Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Normal lost shot but saved with K5 thread

Thought might be fun (if already done I will delete) I read in a post someone showing a shot they had that would normally be toast on any other camera but was able to be somewhat saved because of K5 dynamic range.

So thought would be fun to see some before and afters

I will start with this one. Not a great example but after going from inside to outside I forgot to check settings and shot this.

I figured you would never see anything but a few tweaks and there is something there.

I would not call it a keeper but still amazed I could see anything.

Not the best shot to start with but hope you get the jist.

11-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, JeffJS had a thread about this a while ago. His was pushing an underexposed shot rather than pulling an oveblown one like yours. He found he could recover a shot that was 4 stops under quite well. I have found the same. But when I have tried to pull down an overexposed shot, it doesn't seem to be as successful. However, this could be due to a deficiency in how highlights are stitched together in post processing programs. I'm sure this will be discussed further in future threads.

And before the naysayers get going, yes, it is always better to nail the exposure the first time. But it is nice to know you can rescue a shot should you have to.
11-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
its useful for shots where its not possible to use a graduated filter, or HDR... such as sunset beaches... you can expose for the sky and pull up the water from black.
11-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Yes, JeffJS had a thread about this a while ago. His was pushing an underexposed shot rather than pulling an oveblown one like yours. He found he could recover a shot that was 4 stops under quite well. I have found the same. But when I have tried to pull down an overexposed shot, it doesn't seem to be as successful. However, this could be due to a deficiency in how highlights are stitched together in post processing programs. I'm sure this will be discussed further in future threads.

And before the naysayers get going, yes, it is always better to nail the exposure the first time. But it is nice to know you can rescue a shot should you have to.
You can only recover such lost detail from the RAW files. Once it has been through PP programs, or from out of camera JPEG, those blown out details will not be recoverable.