] [/IMG]

Regards!
Very enjoyable shots! Hope on your feet again soon, Rupert.
11-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #5302
Site Supporter

100% agreement with Sage and jva59 ... always a pleasure to see the posts to this thread. Merci, J
11-10-2013, 02:57 PM - 3 Likes   #5303

Photos: Gallery
Now that I returned the K3.. back to work with the K5 IIs

There's no better way to get over returning a camera than to get out and shoot with what you currently own. In my case that is the K5 IIs.

I love doing photography at night. It offers a totally different feeling than shooting during the day. It's quiet and lends itself to really taking your time to enjoy photography on a different level. Normally it is much quieter at night but on this occasion two competing packs of coyotes were trying to see which group could be the most vocal... but it did add to ambiance of the evening under the stars in west Texas.

This shot was taken last night near Fort Griffin, Texas. There was a half moon providing good ambient light but not enough to turn night into day during a long exposure. This little blacksmith's shop was an unexpected find. I was given access by the custodian of this historical area and was surprised to find the shop to be so complete in period equipment and its 1870s appearance.

There were no lights in this building but I have learned to bring a variety of lights for night work from soft LED floods to little LED contraptions I have made myself as well as a variety of flashlights. I used two of my little handmade LED lights to light the interior of the building, a red and amber LED, powered by a 9 volt battery. The type I used were ultra-bright and designed to run off of a 12 volt battery but 9 volts will run them for over 40 hours continuously.. no kidding, I created my first one and powered it for five days straight on a single 9 volt battery. The exterior of the building was painted with soft light from and LED flashlight with a slight amber filter over the lens.

For the interior lighting I control the intensity of the light in a very low tech manner... toilet paper... you need less light, you wrap toilet paper around it until you get the subdued light you need... this also allows the light to diffuse as well. Toilet paper is a very handy thing to have in the field.

I used the Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50 for this shot. Set up focus using AF and then switched to manual focus and locked it in. Exposure was 15 seconds at f/2.8 ISO 800. Lightroom was used for initial post-work then I moved the file to Photoshop CS6 for final tweaks, re-sizing and sharpening.

Hope you like it.. I had a great time taking it. Left Dallas at 10am Saturday morning and returned at 4:20am Sunday.. a full night of shooting and enjoying being out of the big city.

11-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #5304
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a fantastic night shot! Well thought out and seriously composed. I haven't been up that way in years, maybe I need to put Ft Griffin on my list, but I sure won't get any shots like that!

One of my favorite models at my little studio last year.
Shelby K5 Processed by my good friend Al.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
11-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #5305

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That's a fantastic night shot! Well thought out and seriously composed. I haven't been up that way in years, maybe I need to put Ft Griffin on my list, but I sure won't get any shots like that!

One of my favorite models at my little studio last year.
Shelby K5 Processed by my good friend Al.
[/url] [/IMG]

Regards!
Thanks, Rupert. I've only been shooting at night since June of this year and am still learning. It's a lot different than my other photo efforts and very enjoyable.

Great portrait shot. I've not ventured into that area but may try my hand at it at some point in the future.
11-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #5306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
There's no better way to get over returning a camera than to get out and shoot with what you currently own. In my case that is the K5 IIs.

I love doing photography at night. It offers a totally different feeling than shooting during the day. It's quiet and lends itself to really taking your time to enjoy photography on a different level. Normally it is much quieter at night but on this occasion two competing packs of coyotes were trying to see which group could be the most vocal... but it did add to ambiance of the evening under the stars in west Texas.

This shot was taken last night near Fort Griffin, Texas. There was a half moon providing good ambient light but not enough to turn night into day during a long exposure. This little blacksmith's shop was an unexpected find. I was given access by the custodian of this historical area and was surprised to find the shop to be so complete in period equipment and its 1870s appearance.

There were no lights in this building but I have learned to bring a variety of lights for night work from soft LED floods to little LED contraptions I have made myself as well as a variety of flashlights. I used two of my little handmade LED lights to light the interior of the building, a red and amber LED, powered by a 9 volt battery. The type I used were ultra-bright and designed to run off of a 12 volt battery but 9 volts will run them for over 40 hours continuously.. no kidding, I created my first one and powered it for five days straight on a single 9 volt battery. The exterior of the building was painted with soft light from and LED flashlight with a slight amber filter over the lens.

For the interior lighting I control the intensity of the light in a very low tech manner... toilet paper... you need less light, you wrap toilet paper around it until you get the subdued light you need... this also allows the light to diffuse as well. Toilet paper is a very handy thing to have in the field.

I used the Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50 for this shot. Set up focus using AF and then switched to manual focus and locked it in. Exposure was 15 seconds at f/2.8 ISO 800. Lightroom was used for initial post-work then I moved the file to Photoshop CS6 for final tweaks, re-sizing and sharpening.

Hope you like it.. I had a great time taking it. Left Dallas at 10am Saturday morning and returned at 4:20am Sunday.. a full night of shooting and enjoying being out of the big city.
Great shot in just every aspect!
11-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #5307
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Echoing Sage97, these are wonderful shots to wake up to! I'm running out of terms of praise. May have to resort to double negatives 'not un-awesome' or the like.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
100% agreement with Sage and jva59 ... always a pleasure to see the posts to this thread. Merci, J
Thank you all.
11-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #5308
Loyal Site Supporter

Another of one of my favorite K5 girls....with the DA*50-135, also one of my favorite lenses. Love it enough that I have had the SDM repaired....twice.
Lacy
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
11-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #5309

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Thank you ! The XS is fantastic

Click on the photos for details...
Nice, as always.

Please some details regarding sigma 8-16, would you recomend it? In your photos (like this one) is used at 8mm?
11-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #5310
Pentaxian

Thank you all !

Wonderful shots Rondec ! The sunlight reflection in Anna's hair and the bokeh are fantastic !

Superb studio shots Rupert !

Perfect night shot Jim Radcliffe !

QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
Nice, as always.

Please some details regarding sigma 8-16, would you recomend it? In your photos (like this one) is used at 8mm?
Thank you ! Yes at 8mm. I would recommend this lens, it is more sharp than DA 15mm, but the star effect is better with the last one, so I have both

Last edited by fs999; 11-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.