Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I'm going to ask again: what are you all (excepting deadwolfbones and Michaelina2) looking at??

I have that in my cart. The Amazon price from ANTOnline is in excess of one million dollars.

@ einstrigger: The worst they can do is accept your offer via Amazon - and put a cool USD $1.1 million charge against your credit card. It won't go through, of course, but I don't think you'd like the fallout ....

11-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
that must be the special handcrafted liberace version that would normally be available through neiman-marcus only.
Nah .... Harrod's. It's found in the Spectacularly Expensive Gift Halls. You need an introduction and the secret password to shop there. The loo costs GBP 100 (plus gratuity), a big upgrade from the single pound that the hoi polloi pays for a bit of marble and an obsequious attendant.

Not everyone knows about this .......
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I'm going to ask again: what are you all (excepting deadwolfbones and Michaelina2) looking at??

I have that in my cart. The Amazon price from ANTOnline is in excess of one million dollars.

@ einstrigger: The worst they can do is accept your offer via Amazon - and put a cool USD $1.1 million charge against your credit card. It won't go through, of course, but I don't think you'd like the fallout ....
Sorry; I meant to reply earlier. See if this URL will take you to the same screen I am seeing, one in which ANTOnline is offering the body only for $1155 + shipping....

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Electronics

And, yes, I was hoping to find some bargain. Actually there have been some bargains already, with body only offered into the 1400s at some times, for example, on Amazon. So, looking for a mild bargain is not silly. I do agree though that looking for a major bargain is probably silly at this time.
11-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Sorry; I meant to reply earlier. See if this URL will take you to the same screen I am seeing, one in which ANTOnline is offering the body only for $1155 + shipping....

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Electronics

And, yes, I was hoping to find some bargain. Actually there have been some bargains already, with body only offered into the 1400s at some times, for example, on Amazon. So, looking for a mild bargain is not silly. I do agree though that looking for a major bargain is probably silly at this time.
On that link I see H and B Digital selling it for $1599.

B&H have it for under $1500 now

11-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote

That URL led me to the generic listing for the K-5. When I click through, the ANTOnline prices is $1,155,000.00. That's just a bit more than $1.1 million. Either Amazon is mucking about with trial pricing again or you've confused a comma with a decimal point. That's why I asked you to check again.

And I see $1,599 at B&H right now. If I had seen the K-5 for under $1,500, I would have probably made a different decision. But only Tri-State was holding the price down when I pulled the trigger.

Last edited by glanglois; 11-29-2010 at 02:20 PM.
11-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
On that link I see H and B Digital selling it for $1599.

B&H have it for under $1500 now
Yup. And ANTOnline is listed under "More Buying Choices" for $1,155,000.00

I wouldn't buy from Ant ever. They were the reason for the pricing errors on the K7 and then didn't even own up. I almost feel bad for the few companies that had auto-adjusters where the price matched it.
11-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are we using Amex Black cards here? And yes, I also mentioned the K-7 price muck up earlier in the thread as well. Again, worst they did was cancel the order. Obviously, your normal person doesn't have a credit card limit of $1mil. And hopefully, they're smarter than that to click "buy" on a price error of that magnitude. $1155 is one thing, but $1,155,000.00 should look obvious.

11-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the Amazon page I reached earlier today showed $1155. Now when I go to that "same" page, it shows the $1 million dollar figure you are seeing. How bizarre.

In any case, it appears that ANTOline is not reliable, for one reason or another. And that was my initial question.

As to what is at present the best price from a reliable company, that's still an open question (and apparently a moving target).
11-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #24

I know the prices on Amazon have been on a wild ride up and down (lowest approaching $1400 for the body only). Now it seems you can get the kit with 18-55 WR cheaper than the body by itself. Go figure !

Dapeek
11-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I finally splurged and just ordered a K-5 from Adorama. I would have liked to have ordered from B & H since they are a site supporter but their web site says they are out of stock. I called my order in since I've moved since I created an account at Adorama and their web site didn't seem to want to cooperate with any edits I was trying to make.

Anyways....I originally planned on waiting until after Christmas but decided I wanted it for my trip to Chicago over the holiday. I'll wait until next year before I buy the new 18-135.

Adorama sold me the body only for $1449 with no tax and 3 to 4 day shipping.
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that is amazing. Over one million dollars for the K5. Suddenly it makes everything else in my life seem cheap, in comparison. It does seem a little chintzy though that they wouldn't throw in free shipping. I mean, Amazon gives free shipping on everything ever 25 dollars, why wouldn't ANT on orders over a million?
11-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
1449? I show 1494 when I put in in my cart....
11-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #28
Inactive Account

They quoted and billed me $1449 when I called in my order. Perhaps because I'm a repeat customer? I bought my K10D and all my primes and flash from them. Or maybe if you call them they will give you a better price. I can you give you the salesman's name but i'd rather do that offline if you want to PM me.
11-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

And I see $1,599 at B&H right now. If I had seen the K-5 for under $1,500, I would have probably made a different decision. But only Tri-State was holding the price down when I pulled the trigger.
When I looked (just before I made that other post) it was $1449 after being added to my cart. Adorama also has it for the same price as just mentioned.

All that said, I'll wait til the price comes down in Australia because even at $1449, with customs duty and GST added, it will end up being well above that price. Waiting waiting... or...maybe I'll just get K-r instead. Gawd I'm indecisive!!!
11-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #30
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I finally splurged and just ordered a K-5 from Adorama. I would have liked to have ordered from B & H since they are a site supporter but their web site says they are out of stock.

Adorama is also a site supporter! In fact, Adorama was the FIRST site supporter... ... see the big Adorama banner under my posting (and under Adam's postings)? if you click on that it automatically gives a fee to PF.

Send me your order number so I can get your 'phone order credited to PF: HelenO@adorama.com