Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #826
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Gilzuma....what a gorgeous flower bloom shot! Love the soft flowing color...spectacular!

Otis is still here enjoying every shot you guys post.....he has managed to get a little more comfortable, so keep them coming as he looks in!
LOL! Love the Otis pix. You using a 55-300, or what?

05-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #827
Senior Member
Skymist's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Monterey Bay, Callifornia
Posts: 107
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Gorgeous macro, Skymist.

*My* 70-300 Tamron won't come CLOSE to that resolution. Even shooting off a tripod, mirror up, and downsampled to web sized, my 70-300's shots look soft at the long end.
I had some softness at first too doing these bee shots, but was able to avoid it mostly. I had to go back for a second day of shooting. Try stopping it down to at least F/9 by setting your K-5 ISO to 800-3200, then go for the highest shutter speed which you can manage. If it's still too fuzzy, maybe something's not quite working right.
05-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #828
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by Skymist Quote
I had some softness at first too doing these bee shots, but was able to avoid it mostly. I had to go back for a second day of shooting. Try stopping it down to at least F/9 by setting your K-5 ISO to 800-3200, then go for the highest shutter speed which you can manage. If it's still too fuzzy, maybe something's not quite working right.
It's just soft. I've done the ruler trick to see if it's FF or BF, but even the part that's in sharp focus, isn't. I've tested from f5.6 down to f22. It gets sharper up to F11 and then starts falling off (predictably). But at no point is it as sharp as your bee picture here. If I back it down to, say, 180, it's MUCH better. Are these macros shot at less than 300mm? (that's where my problems are)
05-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #829
Senior Member
Skymist's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Monterey Bay, Callifornia
Posts: 107
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
It's just soft. I've done the ruler trick to see if it's FF or BF, but even the part that's in sharp focus, isn't. I've tested from f5.6 down to f22. It gets sharper up to F11 and then starts falling off (predictably). But at no point is it as sharp as your bee picture here. If I back it down to, say, 180, it's MUCH better. Are these macros shot at less than 300mm? (that's where my problems are)

No, I doublechecked and these are all max telephoto in macro mode, 300mm. Perhaps your lens has got a problem of some sort, or mine is abnormally sharp. I got mine on Ebay for $115 a few weeks ago. I've been shooting like crazy with it. The non-macro shots are good too, such as birds. Here is a bumblebee shot which I verified was shot in the same conditions. You can see pretty clearly the focus zone in this shot, and separate out the focus blur (lower flower) from the motion blur (bee's feelers for example - this bee "shakes its head" at high speed when feeding and the blur shows it - I should have gone to 1/1000s or faster).

Detail this shot: Pentax K-5, 1/500th sec, 1600 ISO, F11, using Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di macro in macro mode, with "C" autofocus and manual exposure. Cropped slightly.



05-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #830
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by Skymist Quote
No, I doublechecked and these are all max telephoto in macro mode, 300mm. Perhaps your lens has got a problem of some sort, or mine is abnormally sharp. I got mine on Ebay for $115 a few weeks ago. I've been shooting like crazy with it. The non-macro shots are good too, such as birds. Here is a bumblebee shot which I verified was shot in the same conditions. You can see pretty clearly the focus zone in this shot, and separate out the focus blur (lower flower) from the motion blur (bee's feelers for example - this bee "shakes its head" at high speed when feeding and the blur shows it - I should have gone to 1/1000s or faster).

Detail this shot: Pentax K-5, 1/500th sec, 1600 ISO, F11, using Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di macro in macro mode, with "C" autofocus and manual exposure. Cropped slightly.
Thanks for taking the time! I think I've discovered my issue. Mine is *much* sharper when focused very close than when focused at a distance. Mine is also not the one with "macro" mode; it only goes down to ~1/5. So that probably matters, too. It's ok; I got my 55-300 today, and it's a MUCH better lens for shooting at birds:




I've got Bigma, and a 50-135, but I've been looking for a lightweight X-300 zoom for some time, and all of them were *terrible*. The 55-300, it seems, is not *terrible*
05-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #831
Senior Member
Skymist's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Monterey Bay, Callifornia
Posts: 107
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Thanks for taking the time! I think I've discovered my issue. Mine is *much* sharper when focused very close than when focused at a distance. Mine is also not the one with "macro" mode; it only goes down to ~1/5. So that probably matters, too. It's ok; I got my 55-300 today, and it's a MUCH better lens for shooting at birds:...
I've got Bigma, and a 50-135, but I've been looking for a lightweight X-300 zoom for some time, and all of them were *terrible*. The 55-300, it seems, is not *terrible*
Ok, I did this shot using the same Tamron lens, at 300mm, not in macro mode. Still fairly sharp. Is it possible that the Tamron 70-300mm was improved when they introduced the one with the macro switch? Distance was about 10ft. Pentax K-5, at 1/1000s, F/11. Male House Finch, on the rigging of a sailboat. Lighting on this shot is wrong, most of the bird is in its own shadow. Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di macro in non-macro mode. Autofocus-S, Program AE.

05-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #832
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
A few shots from yesterday...







05-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #833
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: paris
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7
street art (DA21) and macro (rev. FA 35)...

Name:  bird.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  355.6 KB

Name:  poulpe.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  288.2 KB

Name:  meow2.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  196.4 KB

Name:  schalies.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  281.4 KB

Name:  chenille.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  157.9 KB

05-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #834
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,397
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
LOL! Love the Otis pix. You using a 55-300, or what?
Otis sends his thanks and best regards! Yes, I am shooting a lot with my Bigma, always have since I got it several years ago. Squirrels love it, the big ol' lens makes them feel important, not that they aren't anyhow!

Here is a little "Christmas Squirrel"...he was born the week of Christmas 2010. Normally Squirrels give birth in the Spring, but here where they have grown up with plenty of fine food 24/7 365, they are likely to give birth anytime.
Best Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #835
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 149
Vervet monkey mother and babe, in South Africa (K5 and DA*60-250)
05-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #836
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,397
Great shots...keep them coming! I told Otis you guys dropped a few shots on the ground, and he is checking it out......
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #837
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
Vervet monkey mother and babe, in South Africa (K5 and DA*60-250)
Oh, that's just gorgeous. I'm envious of that 60-250, too. I've often wished I'd gotten it instead of the 50-135, but hey, I love that one too.
05-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #838
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 82
Some swedish ants

Last edited by Purusam; 01-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #839
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by Purusam Quote
Some swedish ants
Very sweet macros. That's flash, right? A diffuser over on-camera, maybe? It's not flat like a ringlight - it has nice modeling and crisp highlights. Which lens?
05-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #840
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Umeĺ, Sweden
Posts: 17
Spring has finally arrived in northern Sweden - and with it came my K-5. I hesitated a long time before I finally decided to sell my K20D and buy a K-5, but now I can say it was the right decision. I could not be happier.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bottom, camera, color, dslr, esp, flickr, gas, hill, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, perspective, photos, pictures, post, shadow, shots, sigma, sigma 30mm, town, vegas
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 AF Tests jpzk Pentax K-5 140 05-11-2011 02:10 PM
DA* 60-250mm tests.. Mystic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-27-2009 01:11 PM
Resolution Tests YarPcola Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 05-07-2008 05:09 PM
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 tests AlexL Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 04-14-2008 06:33 AM
First P-D FA 100mm tests... Duh_Vinci Post Your Photos! 5 03-19-2007 11:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top