Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

No pentax dealers in my area!

First post here, Im incredibly intrigued by the new k-5 and would really like to check one out but alas no camera stores (western washington) carry it! Not even the k-7 as what im really interested in is the size. I have somewhat large hands and have been shooting a canon 5d for the last couple years and Im curious if the k-5 will be comfortable.

Anyone know any stores in the seattle /western washington areas where I can check one out?

thanks

11-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Robi's in Lakewood (south of Tacoma)

I assume they have K-5 now; it's the best Pentax shop I've been in in years.

M
11-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm in the same boat, but located in Jacksonville and Gainesville, FL. Anyone know of good shops that carry Pentax there?
11-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank miguel, i called and they dont have one in stock but they do have a k-7, about an hour away from me but perhaps i can make it down there tomorrow.

still open to other suggestions!

11-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
open a camera store?
11-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You can rent one and try it out. I suspect you will prefer it with the BG4 Battery Grip attached.

CameraLensRentals.com - Pentax Bodies & Flashes Lens Rentals
11-26-2010, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emberlain Quote
Anyone know any stores in the seattle /western washington areas where I can check one out?
The Fry's in Renton always has the K-7 (and K-x) on display. Haven't been there recently to see if they have the K-5 yet.

11-26-2010, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are welcome.
I assume you called Kenmore too?

M
11-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
The Fry's in Renton always has the K-7 (and K-x) on display. Haven't been there recently to see if they have the K-5 yet.
sweet news as thats about 15 mins, thanks!
11-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
You are welcome.
I assume you called Kenmore too?

M
yea I did and was told with a somewhat snooty tone that not many stores (including theirs) carried much pentax gear lol thanks!
11-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #11

I couldn't find a K5 in Austin TX either.

Besides Fry's, check your local Best Buy if you have one.

Best Buy dosen't seem to offer the K5 online yet but does carry the K7 (which I understand to have the same body as the K5), as well as the Kr and Kx. My local one even sometimes has in-store stock; and if not you may be able to order one to the store (which might facilitate return if you can't stand the ergonomics or such).

Back when I purchased my K100d, Austin had at least 4 camera shops that carried Pentax. Now, even with the years of interesting Pentax offerings, I don't think Austin has a single one.

Since the K5 uses the same body as the K7, I chose a 50 minute drive to Fry's to handle an in-stock K-7. I would have been happy to buy the K5 locally but they didn't have any (yet?)... not even in the computer.... and had a salesperson who wanted to argue that the K7 was Pentax's latest and the K5, if it existed, was an earlier model. Oh bother.

But it was still better than my experiences at Precision Camera of Austin. Even back when they carried Pentax (*sob*) I had salespeople there repeatedly try to convert me from Pentax.

Oh well. Bah.
11-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well i made it down to frys and they did indeed have a k-7 on display, however with all the bumping shoulders the security ring around the lens, the huge platform and post it was connected to and the 2 foot cable I dont really think I got a feel on whether or not it would be comfortable in my hand lol...the search continues!

if any of you in the seattle area wouldnt mind meeting so I can hold yours I wouldnt be opposed...just saying
11-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Drive up to Canada.

We have plenty of stores that carry Pentax.

And you can grab a plate of poutine while you're here.