Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
The K5 is everything the K7 was plus perfected menus, deadeye AF, and usable shots up to 12800 ISO.

11-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #32

I'm very happy.

With the high-ISO performance and the ability to increase brightness in post-processing without generating huge amounts of noise, I can take pictures I couldn't even dream of with my old K10D. Now my night shots don't all have to be long-exposure.

I'm also pleased with the fast focus. I can't wait to try AF.C for some sports photography.

On the other hand, there are limits to image stabilization :-)

(In case there were any doubts, a moving car doesn't make the best tripod.)

Last edited by bats; 11-29-2010 at 02:04 PM.
11-29-2010, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #33

This is my 4th DSLR but the first one I've actually been happy with. That includes a Nikon, a Canon and an Olympus.

Pretty much everything I do is in low light so the ability to focus quickly in almost total darkness is the main appeal. Add that to the high ISO performance and it's the most usable camera I've ever owned.

I hate using flash and with this I hardly need to anymore. Having said that I've tested it with an AF 280T and the results were excellent. I haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned on here.

I'm just glad Pentax finally came out with a best-in-class DSLR as it's allowed me to use all my old film lenses without feeling like I have to compromise in other areas.
11-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Yes. Sharp. Low noise. Pentax colors. DR=great sensor in the best (dslr) body I ever touched.

Andras

12-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you serious?

I thought you sell these things and should be able to get a good one eventually.
yes...i sell pentax,and take the bad bodys for me....
but i try a new one next days

best regards,andy
12-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #36
Forum Member

I am happy with my K-5. I upgraded from a K10D.

My biggest compliment is that things just work so I don`t have to worry about little things and I can concentrate on just taking photos.

AF is fast and accurate, so I don`t worry about missed shots. High ISO, so when I attach my FA35 f/2 lens, I don't worry too much about noise and ISO.

Dynamic range is huge, so again I don't worry too much about blowing out highlights or lost shadows.

It's just easier to take pictures with the K-5 and less remembering about the limitations of my camera.
12-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #37

upgraded from K-7. no regrets. worth every penny.

12-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Satisfied? I just got mine yesterday and I'm totally blown away! It's going to be a complete game-changer for me.

I've been struggling with noise when shooting birds on shaded streams and basketball games in dim gyms and my pp skills are limited to put it generously. Using the K20D and K-7, my birds have speckles no ornithologist would recognize and my power forwards look like something out of a wax museum.

Take a look at this: Just out of the box, I wanted to try out this celebrated high ISO performance so I just shot a few casually bad shots.

here's one of the originals (1/200s, f7.1, ISO3200):

and here's what I got simply by lightening shadows (no NR, no sharpening):

With just a little bit of care, I think I'll be able to produce some plausibly decent photos with this camera ;~)
12-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

dadipentak ... Wow, very nice! This cameras low light abilities has me seriously impressed.

Pat
12-03-2010, 04:07 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I was with a pro with Canon and use is flash manual all the time, he dont trust the TLL of Canon??
Most of Photogs i know in other brand never uses PTTL, TTL, LLL etc.. just to avoid unexpected exposure. You can just imagine if any brand can do external-flash mounted and do an accetable exposure in any kind of bouncing elements/angles, then this will save an extra manual pdf or papers dealing with learning how to use External Flash.
...buaobao
12-03-2010, 04:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

To the OP: You have to admit, asking a question like "Are you really satisfied with your new K-5?" at this point is somewhat like asking a newly married groom on his honeymoon if he is happy with his new wife.

Curious about how everyone will be chirping in 3-6 months down the line. Hopefully happy!

Jason
12-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
To the OP: You have to admit, asking a question like "Are you really satisfied with your new K-5?" at this point is somewhat like asking a newly married groom on his honeymoon if he is happy with his new wife.
Not at all. I've only been married once, but I've purchased many new cameras.

The K-5 is by far the best performing camera I have ever owned, and has exceeded my expectations more than any other camera I have purchased to date.

- Phil
12-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #43
Banned

Well the thing that needs to be improved in future camera's is the CPU speed. The current used PRIME II is slow when it really has to do some work like emptying a full buffer of RAW -> that takes some 25 seconds!

Otherwise it's a great camera.
12-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #44

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my new K5 on yesterday so had the day off work to try it out today.
I'm well impressed, the high ISO is very impressive, this is going to make my wildlife and sports photography that much easier.
I've posted some of todays photos at My FlickR page
12-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Curious about how everyone will be chirping in 3-6 months down the line. Hopefully happy!

Jason

I dont agree there mate.. I think that the majority of K-5 owners here on this forum are stepping up from another camera, for me the response to this camera from users and the impression I have of the K-5 says it is the best DSLR that Pentax have produced.