Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2573 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #4651
Forum Member

Last edited by PushTheRedButton; 06-10-2013 at 10:58 PM.
06-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #4652

Photos: Albums
I know this is probably a stupid Question but I'm not a professional photographer . I have been reading about the different lens in the lens place on here and in a lot of the reviews people say since they put a lens on the k-5 that the pictures are sharper. Are they sharper because you can set the iso higher so you can use smaller f stop openings and still get good pictures because if the higher iso. and thats why its sharper . or is it in the camera that makes it sharper. I have a k10d and I was wondering if you used the same lens on a k10d and then put it on a k-5 at a iso setting of 100 would you be able to tell the difference . or is the whole reason you want a k-5 is because you can set the iso higher and get better pictures with the same lens. If someone has a k10d and a k-5 will you take a picture of the same thing at the same settings something outside with a 200mm like the tamron 18-200 at 200. of a squirrel or bird. so I can see for my self the differences . thanks for your help . all the photos above are great.
06-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #4653

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting that an Emperor with such a life would still have such a beautiful Tomb. His hand picked successor lasted only 3 days, but his tomb was completed 4 years after he died. You read these accounts of lives like his, and you think "you couldn't make up this stuff".
Thanks!
Did you come Hue?
06-10-2013, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #4654

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
I know this is probably a stupid Question but I'm not a professional photographer . I have been reading about the different lens in the lens place on here and in a lot of the reviews people say since they put a lens on the k-5 that the pictures are sharper. Are they sharper because you can set the iso higher so you can use smaller f stop openings and still get good pictures because if the higher iso. and thats why its sharper . or is it in the camera that makes it sharper. I have a k10d and I was wondering if you used the same lens on a k10d and then put it on a k-5 at a iso setting of 100 would you be able to tell the difference . or is the whole reason you want a k-5 is because you can set the iso higher and get better pictures with the same lens. If someone has a k10d and a k-5 will you take a picture of the same thing at the same settings something outside with a 200mm like the tamron 18-200 at 200. of a squirrel or bird. so I can see for my self the differences . thanks for your help . all the photos above are great.
You mean their pictures sharper because they use K5 with higher ISO, right? I don't think so.

06-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #4655
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Click on the photos for details...

06-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #4656
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots fs999 ! ... love the bokeh with the flowers ... J

Great dolphin statue, PushtheRedButton !
06-11-2013, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #4657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't notice sharpness difference between a K10 and k5 -- except in situations where I am able to have faster shutter speeds in order to keep the subject sharp. My K10 really maxed out at about iso 800, where I feel able to go to iso 3200 with the K5.

The biggest difference is really dynamic range -- at base iso, K5 has better dynamic range by a little under 3 stops. This lets you take a landscape photo and be able to expose for the highlights and at the same time bring up the shadows in post processing and have real detail there.

06-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #4658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some amazing pictures on here. I can't keep up! Es gibt hier in VT nichts anderes als Regen. Soo...

A self portrait on a hike in the rain. Camels Hump. 16-50.

Tamron 90. fs999 will need to help me on my macros!

But there was one blue sky day in the past 2 weeks...

06-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #4659
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
Some amazing pictures on here. I can't keep up! Es gibt hier in VT nichts anderes als Regen. Soo...

A self portrait on a hike in the rain. Camels Hump. 16-50.

Tamron 90. fs999 will need to help me on my macros!

But there was one blue sky day in the past 2 weeks...

Nice ones!

Hoffentlich bald gibt es schoenes Wetter!
06-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #4660

Stunned!!!

Blimey!! There are some amazing photographers out there - pro and amateur. These pictures give me faith in the human species once again! - That and a nagging compulsion to get out there and start using my K-5 that I bought and have hardly touched!!! !!
06-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #4661
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Jean and Eagle94VT! Nice macro ! I would be glad to help you if I can...
06-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #4662

A child at Tomb of emperor Tu Duc, Hue, Viet Nam. I think she's French. Anyone here is her relative )

06-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #4663
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fanofcc Quote
Thanks!
Did you come Hue?
No, I read the write up in Wikipedia... years ago during the Vietnam war I had dinner with a North Vietnamese delegation, and I've always been interested in going to their country.... but at this point that's probably one of the bucket list items that is never going to get checked.
06-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #4664
Veteran Member

Yeah, I love taking pictures of my dog Ernie. I'll try to make this the last one I post of him for a while. He loves that green spiny ball.

06-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #4665
Veteran Member

It's literally a difference between the lenses. Some lenses make pictures that are crisper, or sharper, than other lenses. Some cameras are built in a way that lets them take sharper pictures than other cameras as well. The k5iis is an example of one.

So, the same lens on a k10d and a k5iis should make sharper images on the K5iis thanks to the way the camera is built. But, two different lenses both used on the K5iis will give different degrees of sharpness, especially if you are comparing a zoom lens and a prime lens, because prime lenses tend to be sharper than zooms.

High ISOs tend to introduce noise which can lower the sharpness of an image simply by making it grainier.

Most lenses have a few aperture's where they are the sharpest, typically around f/5.6 to f/8. Starting around f/16 and going higher, an optical characteristic called diffraction can start to make images softer. Most lenses that are f/1.8 or faster are sharp in the center but not the edges at those apertures.

So, you can see that there are a LOT of variables that determine sharpness.

Hope that helps.