Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #31
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanx for the kind words panoguy as well as everyone. I'm always interested in being better or producing better results. Setting aside the oversharpening present in this finished product, what areas stand out as taking away from adding to realism that I can perhaps work on?

@panoguy specifically, It was the competition having the prizes that you subsidized that sparked my interest in taking some panos... so I owe you thanx.

12-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Great "dusky" lighting, m8o! It's funny that we think of this as "extreme" processing, but your results look realistic in almost all areas... nicely done. ;-)
Yes, that's an amazing pano, m8o! I saw it before and didn't comment because I was so in awe I didn't know what to say!

A few questions, if I may:

Was this shot through a window or outside?
What software did you use to do the stitching?
And finally, what lens?

By the way, the only flaw" (for lack of a better term) I can see is some motion blur from the flag near the bottom. But it's not offensive and doesn't take away from the shot (I didn't notice it the first time).

Actually I'm feeling really inspired now after seeing this.
12-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #33
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Oops, looks like the DB took a dump and we lost messages again. There were a few post such as panoguy's observation of lost saturation/brilliance in the lights/brights (which I recognized during the processing that I attribute to the initial JPG conversion, plus re-sizing), one I recall regarding the time it took to take these, an observation how the camera's great for in-door architectural photo shooting, and some other posts, and they are gone now.

I'm greatly appreciative for the extra kind words photogerald. Let me address your questions.

This was shot outside, at the North Eastern most edge of the roof of my NYC home's apartment building to get around that big stupid red building blocking my view of the Empire State Building the best I could w/o falling over the railing off the edge of the building; the roof being the equivalent of the 17th floor.

I presently use Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor [ICE] to stitch my panos which is a pretty powerful free application. As was made evident to me by members in another thread, it's probably time for me to try some more powerful pay apps. I dunno, I'm still pretty happy with MS's ICE and its capabilities.

I used my brandy-new Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Macro HSM II for these shots. I knew I had about one to two minutes to take these shots, I didn't want to use the lens at 70mm, so I just arbitrarily zoomed a little. It fell on 93mm and that's what I used for all of them. ISO was 80 of course (subject of this thread ). The top 10 images used 1.6sec exposure, and the time it took for me to re-pitch the angle and do the bottom set of 10, they needed a 2.5 second exposure. Focal length was f/8.

Last edited by m8o; 12-02-2010 at 08:46 PM.