Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I'm going back to B&H tomorrow. I thought @ 1st this was on the Tamron 28-75/2.8 lens. But then I started shooting this same scene & sky in the same place w/a bit more zoom using the Sigma 70-200/2.8. So sensor seems most likely. ...ya, sux on a brand new camera doesn't it. There's that, and the internal level is off by 3 degrees....

I read a scary thread about someone who had a K-5 that had a sensor which had dust or scratches under the protective film/filter over the sensor, making it impossible to clean. ...I'll know the answer about this splotch tomorrow and whether I'll be returning my body for a replacement or not.
There is a very easy test you can do to check for dust. Stop down your lens, and use a longer exposure (0.5s) and just point to a light wall inside your house. Wave your camera while taking the picture. The dust will remain at the same spot, while everything else will be blurred.

11-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is an electronic viewfinder, but mine is off by almost exactly 3 degrees! And what I read was Pentax USA isn't able to align it yet. I tried my best to use the viewfinder to alight the tripod in the near dark but failed. BTW, don't be fooled by that blazingly lit building in the 2nd photo. The structure isn't perpendicular to the earth.

Yeah, I've heard the electronic level is not trustworthy. It need to be user-adjustable.

But all the verticals in your shot are leaning to the right. I automatically reach for the leveling tool in Elements....that's why I asked about Lightroom.

I'd be amazed if you could return a camera because of a speck of dust. And you better check the level on the new one...
11-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yeah, I've heard the electronic level is not trustworthy. It need to be user-adjustable.
I'd be amazed if you could return a camera because of a speck of dust. And you better check the level on the new one...
But from what I heard, even Pentax USA Service doesn't has the means of correcting the electronic level @ this time.

And I hope all understand what I'm talking about / worried about is the possibility the splotch is on the sensor surface, below the IR filter, and un-cleanable ... and only because someone shared that that had occurred with someone he knew. That would not be something I ever imagined could be the case had it not been for that thread. Will know more tomorrow.
11-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #19

Wow, amazing range!

These results are AMAZING!

I guess this will be great for night scenes and skylines like the ones you shot. Awesome!

11-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Really impressive, how much you've been able to lift the dark areas
11-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #21

Those are some *really* impressive results, and only acts to confirm my need for a K-5, seeing that trying to brighten the darks is the most common thing I have to do in Lightroom.
11-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Is there quality control issues going on? Ay numbers on messed up cameras?

11-28-2010, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #23
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There may be something like that brewing.

B&H is fantastic. I had my receipt but didn't have any of the packaging. The guy helping me in the returns just pulled a brand new K-5 from stock, pulled out the bare body and handed it to me w/the serial number card. I gave him mine with the suspect schemear and errant electronic level and that was that.

I haven't taken the time to do any test w/this body to check for sensor anomalies or electronic level. ...maybe later today (this being almost 2am).

Here's a 20 portrait image pano I made from photos I took at dusk. All photos have the same post processing levels. The lower half left most two shots, of the wall physically nearest to me on the left, were basically black in the original JPG. Be sure to maximize your window before clicking the image. However it may be better to click the image in my gallery (not album). In that case you see a much larger image that you can scroll.
edit: Click here for the image in my gallery.
... and realize even at that, what you are seeing there in my gallery is re-sized to 10% the original!

Last edited by m8o; 03-21-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: fixed the imgwide tag
11-29-2010, 02:20 AM   #24

Thanks, this is what I've been waiting for!
11-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
There is a very easy test you can do to check for dust. Stop down your lens, and use a longer exposure (0.5s) and just point to a light wall inside your house. Wave your camera while taking the picture. The dust will remain at the same spot, while everything else will be blurred.
You might also use "Dust Alert" to verify the location of the speck on the sensor. Although Dust Alert is not infallible, something big enough to produce the sort of blotch you are seeing should be visible to it. I believe someone on this forum advised that the "Dust Removal" feature on K7 and K5 cameras works best when the camera is held level as if for shooting in Landscape format. Although I have not yet had any dust problems on my K5, stubborn dust on everything I have had from a K7 all the way back to an *istD yielded to a few squirts from a Rocket Blower. Dust Alert was useful in showing me where to angle the nozzle on the occasions I needed to use the Rocket Blower.
11-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Here's a 20 portrait image pano I made from photos I took at dusk. All photos have the same post processing levels.
In the words of Keanu, "Whoa."

That's amazing, and with no image merging in "true" HDR? The halos are a bit obvious in some places, but I'm sure it could be dealt with (not saying you have to or anything.)

It's like you managed to fill-light the whole city. More realistic, closer to what the eye sees, but with a bit of an otherworldly glow which I quite like.
11-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
....and remember when nea-sayers were saying the K-5 was soft...

lithos, correct. 20 single photographs; 10 across angled up, 10 across angled down. I'm on my Dell 6500 which has the unique ability to amplify halo'ing, which even my 8740w with a DreamColor2 display [10-bit per channel, IPC screen, widest native gamut in any portable ever with 6 standard color gamuts built-in], and I'm upset at myself. I'm going to have to redo it all. I originally had sharpening lower when I made the 1st pano. I should have left it that way.
11-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Incredible pano, m8o.
11-30-2010, 04:01 AM   #29

what deadwolfbones said - amazing image.
11-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Here's a 20 portrait image pano I made from photos I took at dusk.
Great "dusky" lighting, m8o! It's funny that we think of this as "extreme" processing, but your results look realistic in almost all areas... nicely done. ;-)