Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2572 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #5476

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
She is a cutie! Nice catch! Birds are amazing to me, but I admit, I am getting tired of shooting them after 3 months of it!

Just one bird for today.....but he's a handsome one! This bird is two years old, in his prime condition with a perfect coat of silky feathers and unblemished. He will have plenty of mates this Spring calling for his services!

Attachment 198072

Regards!

Keep up the posting...let me just enjoy your views for a while, I need a break, and you probably need a "bird break" too!
Heck I love the bird shots. Had a total knee replacement a month ago, so my photo ops consist of what I see from my front porch. Looking forward to spring when my knee feels better and my recent retirement allows me more camera time. That cardinal is just beautiful. Funny how after watching my feeders a lot the last few weeks I begin to see and tell the difference from returning birds. Got a couple of House Sparrows that look to be a hundred years old!

12-11-2013, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #5477
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots Rupert and rwingsfan !

Click on the photos for details...

12-11-2013, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #5478
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FS....Some of your best ones yet......I couldn't pick one, but #2 is nice for its simplicity and great color. You sure have the processing down to a science! Keep them coming, they are never boring!

QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
Got a couple of House Sparrows that look to be a hundred years old!

Rwingsfan
.........Cardinals are not all that common in this area, but around the Woods of Otis they are the dominant breed. Been here multiplying for years, plenty of cover in the woods, and plenty of feed year around. They never leave at any season.

I do get to know specific birds, and some are old as you mentioned. This old girl hung around for ages, a pathetic sight. She had a skin disorder, but she kept on going...and going...for several years. Sad as it was to see her, it was heartwarming to often see other Cardinals pitch in and feed her mouth to mouth. They sensed that she was struggling. Birds maybe smarter than we think...and kinder than we realize.

If healthy, she would have looked like this...

Currently, I am waiting for the Goldfinches to show up.....they only come in the cold weather and should be arriving in force soon. All they will eat is niger seed (thistle) and I already have a feeder full out there waiting for them!

I love the little birdies...and all the other wildlife here. Fascinating to watch them. Squirrels, raccoons, possums, armadillos, they are all interesting creatures.

Regards!
12-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #5479

Rupert,
We have cardinals year round, but this year they seem to be oddly missing. We do however have the goldfinch all the time. They are not quite as pretty when out of breeding color, but nice none the less. The do love the nijer seed for sure even though this one has a sunflower. I get mainly house/tree sparrows, house finch, gold finch, woodies, nuthatch both white breasted and red breasted and chickadee. Every once in awhile a blue jay or something else shows, but not daily visitors. Looking for ward to April when the hummers return!

Have any tips on shooting through the glass? I fight reflection a lot, and can never quite nail focus, but I am not going to sit on the deck...it's 3 degrees out there!

Last edited by rwingsfan; 01-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.
12-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #5480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great shot of the bug on the leaf fs999!
12-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #5481
Veteran Member

Have any tips on shooting through the glass? I fight reflection a lot, and can never quite nail focus, but I am not going to sit on the deck...it's 3 degrees out there!
Not really, just keep it clean and avoid shooting at an angle to help with reflections. Yeah, it's too cold for me out there too, and it's 40F this morning!

The dominant birds here are Whitewing doves, Cardinals, Sparrows, Chickadees, Carolina Wrens, and Spanish doves. However, there is a good mix of visitors like this House Finch.

I have a friend only about 8 miles away that has a bounty of these Painted Buntings every year, and I'd like to see more, but they rarely come to my place. The Cardinals are very aggressive on most intruders, they even run off the Bluejays which are much larger birds, and normally dominant.

Regards!
12-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #5482
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Rupert and Eagle94VT ! It was a spider

A wonderful story for beautiful birds, thank you Rupert !

rwingsfan, you can try to throw some seeds on the floor, they are easier to shoot !

12-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #5483

FS999 its obvious your PP skills are extraordinary and your photo skills just as much. I truly envy your PP though, have any insights you might pass along? How much PP do you really do or is it the way you have your camera setup? I especially like the tree lined road. I am pretty new to all this but I'm having a ball learning and seeing even a little progress in my own skills.
12-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #5484
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you rwingsfan ! I am using Corel PaintShop Pro X6 and TopazLabs Collection, essentially DeNoise (even at 80 iso) then Adjust or Detail or Clarity or B&W effects and some times Star effects. I always underexpose my shots by 1 Ev to not have blown highlights.
The shot with the trees is a new feature in X6 : Retro style, with a lot of sliders to change the style of the photo.
12-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #5485
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have any tips on shooting through the glass? I fight reflection a lot
Polaroid filter due the reflected light is polarized.

Last edited by bvg; 12-14-2013 at 12:42 AM.
12-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #5486
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice shots Rupert and rwingsfan !

Click on the photos for details...
Wow, Frédéric ... two great Soligors, MERCI ! J

PS - I have built up a PayPal war chest in hopes that another Soligor comes around ... J
12-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #5487
Veteran Member

I'm slowing down...just shot one little birdie yesterday. Boredom is about to get to me. If I am not walking very soon, they will have to put me in the asylum.....I kind of feel like I am there already.

I just got lucky to get a decent shot of him at 1/125.....should have been twice that speed, these little birdies are not still for more than a second or two.

Regards!
12-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #5488
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Polaroid filter due reflected light is polarized.
A pol filter would darken too much...
When it is not too cold in summer , I hang a black curtain with a slit for the lens, in the open window...

Thank you Jean ! I will give you a sign if I see one passing nearby

Thank you Rupert ! You should make a book of your wonderful shots !
12-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #5489

I know some might tire of the birdies, but this little guy is a regular and just a kill to watch. The nuthatch is the only bird that goes head first down a tree, it's quite hilarious.

Last edited by rwingsfan; 01-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.
12-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #5490
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot rwingsfan !