Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Just guessing (I don't have it, yet). Lateral chromatic aberration is set to ON or maybe that Lens Correction thing?
No no, nothing on that is giving the K-5 more work.

11-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I understand your calculation. Just wondering if this could be true? If the K-5 handles the Jpeg's like RAW then it is amazing it even get's to the total number of 238. So I don't think that can be the case.
you misunderstand my statement. falk already explained: there is some processing/computational step before getting to the sd that is slower (my "guess" was that it might be slower because of the added mp+bit depth, which is raw information coming in from the sensor's a/d('s), an increase which typically has non-linear effects on cpu time (i won't venture to say "think exponential", falk will probably assassinate me, but i guess "Worse than linear" should be safe enough ). the buffer is just memory after all, and it will be used to keep the raw while it is being processed into a jpeg, that's what i meant by that note. this means that, possibly, if the processing is not fast enough, the raw's cannot be flushed from the buffer fast enough, so you have to slow down the rate in order to be able to keep taking data from the sensor, otherwise you're in trouble. this is just speculation though, we don't really know. does it really make that much of a difference though?
11-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #33
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is one difference between the K-5 and the K-7 that might have an impact: The K-5 allows you save the last JPG taken into RAW. Perhaps that slows things down. The K-7 could be processing the data into JPG as they come streaming out from the sensor and discard the RAW data in the process rather than having to accumulate (and then delete) it.
11-27-2010, 03:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
There is one difference between the K-5 and the K-7 that might have an impact: The K-5 allows you save the last JPG taken into RAW.
AFAIK this feature exists at least since the K20D. The K-7 certainly allows saving the last JPG taken into raw.

11-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #35
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
AFAIK this feature exists at least since the K20D. The K-7 certainly allows saving the last JPG taken into raw.
Please explain how. I believe that you're wrong and that the ability to save an image as RAW "after the fact" is new with the K-r and K-5.
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I just realized that this has changed! I did a test about writespeed to the new SanDisk PRO 45 MB/s card a few weeks ago. So made some multiple shots in RAW and JPG. When I started this thread the K-5 could make 238 one star quality jpg's but not anymore.

With firmware 1.03:
Now it makes a max of 105 or 106 JPG's in one minute no matter what quality you are choosing. IT is with a fast card the same number, at one star and at four star quality. It makes a full buffer, some 25 shots, and then turns in an almost even pattern of around 1,5 fps.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 04-14-2011 at 11:48 AM.