Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2572 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #871

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
Hi Skymist,
I'm desperately looking for astrophotographies taken with k5 (Im still with k100d and look for an upgrade for occasional astrophoto) and hope such a section opens in this forum.
Not to be rude , but your pic is not showing the K5 as a good astrophoto camera (but you may have not pp your pic as most do).
If you do more astrophoto, i'd be pleased to see some more, specially wide sky landscapes.
Glad to hear from someone else who takes sky pictures. Yes, we could request an astronomical or scientific section to the site. It's not ever going to be a popular one, but posts will remain relevant for years.

So what kind of picture would show K-5 in a better light? The composite picture I posted was mostly to show sharp focus and resolution. Generally I convert to monochrome but I didn't this time. And I pushed the exposure until the background noise became apparent, though most of what you see is remnant of sky glow. I'm still learning as I go. I started out with a Canon 550D, and the K-5 seems to be superior to the Canon for this purpose.

05-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
astro timelapses

I have been messing around with long exposure wide angle timelapses with my K-5. Some examples are here:

http://jbinpg.dyndns.org

The animations are hobbled by having to save in gif format with its limited palette leading to much blockiness on some shots. But it does show the K-5 is quite capable of doing series such as these. I use Remote Continuous Shooting drive mode at either ISO1600 or 3200 and exposures of 8 seconds for celestial equatorial shots or up to 30 seconds for polar zones. I either use my old M28/2.8 or the new DA 35 AL/2.4 at f/4. The new DA 35 has very little coma making it good for this type of photography. Having the camera powered by the AC->DC inverter is a good idea since these exposures span about a one hour period.

Jack
05-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #873
Inactive Account

iso - 5000

05-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #874
Inactive Account

sports with k-5

05-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #875

QuoteOriginally posted by LEON Quote
sports with k-5

טוב לראות שיש עוד פנטקסאים ישראלים!
לפעמים אפשר לחשוב שאני היחיד עם פנטקס בארץ...
וסחתיין על התמונות
and in English:
glad to see another Israeli pentaxian !
some times it feels like I'm the one with pentax in Israel

Last edited by Eran.mrg; 05-09-2011 at 07:48 AM.
05-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #876
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eran.mrg Quote
טוב לראות שיש עוד פנטקסאים ישראלים!
לפעמים אפשר לחשוב שאני היחיד עם פנטקס בארץ...
וסחתיין על התמונות
and in English:
glad to see another Israeli pentaxian !
some times it feels like I'm the one withe pentax in Israel
גדול!!!
אתה לא לבד יש עוד כמה שקטים... חחח.

in English:

Great!
You're not alone there are a few more they are quiet ... Lol .
05-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #877
Inactive Account

05-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #878

QuoteOriginally posted by LEON Quote
גדול!!!
אתה לא לבד יש עוד כמה שקטים... חחח.

in English:

Great!
You're not alone there are a few more they are quiet ... Lol .
שקטים מדי, אנשים לפעמים שואלים אותי מה זה פנטקס!

too quite, people sometimes ask me what is pentax!
05-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #879
Inactive Account

05-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #880
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eran.mrg Quote
שקטים מדי, אנשים לפעמים שואלים אותי מה זה פנטקס!

too quite, people sometimes ask me what is pentax!
Tell them that it is the one that takes better pictures lol
05-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #881
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
Hi Skymist,
I'm desperately looking for astrophotographies taken with k5 (Im still with k100d and look for an upgrade for occasional astrophoto) and hope such a section opens in this forum.
Not to be rude , but your pic is not showing the K5 as a good astrophoto camera (but you may have not pp your pic as most do).
If you do more astrophoto, i'd be pleased to see some more, specially wide sky landscapes.
If I understand her explanations, Skymist is doing... "forensic" astrophotography? Looking for satelites is not the same as producing an aesthetically pleasing image of the sky, and I thought, for that purpose, the shots were very impressive. Note Skymist said the satellite trail discovered wasn't visible with the naked eye.
05-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #882
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time for a naked Girly?........Squirrel.
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #883

Rupert, I DO like the squirrel pics,lol, keep posting them. But a bit off topic, I am curious about the colour of the core of the sweetcorn. I've never seen a red one as in the above shot? They're normally a yellowy white??? (or at least here in the UK)

woody
05-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #884
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Rupert, I DO like the squirrel pics,lol, keep posting them. But a bit off topic, I am curious about the colour of the core of the sweetcorn. I've never seen a red one as in the above shot? They're normally a yellowy white??? (or at least here in the UK)

woody
That's not sweet corn. Commonly referred to as feed corn or dent corn. Used as animal feed and also ground into corn meal for human consumption.
05-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #885

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
If I understand her explanations, Skymist is doing... "forensic" astrophotography? Looking for satelites is not the same as producing an aesthetically pleasing image of the sky, and I thought, for that purpose, the shots were very impressive. Note Skymist said the satellite trail discovered wasn't visible with the naked eye.
That's exactly right. Those photos were not for esthetic purposes in the slightest. The object was to grab the most light possible, keep the tracks of faint objects very fine, and suppress noise. The K-5 is great for that purpose. I'm enjoying the sense of adventure it gives to be able to get faint sky objects photographed, and I feel that the noise control is better in the K-5 than in other cameras I've tried for this.

I started a separate astrophotography thread.