Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

SR always active during Live View

Does anyone know what the shake reduction (SR) is doing during Live View and video recording?

Even when SR is disabled in the menus you can hear it working during Live View. Also, you can see in the AVI metadata that the SR is on for videos even when it is disabled in the menus. When SR is enabled in the menus the noise gets somewhat louder and the SR mode changes as indicated by the metadata.

I'm not concerned, but just curious about how the camera functions.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any insights into this function of the SR during Live View.

Along a similar line, I'm curious whether the HDR is implemented entirely by SR alignment when SR is active and Auto-align is selected. This would be really cool, and could potentially introduce less artifacts in the image than applying the necessary software transforms to do the image alignment, provided the SR alignment mechanism is accurate enough.

- Phil

11-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For video you have to turn it of in the section for video in the menu. If you do you will notice that it is not functioning and the camera is more silent.
11-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For video you have to turn it of in the section for video in the menu. If you do you will notice that it is not functioning and the camera is more silent.
Thanks. I'll try this for video. But this shouldn't affect the Live View behaviour.

- Phil
11-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fot Live view you have to turn SR off under the info button or also in the menu setting for SR. Then it also is quit because not working.

11-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Fot Live view you have to turn SR off under the info button or also in the menu setting for SR. Then it also is quit because not working.
I did this (disabled SR in the Rec. Mode 4 menu), and the camera is definitely more quiet in Live View when SR is disabled like this, but it still makes some noise that you can hear if the room is quiet. I am sure that this noise is from the SR. The noise goes away as soon as I turn off Live View mode.

- Phil
11-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The image sensor is loose inside the body unless the SR-motors are engaged, thus to stop the sensor from sliding around when using live view or taking a photo the SR-motors has to engage, even when "SR" is off.
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The image sensor is loose inside the body unless the SR-motors are engaged, thus to stop the sensor from sliding around when using live view or taking a photo the SR-motors has to engage, even when "SR" is off.
This sounds like a reasonable explanation, thanks. But I'm a bit surprised that there is any noise when the system is in "station holding" mode.

- Phil
11-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boardhead Quote
This sounds like a reasonable explanation, thanks. But I'm a bit surprised that there is any noise when the system is in "station holding" mode.

- Phil
The magnets are still operating, whether or not SR is activated, so there is bound to be some noise out of the system.

11-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The magnets are still operating, whether or not SR is activated, so there is bound to be some noise out of the system.
Magnets are silent. Any noise must come from moving components. So what you're telling me is that the system can not keep the sensor perfectly still, which is understandable.

- Phil
11-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Magnets are silent. Any noise must come from moving components. So what you're telling me is that the system can not keep the sensor perfectly still, which is understandable.

- Phil
The noise comes from the magnets. They are not neodymium (earth magnets), but induction ones, and certainly make a fair amount of noise (hum/hiss).
11-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

- Phil
No, have a look at the post immediately above this one.
Think about what you've posted for just a moment and consider that an exposure of any significant length of time, with the camera on a tripod and SR off would show severe imaging problems if the sensor was not held perfectly still.
Now, we know that exposures of several minutes or more are possible with the K5 with perfect sharpness, so obviously the mechanism is capable of holding the sensor perfectly still.
It also, apparently, makes some noise while operating, so whatever is in there doing the work is not perfectly silent about it.
11-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't think this is worth arguing, but the sensor does not have to remain absolutely motionless to take a good picture. The only criteria for a good picture is that the amplitude of the motion be smaller than the sensor pixel pitch.

Electromagnets may induce buzz/hum in other components only when an AC current is applied, and a changing current results in a changing force applied to the sensor, thus causing it to accelerate at a different rate.
11-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't think this is worth arguing, but the sensor does not have to remain absolutely motionless to take a good picture. The only criteria for a good picture is that the amplitude of the motion be smaller than the sensor pixel pitch.

Electromagnets may induce buzz/hum in other components only when an AC current is applied, and a changing current results in a changing force applied to the sensor, thus causing it to accelerate at a different rate.
For someone who doesn't think this is worth arguing, you are splitting hairs pretty frakkin fine to make an argument.
I'm just a simple photographer. For me, if the image off of a tripod mounted camera is sharp, the imaging system is being held motionless.
If the allowable tolerance is a billionth of a mm, or whatever it works out to be, I could care less as effectively, there is no sensor movement.
It also seems to me that if the camera makes the same noise WRT sensor positioning, whether SR is on of off, then the sensor positioning mechanism system is making noise. Whether this is cause by some sort of electromagnet or really small Japanese elves spinning control wheels to position the sensor, it really doesn't matter much.