Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5 live view blurred photos

I've a problem with live view in my K-5 - all photos except those taken with extremely short shutter speeds are blurred. The camera can even be on a tripod. Tried to switch off SR - no visible effect. The image on the LCD is perfect, but after taking the picture it is blurred, sometimes it looks as if two slightly moved pictures were combined. This is not an AF issue. I've tried it by setting MF before taking the picture. This only happens in LV mode, but when I use the shutter delay function (2s) this problem disappears.

When I press the shutter button I can hear the shutter two times. I think the first is when it is closing after LV, and the second when taking the picture.
With the delay function the sounds are separated by 2s.

I've also tested another K-5 - it has the same issue.

Is it normal or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by slawpaw; 11-27-2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: adding pictures
11-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Pictures or you don't have a problem.
11-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreed. Some pictures with EXIF intact would really help illustrate the problem and give the info needed to diagnose the problem.

- Jason
11-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Two camera same Issue||||

11-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you by any chance, have multiple exposure on? just curious..
11-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird, I have used the LV quite a few times already on my K-5 (AF is now very usable) and didn't encounter this.

A picture would sure help to understand what's going on.
11-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slawpaw Quote
This only happens in LV mode, but when I use the shutter delay function (2s) this problem disappears.
you sure you're not just moving the tripod when you press the shutter button

if it works fine when you're on 2 second delay, and it's blurry when you don't use delay- then surely that's user error, i.e. movement of the tripod as you push the shutter button
11-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I've a problem with live view in my K-5 - all photos except those taken with extremely short shutter speeds are blurred. The camera can even be on a tripod. Tried to switch off SR - no visible effect. The image on the LCD is perfect, but after taking the picture it is blurred, sometimes it looks as if two slightly moved pictures were combined. This is not an AF issue. I've tried it by setting MF before taking the picture. This only happens in LV mode, but when I use the shutter delay function (2s) this problem disappears.

When I press the shutter button I can hear the shutter two times. I think the first is when it is closing after LV, and the second when taking the picture.

I've also tested another K-5 - it has the same issue.

Is it normal or am I doing something wrong?
Please supply pictures, or it makes hard to help or be convinced you actually own the camera or have a problem. Try resetting the camera to the default settings. Where did you buy the camera?

11-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Rin
Forum Member

even with a bit longer shutter time i get sharp photos with liveview and the focusing is accurate too.
11-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The first sound is the 2nd curtain closing and then both curtains rewinding.

Between this and the true 1st curtain open event should be about 10ms or 20ms delay. Long enough to kill all vibration caused be the first event. This works pretty well with the vibration caused by mirror up when using the optical viewfinder.

Sometimes though, the delay is not enough, like if pressing the shutter in a motion or with excited tripod vibrations. So, more tests to isolate the cause would be welcome. And a sample image! Personally, I didn't notice the problem and most likely, I would have seen it.

If there should be a real problem (I don't think so though), then a firmware update increasing the corresponding delay would fix it.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-26-2010 at 07:43 PM.
11-27-2010, 04:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
Example pictures

I've noticed that this problem appears only when my METZ 48 AF-1 flashgun is attached, but switched off. And I think I just need to take one picture with the flashgun switched on, than I can switch it off, and it is ok too.

Maybe it has something to do with problems in communication between K-5 and METZ flashguns that somebody reported.

Ok. Here are the pictures. Camera was on a tripod. ISO400, f5.6 1/250s.

Without LV, mounted flashgun but switched off:

LV with mounted flashgun switched off:

LV without flashgun:
11-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Looks like a firmware bug.
Like the camera is confused enough to skip the delay after shutter rewind or after sensor position initialize.

Please consider to report it back to Pentax.
Even though they will say not to support 3rd party. They may still take notice.
11-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #13

I have the same flash but I did not experience any of the problems that had been reported at the forum. Perhaps, these promlems occur in individual cameras. You better report to Pentax.
11-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Has anyone checked yet if it may have anything to do with a serial run. If you compare all the serial numbers from all the K5's that have the problem it may just be a small run that has the problem.
I can not see Pentax ignoring a fault that would be this obvious.
Just a thought.
11-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #15

Original Poster
First K-5 I had, had s/n: 3828502. I sent it back because of dust on the cmos sensor. They couldn't remove it, so they sent me another body s/n: 3839454. This had dust too (easily detectable by build in dust warning), but I managed to remove it myself.

cem.kumuk try it this way: turn on the camera with mounted but switched off flashgun, go to LV and take a picture.