Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gerard7452 Quote
Hi Ron,

problem definately is in the Firmware and must be a bug in the PTTL protocol. I have a TUMAX flash that does not work at all on K5(latest FW) either. It does flash the first time and than starts "strobing" until the batteries are flat :-) Only way it works if flashpower is set to manual (1/1) .. TUMAX works fine with K10, K20 and K7.
A faulty protocol over the socket (but also the internal flash) consumes time and brings your fps down to what you see i guess. Hoping for new firmare soon .. groeten.
They have more than likely had to make some changes internally because of the higher frame rate.
It needs to be emphasized that Pentax can in no way be held accountable for their hardware failing to work with third party equipment, whether or not that hardware worked with previous equipment.
I suspect, given that I also experienced a blip in flash triggering using the PC socket that what you are seeing has absolutely nothing to do with the PTTL circuitry, and is more likely a limitation of the flash trigger itself.
I wouldn't wait for a firmware update to solve this, I suspect just get used to not being able to take a million flash pictures in a row.

11-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I wouldn't wait for a firmware update to solve this, I suspect just get used to not being able to take a million flash pictures in a row.
Well who knows, if we get new Pentax flashes next uear, as rumored, maybe all things get resolved.
11-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Both my 360 and 540 only allow me to fire about 2 shots per second or less.
The 540 goes about 6 shots before sputtering out, the 360 about 2.
Both set to -3 stop on the flash and -2 stops on the camera.

So I set everything to manual and connected the flash via PC Sync cable, and lowest power (1.64).
The 540 kept up until the RAW buffer was filled (24 shots).

PTTL obviously slows things down with all the pre-flash and such, but the flash itself keeps up nicely on its own.
11-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I set the flash to alower blast 1/128th of the power, so the flash can ceep shooting for a several hundreds of shots. The X-sync just doesn't give a signal to fire to the flash.
Dunno if this is your issue, I don't recall seeing a shutter speed mentioned. (sorry if I missed it), but keep in mind that Pentax "kindly" disables the hotshoe and PC-Sync when shutter speed is above the max sync speed (1/180sec).

I have no idea why. If you're buying a near top of the line camera, you want the flexibility and control, even if the shutter crops out a bit of the flash. So very irritating that they crippled the darned thing and make us feel like idiots.

11-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Dunno if this is your issue, I don't recall seeing a shutter speed mentioned. (sorry if I missed it), but keep in mind that Pentax "kindly" disables the hotshoe and PC-Sync when shutter speed is above the max sync speed (1/180sec).

I have no idea why. If you're buying a near top of the line camera, you want the flexibility and control, even if the shutter crops out a bit of the flash. So very irritating that they crippled the darned thing and make us feel like idiots.
You are right. Set to X- so at 1/180th second.