Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #46
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
...I think that the majority of K-5 owners here on this forum are stepping up from another camera, for me the response to this camera from users and the impression I have of the K-5 says it is the best DSLR that Pentax have produced.
... but with the most unfortunate button layout inheritted from the K-7 rather than from the K10/20D... (I know that's controversial, but I don't think many with large hands at least argues that point.)

12-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
....... for me the response to this camera from users and the impression I have of the K-5 says it is the best DSLR that Pentax have produced.
I have owned a ist*DL2, K10D,Samsung GX20 and K7, I have used the K5 for the first time today and my first impressions are it is the best Pentax DSLR to date.
04-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #48
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Isomi Quote

...I've tested it with an AF 280T and the results were excellent...
So, I gather, then, that it's safe to use an AF-280T on a K-5. No issues with voltages or current levels frying K-5 circuits?
04-18-2012, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #49

It feels really 'cheap' to me for its reputation and price, like something poorly made in china. The rear thumb spot creaks a little under normal operation; the buttons feel poorly made/designed, not quite deep or reponsive; the button layout is slightly dumb, what's the point of the AF-On when you have to shift your grip to reach it?; there's dust behind my lcd, in a weather sealed camera; the grippy rubber has tiny gaps where it attaches to the body that could weaken over time, shown when I see water spurting out when I use a rocket blower; nearly all the connective junctions on the body have gaps like the one between the eyepiece and its surrounding plastic, which lets dust get annoyingly jammed in the middle, shutter button is very bad as the half press is not well defined, occurring very close to the actuation point, which is very shallow and doesn't allow smooth transitions. For example, I can have the D700 on CH and focus and take a single shot while not shaking the camera. With the K-5 I have to quickly take off

TL, DR: Zero attention to detail on the build quality. I say this because cheaper dslrs and micro four thirds cameras I've had before have not had these little problems. I could see these problems existing in entry level cameras like my friend's 1100D, but not a fully weathersealed 'professional' camera body. Unfortunately, I don't want to pay a whopping 60% more for a d300s or 7d that is built perfectly but performs worse and weighs a ton, or 35% more for a d7000 that is also built well but doesn't have as much flexibility as the K-5 (especially in cold and harsh weather).

I know on brand specific forums people sometimes get defensive on this stuff, so don't get me wrong. I'm really happy with the operation and performance of this camera. A testament to this is how it makes shooting with a kit lens bearable. I won't get into the system itself as I knew what I was getting into (aside from the surprise price jump). This is by far the best camera that I've OWNED, better in some areas than most that I've borrowed, but I am not as 'amazed' as others. Satisfied, in the true meaning of the word, is quite a fitting descriptor of me.

04-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trysaeder not sure how long you have had your k-5 but if you are getting dust behind the LCD you have a seal problem and should send it in.
Also just curious how using a blower causes water to squirt out?
04-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #51

If the grip is wet, blowing the edges between the rubber and the plastic will cause water to squirt out.
04-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah that sounds like you got one that slipped through QC. I haven't seen this on mine though I rarely get it very wet.

04-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trysaeder Quote
It feels really 'cheap' to me for its reputation and price, like something poorly made in china. The rear thumb spot creaks a little under normal operation; the buttons feel poorly made/designed, not quite deep or reponsive; the button layout is slightly dumb, what's the point of the AF-On when you have to shift your grip to reach it?; there's dust behind my lcd, in a weather sealed camera; the grippy rubber has tiny gaps where it attaches to the body that could weaken over time, shown when I see water spurting out when I use a rocket blower; nearly all the connective junctions on the body have gaps like the one between the eyepiece and its surrounding plastic, which lets dust get annoyingly jammed in the middle, shutter button is very bad as the half press is not well defined, occurring very close to the actuation point, which is very shallow and doesn't allow smooth transitions. For example, I can have the D700 on CH and focus and take a single shot while not shaking the camera. With the K-5 I have to quickly take off

TL, DR: Zero attention to detail on the build quality. I say this because cheaper dslrs and micro four thirds cameras I've had before have not had these little problems. I could see these problems existing in entry level cameras like my friend's 1100D, but not a fully weathersealed 'professional' camera body. Unfortunately, I don't want to pay a whopping 60% more for a d300s or 7d that is built perfectly but performs worse and weighs a ton, or 35% more for a d7000 that is also built well but doesn't have as much flexibility as the K-5 (especially in cold and harsh weather).

I know on brand specific forums people sometimes get defensive on this stuff, so don't get me wrong. I'm really happy with the operation and performance of this camera. A testament to this is how it makes shooting with a kit lens bearable. I won't get into the system itself as I knew what I was getting into (aside from the surprise price jump). This is by far the best camera that I've OWNED, better in some areas than most that I've borrowed, but I am not as 'amazed' as others. Satisfied, in the true meaning of the word, is quite a fitting descriptor of me.
Wow !

Suggestion: send it out for fixing the bugs, really.
Looks like you got yourself a bad copy, hoping it is still under warranty.

Best of luck.

JP
04-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 is coming in the mail tomorrow, and I absolutely am super excited about it.
I can't contain my joy at the moment.
That alone, I am quite satisfied. Can't imagine what it's gonna be like once I start shooting with it.