Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bit the bullet and bought the K-5...

Finally made the decision to get the K-5.

After reading all the reviews and reading the manual in pdf format I pulled the trigger last night and got the K-5, after-market grip, 4 extra batteries, Sigma 18-200 and filters.
Then I decided that the Pentax sling bag I use will no longer be adequate for 2 bodies (I have a gripped K20D and a K-x) so I sprung for the Tamrac Ultra-Pro 13, so that both bodies with lenses and grips could be stored along with all the lenses that normally occupy a shelf when not in use.

My daughter, her husband and my grandson are coming home for Christmas so I'll be giving them the K-x, 18-55 kit lens, Tamron 70-300, Lentar m42 400mm f6.3 and more than likely the 800mm mirror lens I haven't used that much.

I decided to give the K-x to them instead of the K20D because it's more portable, better in low light (for shots of my grandson indoors), uses AA batteries and is really more convenient for them without giving up all the bells and whistles that a DSLR offers.

I hope that Karma looks past my CBA and appreciates my holiday giving spirit.

Actually, once I submitted my purchase request to the Boss (wife), she asked what I needed three cameras for. I can think of a million reasons to have three bodies but at the time none surfaced. I could only think of how much I wanted the K-5. I told her that I would give the K-x to the kids so they could send us more, better quality grand-kid pictures. This I believe was the catalyst for purchase approval. Karma, please disregard this paragraph.

Anyway it'll be here Saturday and I can't wait!

11-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done. Any justification that involves generosity (including lenses!) has some level of karmic approval.
11-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

slippery, slippery for sure. we all have a thing or two to learn..
11-25-2010, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
Awesome! Welcome to the club! Received mine yesterday (with grip and spare battery) and I'm slowly getting used to it... its a bit of a change from my K20.

My daughter, her husband and my grandson are coming home for Christmas so I'll be giving them the K-x, 18-55 kit lens, Tamron 70-300, Lentar m42 400mm f6.3 and more than likely the 800mm mirror lens I haven't used that much.
Thats very cool! Earlier this year I gave my little sister my K110d with my DA18-55 and DA50-200. The K100d will go to my parents as soon as I can find a good deal on a Tammy 18-250... an ideal setup for my father.

The gift of photography, it keeps on giving!

Pat

11-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
The gift of photography, it keeps on giving!
Yes, indeed. Two years ago I gave them my Minolta diMage z1. Late last year I gave my son my Sony DSC-R1 with a Zeiss lens. I want them to catch the bug!

They are both (son and daughter) in the Navy and have been to some cool places. I hope that they take pictures of where they go. The first thing that I did after I went to Navy boot camp was buy a Canon AE-1 Program and I took it with me for years until the Minolta Maxxum 7000 came out. I have almost never been without a camera. And those brief moments in my history that I captured with those cameras are priceless.

Thanks for the reply!
11-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
slippery, slippery for sure. we all have a thing or two to learn..
LOL!!! Yes, I am riding Karma's razor edge!
11-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #7

I pulled the trigger on my K-5 today, myself. My K100D will be used by my wife who is getting into photography too.
11-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading all the reviews and reading the manual in pdf format I pulled the trigger last night and got the K-5, after-market grip, 4 extra batteries, Sigma 18-200 and filters.
I am happy for your purchase and have no doubt it will be a thrill a minute. One important suggestion though (I usually keep my mouth shut but unable to this time)- please don't cripple the K-5 with a 18-200 lens, probably the worst overall lens I ever had to endure (loaner). Sounds like you have loads of experience and understand the lens is more important and will be with you many years longer than the body. Give the 18-200 to daughter/son-in-law and buy a better match for that new cam. I apologize in advance to any misguided believers in the 18-200 I have offended.

If its a vacation lens you must have then even the da18-250 knocks the crap out of the 18-200 but I just sold mine so can't give it to you.

Enjoy!!

11-25-2010, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sigma 18-200
Ummmm okaaaaayyy *steps slowly away*
11-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

OP, the consensus on most of the 18-200ish lenses is so-so at best - sounds like the new 18-135 might be a great option for a good walk around, WR lens to pair with that new K5!
11-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You will not regret that

An extra charger might be required It takes ages to charge the battery so if you come home from a shoot with all batteries empty, you will not be able to charge them all before the next day.
11-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I am happy for your purchase and have no doubt it will be a thrill a minute. One important suggestion though (I usually keep my mouth shut but unable to this time)- please don't cripple the K-5 with a 18-200 lens, probably the worst overall lens I ever had to endure (loaner). Sounds like you have loads of experience and understand the lens is more important and will be with you many years longer than the body. Give the 18-200 to daughter/son-in-law and buy a better match for that new cam. I apologize in advance to any misguided believers in the 18-200 I have offended.

If its a vacation lens you must have then even the da18-250 knocks the crap out of the 18-200 but I just sold mine so can't give it to you.

Enjoy!!
Here's the plan. I'm putting my Sigma 150-500 on the K-5 and my DA 16-45 on the K20D when I head out to the field for wildlife and landscape. If I have only one camera (probably the K-5) I'll decide, based upon what type of photography I'll be doing, on what lens to attach.

I like the focal range of the 18-200 for travelling light and just getting the quick snaps. I'm really still just enjoying the newness of it all and, I'm sure, I'll find the faults with the 18-200 in time. In the interim I'm actually quite surprised by the 18-200 Sigma. It's far better than any kit lens I've used so far. Maybe I just got a good copy....

Imtheguy, I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your advise and I take the fact that you DO normally keep your mouth shut as a sign that you are truly adamant concerning this lens. I'll keep you posted on my experiences with the 18-200 and post some stuff if I think that it's any good. On the other hand, you may see the thing up on the auction block in the next few months!

Thanks for all of your replies!!
11-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the plan. I'm putting my Sigma 150-500 on the K-5 and my DA 16-45 on the K20D when I head out to the field for wildlife and landscape. If I have only one camera (probably the K-5) I'll decide, based upon what type of photography I'll be doing, on what lens to attach.
Now we are thinking alike. I took my first outting last week with both the k20d (wide lens) and k-5 (long lens) strapped around me. Lotsa fun and by removing the grips the weight was very tolerable. I too am a believer in the da16-45 for outdoor work.