Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 04:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shuttercount and picture number

Friday I returned my Kr and got myself a K5. After taking a couple pictures I noticed that my picture number was in the 2000 ??? (new camera ?) later I downloaded "Photome" and looked in the Exif info, in the Exif info the shuttercount was 60. Does anyone know what the relation is between the picturenumbers and shuttercount ?

Thanks

11-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dijkx Quote
Friday I returned my Kr and got myself a K5. After taking a couple pictures I noticed that my picture number was in the 2000 ??? (new camera ?) later I downloaded "Photome" and looked in the Exif info, in the Exif info the shuttercount was 60. Does anyone know what the relation is between the picturenumbers and shuttercount ?

Thanks
Picture numbers has nothing to do with shutter count. Don't take picture number serious. The important one is the shutter count
11-28-2010, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dijkx Quote

Thanks
I'm betting you used the card from your K-r in your K-5 without clearing it first. The camera will use the last filename number and go from there. Rename one (the last one taken) to whatever your actual shutter count is. Page 312 in the manual shows you the memory menu (the items that the camera remembers), clear the one that says File No. Put the card in the camera and turn it on. Then re-check the file no. option in the menu. That should get your picture number back to the actual count.

11-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the steps. Same thing happened to me.
Oddly, if you again put in a card with a higher photo number, the camera picks up form there regardless of the memory setting. An existing photo with a lower number is ignored and the higher number stored in memory is used.

Going through all my cards now and wiping data... gonna have to be really careful to separate cards used amongst several cameras.

11-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Thanks for the steps. Same thing happened to me.
Oddly, if you again put in a card with a higher photo number, the camera picks up form there regardless of the memory setting. An existing photo with a lower number is ignored and the higher number stored in memory is used.

Going through all my cards now and wiping data... gonna have to be really careful to separate cards used amongst several cameras.
It'll start at whatever the highest number is unless there is none (and the memory option is cleared) in which case, it will go back to 0001.

12-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Closed Account

How about checking the folder name setting in: Menu, settings, page2, create new folder...etc?
12-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Checking it for what? :-)

That will create a new folder. You can choose name nnnPENTX or nnn-MMDD for the folder(s). But doesn't do much with regards to matching up file names with shutter count.

12-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm betting you used the card from your K-r in your K-5 without clearing it first. The camera will use the last filename number and go from there. Rename one (the last one taken) to whatever your actual shutter count is. Page 312 in the manual shows you the memory menu (the items that the camera remembers), clear the one that says File No. Put the card in the camera and turn it on. Then re-check the file no. option in the menu. That should get your picture number back to the actual count.

Thanks for your reply, you are probably right I used the memory card from my Kr.
I'm going to test it out.
12-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A question t K-5 owners:

What was your shutter activation count after aquiring your K-5?

Mine was 0, i.e., my first image's EXIF shows shutter activation count1. This means Pentax now clears the shutter activation count before the camera is boxed. Is this normal?
12-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
A question t K-5 owners:

What was your shutter activation count after aquiring your K-5?

Mine was 0, i.e., my first image's EXIF shows shutter activation count1. This means Pentax now clears the shutter activation count before the camera is boxed. Is this normal?
There was a thread about this a couple weeks ago. Yes, Mine was 0 too as were most (if not all) others.

12-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There was a thread about this a couple weeks ago. Yes, Mine was 0 too as were most (if not all) others.

Thanks, I missed it. Mine was at zero and I only wanted to double check Pentax Paris shipped me an unopened box.
12-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
Forum Member

My K-5 had a ShutterCount of 0 too when it was new.

Just FYI:

The shutter count includes shutter releases which do no result in images (like manual white balance frame or digital preview), but does NOT include shutter actuations for live view or movie recording. In-camera editing features which produce images without a shutter actuation do not increment the shutter count for obvious reasons.

For these reasons, the shutter count and picture number are not expected to remain in sync, even if both start at zero for a new camera. (Aside from the previously mentioned phenomenon of being able to change picture number arbitrarily by inserting a memory card containing existing pictures.)

- Phil
12-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The pic # of my K-m jumped once when it was a few days old. Couldn't figure out the reason but never happened again.
12-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

Rep from me for that shutter-count reset instructions that I needed JeffJS.

I was a bit worried that the K-5 replacement body B&H gave me was a return, but I was more sure I shouldn't worry and it was something like inheriting the count from an SD card .. and w/o having to crack the manual I see now that it is!
12-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I wondered who it was. Glad to help..