Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #2071
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Nice shot. I love street candids. - I would brighten his eyes a little bit though

Thanks for the tip, Smeggypants. Good suggestion (and a good exercise to figure out how do do it):

Attached Images

12-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #2072
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Click on the photo for details...

12-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #2073

This is at LAX...I was just entertaining myself while waiting for my flight back to Oakland. The processing made it pretty interesting.

I had the camera set to TAv and used my trusty Tamron 17-50.

12-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #2074
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Click on the photo for details...

Very nice, I enjoyed them very much!

12-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #2075
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disney

12-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #2076
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackRockBacon Quote
This is at LAX...I was just entertaining myself while waiting for my flight back to Oakland. The processing made it pretty interesting.

I had the camera set to TAv and used my trusty Tamron 17-50.

NIce shot. Looks like a radioactive Xmas for you then. ;-)

I have a T17-50 and I find the corners are pretty bad.. maybe bad astigmatism. Unfortunately, around here there are none available to compare with.

EDIT: What F-Stop was that? I assume it was 17mm FL? My Tamron only goes to 17.01mm unfortunately..

Last edited by bossa; 12-06-2011 at 12:47 AM.
12-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #2077
Veteran Member

Does anyone here find the vertical portrait oriented APS-C format too narrow? I do but it's fine in landscape mode I feel.

12-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #2078
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by je1dedo Quote
Beautiful light you've captured here!

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice shots all ! Especially Whitby Abbey !
Thanks fs999! I must say, your shots are an inspiration to me. The clarity and colour they exude is, at times, breathtaking.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Another travel snap from France...
Likewise, twitch, this is friggin' awesome!

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackRockBacon Quote
This is at LAX...I was just entertaining myself while waiting for my flight back to Oakland. The processing made it pretty interesting ...
Nice use of angle here

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Disney
Great shots! I especially like the last two.

Last edited by bickrs; 12-06-2011 at 03:39 AM.
12-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #2079
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Does anyone here find the vertical portrait oriented APS-C format too narrow? I do but it's fine in landscape mode I feel.
I know what you mean, but it's the only format in DSLR I have ever tried. I did find it 'different', when I first picked up my old K200D, but I'm used to it now.
12-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #2080
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote
I know what you mean, but it's the only format in DSLR I have ever tried. I did find it 'different', when I first picked up my old K200D, but I'm used to it now.
A slightly wider aspect ratio would've been better I feel, at least for portraits.
12-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #2081

NIce shot. Looks like a radioactive Xmas for you then. ;-)

I have a T17-50 and I find the corners are pretty bad.. maybe bad astigmatism. Unfortunately, around here there are none available to compare with.

EDIT: What F-Stop was that? I assume it was 17mm FL? My Tamron only goes to 17.01mm unfortunately..
It's funny you should say that about the corners being pretty bad, I have noticed at 17.01 (mine doesn't go to 17mm either) the right side has bad blurring just along the edge in some photos, I thought I must have been imagining it. The 18-55 WR Pentax kit lens had it on the right side really bad I got a refund as the dealer could see it too.
Anyhow heres one photo I am pleased with no blurring, I used Vibrant mode with +2 Contrast and Sharpness and -1 Saturation.
PS. Just looking at my photo I posted and it looks quiet fuzzy compared to the ones above, don't know what I'm doing wrong
Attached Images

12-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #2082
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ross Quote
It's funny you should say that about the corners being pretty bad, I have noticed at 17.01 (mine doesn't go to 17mm either) the right side has bad blurring just along the edge in some photos, I thought I must have been imagining it. The 18-55 WR Pentax kit lens had it on the right side really bad I got a refund as the dealer could see it too.
Anyhow heres one photo I am pleased with no blurring, I used Vibrant mode with +2 Contrast and Sharpness and -1 Saturation.
PS. Just looking at my photo I posted and it looks quiet fuzzy compared to the ones above, don't know what I'm doing wrong

The blurring is usually caused by a de-centered element or two and can be fixed by stopping down a fair bit. The effect can be a product of the physical design of the mechanism apart from the lenses themselves.The 17-50 also has a very curved focal plane so it's hard sometimes to work out what's going on with DOF. There's also blurred sagittal and meridional effects which confuse the issue for me.... you know? Blur effects within the image seem to go in different directions almost in the one place. Apart from the 17.01mm FL I'm not all that impressed with that lens (mine at least). The Bokeh of the 17-50 is quite nervous as well and so things like bushes can be very distracting when not in focus. I need to contribute to the forum before I can upload some more files or I'd show you what I mean with an image or two.

As far as your work looking fuzzy, I have the same issues here. It seems you have to exaggerate the contrast, clarity and sharpening of the output for the format here. Things that are razor sharp on my screen look quite dull after uploading.

Sorry for going OT.

Last edited by bossa; 12-06-2011 at 03:37 AM.
12-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #2083
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ross Quote
Are you shooting RAW mode and developing in Adobe Lightroom? . There are other digital darkroom software products as well but that's the one I use right now.

If you're just shooting jpegs and uploading them then your picture is looking great
12-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #2084

The blurring is usually caused by a de-centered element or two and can be fixed by stopping down a fair bit. The effect can be a product of the physical design of the mechanism apart from the lenses themselves.The 17-50 also has a very curved focal plane so it's hard sometimes to work out what's going on with DOF. There's also blurred sagittal and meridional effects which confuse the issue for me.... you know? Blur effects within the image seem to go in different directions almost in the one place. Apart from the 17.01mm FL I'm not all that impressed with that lens (mine at least). The Bokeh of the 17-50 is quite nervous as well and so things like bushes can be very distracting when not in focus. I need to contribute to the forum before I can upload some more files or I'd show you what I mean with an image or two.

As far as your work looking fuzzy, I have the same issues here. It seems you have to exaggerate the contrast, clarity and sharpening of the output for the format here. Things that are razor sharp on my screen look quite dull after uploading.

Sorry for going OT.
I just sent you a message with my e-mail address.I hope this blurring is just the lens and not the camera, how are your other lens do you notice any problems. I took two photos of my garden side by side I was going to make a pano , when I looked at the photos the 1st one is very blurry but the 2nd photo which was taken same place just a little more to the right is pretty sharp except the left side.I just don't know whats going on its quiet radom when it happens. Before I use up all my free posts I will enclose two more photos outlining the bad focus area, gee my Nikon D300's and it;s 16-85 lens looks like my camera of choice from now on, look out Gumtree someone might get a cheap Pentax. Here's two photos.
Attached Images

12-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #2085

Handheld focus stack from 4 images.