Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
low price on K-5 ?

So, on Amazon, I see an outfit called ANTOnline offering the K-5 body for 1165 including shipping. I checked out their feedback through Amazon (92%, but the complaints I saw were minor). Any reason not to buy from them??

11-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New or used? Also I'd reddommer you check the serial number database to make sure its not a defective unit. Some k5s are known to have level calibration issues.

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Their Amazon 'body-only' quote says $1,155,000.00 + $9.95 shipping....
If you feel that's fair, what have you got to lose?

Cheers...
11-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
New.

Thanks for the serial # point.

I only need the body (well, could use the BG-4 ? grip and a battery or two). Is that price not good for body only?

11-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
New or used? Also I'd reddommer you check the serial number database to make sure its not a defective unit. Some k5s are known to have level calibration issues.

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
Only the No. 3823032 has this issue? Hope I don't get it....
11-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
So, on Amazon, I see an outfit called ANTOnline offering the K-5 body for 1165 including shipping. I checked out their feedback through Amazon (92%, but the complaints I saw were minor). Any reason not to buy from them??
I saw the million dollar price as well. Didn't offer to buy, though. Made me feel good about the value of my used Pentax gear.

OTOH, I looked up ANTOnline(Atlanta Networking Technologies??) on resellerratings. Last six months' rating was 9+. I wouldn't worry a lot but I think I'd rather buy from a specialized photo retailer. Particularly when I'm about to drop a cool million USD .....
11-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good seller, bad price.

11-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess the next question to ask is, why this low a price? Does it mean literally "only the body", that is, no software, no adapter, no cables, nothing that would ordinarily come with "only the body"?
11-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I can afford the camera at a pinch but cannot afford the insurance. Perhaps a Lloyd's syndicate would pick it up?

And $9.95 for shipping? Just a bit over the top. I'd see if I could negotiate that down to $5. Sounds fair, somehow ....
11-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I guess the next question to ask is, why this low a price? Does it mean literally "only the body", that is, no software, no adapter, no cables, nothing that would ordinarily come with "only the body"?
Perhaps you're looking at a different listing than we are. Amazon does that to test the market.

Look again. Does it really offer the body for a bit over USD $1,100? My cart says something else for ANT.

Or have you misplaced a few significant digits?
11-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should buy it and see what happens. It might be a price mistake or might not, but you won't know till you try. I believe last month Antonline were selling K-7's for under $400, but later canceled all orders citing "not in stock". They were actually just covering up a price mistake.

The worst they can do is cancel your order.
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

During the past, I've found two great deals on different items from retailers I've never heard of. With each, after ordering, I get an email to call them to confirm my order, and once on the phone they tried to sell me all kinds of stuff, and through questioning I found out the items (both camera bodies) didn't come with the usual stuff to use it right out of the box. By the time I added them, the total price was higher than Adorama or B&H. I've learned my lesson. I'll deal with only these two reputable retailers.
11-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The other concern I have now about this company is the documented and continual problems that buyers have had with them WHEN they products have had problems. Apparently, no end of headaches when that happens. So, one takes a risk?

Alright, assuming this company is not the way to go, are there any other better deals out there? I can find the camera+lens for the same price as the body only....
11-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't always have it the way you want it....

The other concern I have now about this company is the documented and continual problems that buyers have had with them WHEN they products have had problems. Apparently, no end of headaches when that happens. So, one takes a risk?

Alright, assuming this company is not the way to go, are there any other better deals out there? I can find the camera+lens for the same price as the body only....
With all respect, it seems you want to get a hot product that is in high demand at a rock bottom price with little risk of headaches from the vendor.

Ouch.

You can either wait until next year when the prices come down at reputable dealers or you cough up the full price like the rest of the early adopters. The laws of supply and demand are working against you here, you're simply NOT going to find a cut-rate deal on a K-5 right now. At least not one you want to risk your money on.

It sounds like you're really into it for the bargain, and those will be surely heading your way ....say spring of next year.

Best
11-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Their Amazon 'body-only' quote says $1,155,000.00 + $9.95 shipping....
If you feel that's fair, what have you got to lose?

Cheers...
that must be the special handcrafted liberace version that would normally be available through neiman-marcus only.