Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #5461
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,338
A couple more from the snow storm the other day.







12-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #5462
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,444
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A couple more from the snow storm the other day.



Really nice captures ... we never get nice snow like that in Poitiers ... Salut, J
12-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #5463
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,338
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Really nice captures ... we never get nice snow like that in Poitiers ... Salut, J
Thanks. You really aren't missing much. Probably don't get tornadoes either, do you?
12-09-2013, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #5464
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 273
We have the red bellied woodies all year round here


Last edited by rwingsfan; 01-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.
12-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #5465
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,444
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Thanks. You really aren't missing much. Probably don't get tornadoes either, do you?
Nope ... don't miss 'em either.

Have been in or near plenty though, since I grew up in "Tornado Alley" area (Tulsa) ... Salut, J ... the ex-pat "Okie" living in France
12-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #5466
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,444
QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
We have the red bellied woodies all year round here
Nice capture there ... we rarely see woodies in Poitiers (city area) ... maybe a couple of times a year, at best ... J
12-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #5467
Pentaxian
fs999's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,549
Superb shots Rupert and Rondec !

Click on the photos for details...









12-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #5468
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,444
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
... Click on the photos for details...
Wow! Another really great Soligor, Frédéric ... un grand merci et salut, J !

12-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #5469
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,242
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Wow! Another really great Soligor, Frédéric ... un grand merci et salut, J !
I say amen to that! Love the last one, a nice catch FS!

Some days are like this one was.....you just can't get it all right, but get part of it right which is just plain frustrating! I've been trying to get a shot of this little Eastern Towhee, he is the only one around, and they are not common here.

I got a couple of decent ones.....






But this is the one I wanted...and it was at a distance, so I had a lot of cropping to do...and it had branches across his body.....so there was a ton of cloning...then it was just OOF some...and a little too noisy......but I liked the composition and the bokeh so much I worked it anyhow and will use it as a card front where none of that will really matter much.




Ditto on this one...not up to standards, but it will still make a great card front. Sometimes it's about more than great IQ, it's about what you see that you like in color, composition or the subject.

Wish I could have seen her faster, I only got a quick snap before she flew away......all puffed up in the bitter cold.



Regards!
12-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #5470
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 273
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I say amen to that! Love the last one, a nice catch FS!

Some days are like this one was.....you just can't get it all right, but get part of it right which is just plain frustrating! I've been trying to get a shot of this little Eastern Towhee, he is the only one around, and they are not common here.

I got a couple of decent ones.....






But this is the one I wanted...and it was at a distance, so I had a lot of cropping to do...and it had branches across his body.....so there was a ton of cloning...then it was just OOF some...and a little too noisy......but I liked the composition and the bokeh so much I worked it anyhow and will use it as a card front where none of that will really matter much.




Ditto on this one...not up to standards, but it will still make a great card front. Sometimes it's about more than great IQ, it's about what you see that you like in color, composition or the subject.

Wish I could have seen her faster, I only got a quick snap before she flew away......all puffed up in the bitter cold.



Regards!
The captures of that Towhee are fantastic. I am quite envious of many of your bird shots. I am trying hard to get to that level

12-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #5471
Pentaxian
fs999's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,549
Thank you Sirs !

Wonderful shots Rupert ! The last one is so lovely !
12-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #5472
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,242
Thanks rwingsfan....FS..... These were not the quality I wanted, but I do have to remember that I am shooting at long range, through windows (that need cleaning) and at very high ISO for this type of subject.

It was only a few short years ago, before the K5, that almost none of my shots like this would have been useable at ISO 3200....or even 1600. Sometimes we forget how far we have come. An example......a while back I was hoping to get a shot of a Painted Bunting, which is rare around my place. One dark cloudy morning with low heavy clouds, one landed in front of my windows on the fence. I was new to the K5 and still in my K20D "state of mind" didn't even bother to think about shooting it in that light. Then I realized I had the K5 and the Bigma was mounted.....so I picked it up, switched to Tav and fired. The result, though not a masterpiece, cleaned up fairly well and I got my shot! I still like this shot, they are such colorful little birdies, and I would never have even locked focus with the K20D.

ISO 12,800 F6.7 1/125 @ 500mm through my office windows.



A later date at ISO 1600..



Just for fun, here is a close up Woody for you this morning!



Regards!....Stay warm, it's 19F here this morning...we're not used to that kind of cold!
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #5473
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,242
This little guy was itching to have his photo posted this morning....




So here it is!



Regards!
12-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #5474
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 273
I have the same things to deal with. Enclosed porch with windows (that are half way clean) and the reflections. Saw this little gal waiting for her turn at the suet.

Last edited by rwingsfan; 01-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.
12-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #5475
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,242
She is a cutie! Nice catch! Birds are amazing to me, but I admit, I am getting tired of shooting them after 3 months of it!

Just one bird for today.....but he's a handsome one! This bird is two years old, in his prime condition with a perfect coat of silky feathers and unblemished. He will have plenty of mates this Spring calling for his services!

Attachment 198072

Regards!

Keep up the posting...let me just enjoy your views for a while, I need a break, and you probably need a "bird break" too!

Last edited by Rupert; 08-15-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bottom, camera, color, dslr, esp, flickr, gas, hill, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, perspective, photos, pictures, post, shadow, shots, sigma, sigma 30mm, town, vegas
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 AF Tests jpzk Pentax K-5 140 05-11-2011 02:10 PM
DA* 60-250mm tests.. Mystic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-27-2009 01:11 PM
Resolution Tests YarPcola Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 05-07-2008 05:09 PM
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 tests AlexL Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 04-14-2008 06:33 AM
First P-D FA 100mm tests... Duh_Vinci Post Your Photos! 5 03-19-2007 11:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top