Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #1

Are you really satisfied with your new K-5?

I have a 20D and a lot of Pentax lenses, but for the last one and a half year I have been using two Leicas, Digilux 2 and D-lux 4. Bot deliver good IQ, and are smaller and more quiet. Now with the new Pentax K-5 out I have been considering to buy one and return to Pentax. Not the least its low-light quality is attractive.
It seems however that some k-5's have QC problems (nothing special for Pentax, happens to Lia too) and - more annoying - serious flash output issues (from what you can read on this and other fora). That is rather unacceptable for a camera that expensive. But who knows if it affects all K-5s. So my question to K-5 owners: are you really satisfied with the the out-of-the-box performance of the camera?

11-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, strangely, most of the dissatisfied people here don't have a k-5. So probably you should reframe yoru question - "Are you really satisfied with someone else's k-5?"
11-28-2010, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Rin
Forum Member

i'm happy with it, it fits my needs and i didnt came across any problem. i only use it for portraits and urban shooting without flash though.

but the camera responds so fast, no delays or hickups, just does what i want it to do. The image quality is excellent too.

the only thing i dont like about it that i know want to buy 2 more lenses
11-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Do you really know why you bought Pentax K-5 ?, Typical upgrader are main reason why they have a new Pentax K-5 while P&S shooter that got a new K-5 some just wondering why is this things don't do this & that. If you really believes K-5 can show you what you expect it to do, then yes, I'm really satisfied having K-5. Always happy upgrading new technology built into new dslr, this is never ending.
...buaobao

11-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Well, strangely, most of the dissatisfied people here don't have a k-5. So probably you should reframe yoru question - "Are you really satisfied with someone else's k-5?"
I see what you did there... clever.

haha

i agree, the members here who actually own the K-5 loved it! Few have some technical issues, but otherwise, it's all thumbs up from what I see.
11-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I find it funny how this same question you posed at dpreview becomes the hot topic of the day while over here it's just kind of meh. Nothing wrong with my k5, and like most people say, a few vocal people with problems does not necessitate a vast QC issue.
11-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Soligor Quote
I have a 20D and a lot of Pentax lenses, but for the last one and a half year I have been using two Leicas, Digilux 2 and D-lux 4. Bot deliver good IQ, and are smaller and more quiet. Now with the new Pentax K-5 out I have been considering to buy one and return to Pentax. Not the least its low-light quality is attractive.
It seems however that some k-5's have QC problems (nothing special for Pentax, happens to Lia too) and - more annoying - serious flash output issues (from what you can read on this and other fora). That is rather unacceptable for a camera that expensive. But who knows if it affects all K-5s. So my question to K-5 owners: are you really satisfied with the the out-of-the-box performance of the camera?
I got a Lumix LX3 for my wife (same as D-Lux-4). It is a fine little camera. However, if it is beating out your K20d, what lenses are you using? The D-Lux-4 as a larger sensor than most compacts (1/1.63") but it is still smaller than the 4/3 sensor. No way does the LX3 beat my K20d on IQ although in many situations, it is impressive.

11-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I got a Lumix LX3 for my wife (same as D-Lux-4). It is a fine little camera. However, if it is beating out your K20d, what lenses are you using? The D-Lux-4 as a larger sensor than most compacts (1/1.63") but it is still smaller than the 4/3 sensor. No way does the LX3 beat my K20d on IQ although in many situations, it is impressive.
I believe its the canon 20d he's talking about, because he says "I have been considering to buy one and return to Pentax."

??
11-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I believe its the canon 20d he's talking about, because he says "I have been considering to buy one and return to Pentax."

??
He threw me if that is the case with the "a lot of Pentax lenses" part.
11-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmm...good picture quality yes.....
but my first 5 didnīt like my lenses,all out of focus.
my second 5 has a defect release button/trigger and poorly adjusted af lights in the finder.
now,i stay better with my k-7 and wayt for the k-3

best regards,andy
11-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
He threw me if that is the case with the "a lot of Pentax lenses" part.
I know someone with a canon/pentax adapter. Takumar's work fine too, right?
11-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I know someone with a canon/pentax adapter. Takumar's work fine too, right?
The Taks work great with an m42 adapter. I have one I used with my EOS 10s and A2 bodies. With ff canon bodies and certain K-mount lenses, the mirror may whack the back element.
11-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #13

I love everything about the K5 and I have had no problems with the flash, on the camera or my 3rd party flash. As far as I can tell and I am no pixel peeper the camera does as the say it will. You will be happy too and use your old glass, just wipe off the dust :-).
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soligor Quote
so my question to k-5 owners: Are you really satisfied with the the out-of-the-box performance of the camera?
yes!
11-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, I am more than satisfied with my K-5. It is simply awesome to use, and worth every penny I spent, performance and feature-wise (coming from the K-x).

There were a few minor issues for me (1 hot pixel, minor backfocus on some lenses), to be expected from virtually any camera, but the sheer number of features and customizability of the camera meant I could banish them immediately after I discovered them, unlike some other brands...

For the record, I am one of the people with the P-TTL bounce flash overexposure problem, but really I don't think it's such a big deal. I just use simple workarounds to compensate (almost by reflex now), and it should be fixed soon by firmware update anyway. It's certainly nothing as serious as the "mirror-slap" issue was on my K-x (yes it is real, at least on my K-x).

Last edited by Cannikin; 11-28-2010 at 07:06 PM.