Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 front wheel

Have noticed that the front wheel on the K-5 doesn't seem to be quite as decisive as the rear. For instance I have the camera set up on Av mode with the front as aperture and the rear as ISO .. the ISO will change with every click of the wheel. up or down whereas the front can sometimes take 3 or 4 clicks.

Noticed the same on my K-7 when I had it so thought it may be the third party grip .. took that off but still as bad.

Just wondering if anybody has the same problem?

K10D just gets on with it .. solid as a rock.

11-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My K-7 was like that too.
11-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just curious, does the speed that you turn it have any effect? i.e. does turning it fast make it more likely to not register than when you run it slow?
11-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just curious, does the speed that you turn it have any effect? i.e. does turning it fast make it more likely to not register than when you run it slow?
For me all but the slowest turning would skip occasionally. The rear dial could be turned at any speed and it would register each click.

11-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The faster you turn it the worse it is.
Even at very slow speed it can miss one or two whereas the rear wheel delivers at any speed.
11-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Seems like a pretty bad shortcoming for a $1,500 camera. Why couldn't they put the same mechanism in the front as they had in the back?
11-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I returned my first K5 body with a delayed reaction on the rear e-wheel. The second body seems better. I thought it was a software issue at first, but it appears not to be the case.

BTW - is there any particular function for the front wheel where this happens more often?

11-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just keep turning the dial back and forth for a few minutes (like the way you clean those old mechanical film cameras' dials), the problem would go away. It's a new camera, probably need some burn-in time
11-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
Seems like a pretty bad shortcoming for a $1,500 camera. Why couldn't they put the same mechanism in the front as they had in the back?
Perhaps they don't have the same amount of room at the front as they have at the back. I doubt very much if these things are traditional rheostats, I suspect they are an optical sensor that needs a little bit of time to register and spinning the wheel really fast causes it to miss.
In other words, user error.

Consider that if every body was QC'd up to to ensuring that there were absolutely no bad cameras leaving the factory, it wouldn't be a $1500.00 camera any more, it would be closer to a $2000.00 camera.

Would you be willing to pay that much of a premium to ensure product perfection without crabbing about the price?
11-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Have noticed that the front wheel on the K-5 doesn't seem to be quite as decisive as the rear. For instance I have the camera set up on Av mode with the front as aperture and the rear as ISO .. the ISO will change with every click of the wheel. up or down whereas the front can sometimes take 3 or 4 clicks.

Noticed the same on my K-7 when I had it so thought it may be the third party grip .. took that off but still as bad.

Just wondering if anybody has the same problem?

K10D just gets on with it .. solid as a rock.
I have the same "problem".

- Bert
11-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
My K-7 was like that too.
Mine has never done anything of the sort. I never experienced any "missing" clicks.
11-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
Rin
Forum Member

i didn't notice anything of this problem, just tested it but there seems no difference, both register every click i make.
11-29-2010, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Perhaps they don't have the same amount of room at the front as they have at the back. I doubt very much if these things are traditional rheostats, I suspect they are an optical sensor that needs a little bit of time to register and spinning the wheel really fast causes it to miss.
In other words, user error.

Consider that if every body was QC'd up to to ensuring that there were absolutely no bad cameras leaving the factory, it wouldn't be a $1500.00 camera any more, it would be closer to a $2000.00 camera.

Would you be willing to pay that much of a premium to ensure product perfection without crabbing about the price?
No I wouldn't, but at the same time for $1,500 it should work properly or it should be fixed if they are asked.

It isn't necessarily a QC issue, more likely an engineering thing though since it probably is a different kind of sensor that they just couldn't fit in to the front, like you said.

Calling it user error is just incorrect though. Thats like buying a car and when you turn the steering wheel quickly, it only changes the car's direction some of the time and calling it user error. It is an engineering shortcoming on the part of Pentax, who have otherwise managed to make a seemingly outstanding camera.
11-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #14

I just check mine and it is fine no skipping at all front or rear.
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
No I wouldn't, but at the same time for $1,500 it should work properly or it should be fixed if they are asked.
Do you have evidence that Pentax has refused to do warranty repairs?

QuoteQuote:

It isn't necessarily a QC issue, more likely an engineering thing though since it probably is a different kind of sensor that they just couldn't fit in to the front, like you said.

Calling it user error is just incorrect though. Thats like buying a car and when you turn the steering wheel quickly, it only changes the car's direction some of the time and calling it user error. It is an engineering shortcoming on the part of Pentax, who have otherwise managed to make a seemingly outstanding camera.
If we want to use your strawman analogy, perhaps add in that the car is traveling at 90 MPH when the wheel is turned quickly.
What you want to call an engineering thing may well be using the equipment beyond it's design parameter and then crying foul because it fails to operate.
IE: User Error.