Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 with Tamron 1.4x TC and AF, 50-135mm, liveview quick test

I haven't had a chance to use this combination yet, but just sat down and did a quick non-scientific test (I know, your favorite!). Conditions: basement room, no windows, 4 can lights testing the AF against a shipping label and other random junk on the floor.

The 1.4x and 50-135mm would not focus with normal phase detect in this situation.

Testing liveview focus, I did each of the following two, three or more times (about 10 focus tests total), manually setting the lens to either infinity or closest focus, and AF tested both at the short and long end of the zoom range. The label (center point) was about 10 feet away based on the final focus distance. Focus was only missed once, and a quick push of the AF button found focus without hunting in that case as well.

I am pretty impressed - the 1.4x TC with the 50-135 has always been known to work, but tends to hunt at the long end, often giving up even in the best light. It is looking more and more like the usable AF in liveview is also translating to better overall TC functioning in situations.

Has anyone else put their K5 and teleconverters to the test?

11-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tried several lenses (Zeiss 80/1,8, A50/1,7 and 180mm sigma f3,5) on top of my AF1,7 and everyting is fine. I did only test the phase detect, I'm not likely to use the LV a lot with long lenses.
11-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I haven't had a chance to use this combination yet, but just sat down and did a quick non-scientific test (I know, your favorite!). Conditions: basement room, no windows, 4 can lights testing the AF against a shipping label and other random junk on the floor.

The 1.4x and 50-135mm would not focus with normal phase detect in this situation.

Testing liveview focus, I did each of the following two, three or more times (about 10 focus tests total), manually setting the lens to either infinity or closest focus, and AF tested both at the short and long end of the zoom range. The label (center point) was about 10 feet away based on the final focus distance. Focus was only missed once, and a quick push of the AF button found focus without hunting in that case as well.

I am pretty impressed - the 1.4x TC with the 50-135 has always been known to work, but tends to hunt at the long end, often giving up even in the best light. It is looking more and more like the usable AF in liveview is also translating to better overall TC functioning in situations.

Has anyone else put their K5 and teleconverters to the test?
Now that is interesting news. The Tamron 1.4 with DA*50-135, on my K20D, function so poorly (as far as AF), that I don't even bother anymore. I plan to upgrade to the K5 at some point, so that is encouraging.
11-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That's great info.
I was really hoping the K-5 LV would help with tele/TC focusing and by the sounds of it, it most likely will come in handy. So thanks for sharing that!

11-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I tried several lenses (Zeiss 80/1,8, A50/1,7 and 180mm sigma f3,5) on top of my AF1,7 and everyting is fine. I did only test the phase detect, I'm not likely to use the LV a lot with long lenses.
I have never had the chance to test the pentax 1.7x tc. Perhaps to add to my brief observations you could try some quick AF tests using a zoom that has a more normal aperture range in liveview for others benefit. From the few posts I read about the 1.7, it does not do well with slower zooms and AF - the contrast detect af in liveview seems to benefit the af speed overall. Being able to use af when previously it would not work at all is pretty good news!