Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! I should keep reading all the stuff posted in these kinds of forums.

I feel another article coming on. 'The Psychology of Camera Ownership and Online Forums'. Keep these things going guys [and gals]. I am collecting material...

12-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
I'm the OP of this thread asking about shutter life between the d7000 and k-5. After a little more research I found that MANY people are having problems with hot or dead pixels in the d7000
To the OP ...

You seem to be in the process to shop for D7000 or K-5.

The shutter spec question shows that you started from the spec sheet which is fair enough (btw, I don't think that 100k+ vs. 150k+ shutters from different vendors have significantly different lifespans).

Now, you discovered the hot pixel issue for the D7000. While I agree that this is a bad one, it shouldn't rule out that option.

To give you a feeling of what may be missing from your decision process, let me point you to The Online Photographer: New Camera

That's a report from a pro photographer on why selecting a K-5. Partial and probably astonishing for you as far as his list of priorities goes (look towards the end of the article).

So, what is missing is to get in touch with both products and see if you can fall in love with one of them.
12-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #48
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Wow! I should keep reading all the stuff posted in these kinds of forums.
I feel another article coming on. 'The Psychology of Camera Ownership and Online Forums'. Keep these things going guys [and gals]. I am collecting material...
Photography forums ... Automotive forums be it dedicated to one manufacturer or mixed, but especially when mixed ... Bodybuilding forums ... MMA Fighting forums ... forums dedicated to TV shows [Lost was a particular obsession of mine; whatawaste! ] ... it's mostly all the same.
12-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Neocamera review of K-5

Seems like a software programmer/photographer (who seems to live in the Montreal area) has his own web site to help normal people navigate decisions about buying camera gear. He has a nice review of the K-5. If you go there and read it, do you think it is an accurate review of features and performance??? He seems pretty knowledgeable about all kinds of camera technology in detail.

GA

12-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Nikon is putting a firmware to REDUCE the issue of bright Spot (pixel) in Video . Seem Nikon decide it was a major issue

Answer
12-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Nikon is putting a firmware to REDUCE the issue of bright Spot (pixel) in Video . Seem Nikon decide it was a major issue

Answer
Well that's pretty impressive.
I was under the impression that hot pixels were irreversible.

Now lets see if they can boost the buffer from 10 to 20 like Pentax did
12-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Well that's pretty impressive.
I was under the impression that hot pixels were irreversible.

Now lets see if they can boost the buffer from 10 to 20 like Pentax did
In line pixel mapping. We'll see what it does to specular highlights.

12-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Unless A: what Pentax has available suits your needs, and B, if Nikon's superior flash performance matters a whit to you.
+1. Sure, Pentax's flash performance is not at present up to Nikon's standard with remote flash grouping, etc. , but it still works fine in many applications. I used my K20 with a Metz 48 yesterday to take some pictures of kids for "family night" at a live performance theatre, parents happy, director happy, whats not to like. They came out fine, HighSpeedSync, red eye option, 1/200 shutter, didn't miss a beat. Would have liked to use bounce but the ceiling was like a black hole.
12-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I think the PENTAX claim for the K5D's shutter life is 150.000 actuations.However,my K10D's shutter shutter died in sixteen months and PENTAX Colorando refused to use their discration of having repaired as a courtesy-my camera being four months out of the PENTAX warranty.I went then and I bought the K20D having enough lenses bought for the K10D and my two K1000 cameras.On the other hand NIKON has just replaced at no cost the Aperture Leverer on my D300 which is almost six months beyond NIKON's warranty!Kudos to NIKON and especially NIKON's excellent people in Melville,NY!!!It's very reassuring towards my next DSLR.The D4 that is up soon as 2011.Nikon stays behind their products as Apple does!
12-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #55
Veteran Member

From my own experience, the shutter life is an important factor when choosing a new camera. I bought the first generation lemon of Olympus Pen F half-frame camera back in the 70's. It only ran through two rolls of films, the shutter was jammed. In spite of repeated services, the problem was never corrected. This is the reason that I will never buy their 2nd generation lemon: Olympus Pen E-P1, mirror-less micro 4/3. For every picture, the shutter operates twice. Not only the shutter life is a concern, the shutter also generates vibration to blur the photo. Besides, I can't use a camera which has no viewfinder. Yes, my next camera is D7000 not K-5.

Last edited by violini; 12-11-2010 at 01:07 PM.
12-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #56
Inactive Account

buy the camera with features that suits YOU

not what other people say.

regarding lenses, if you're into primes, then get the k5 (w/o the oil stains )

if you're into zooms, get the D7000. there's MORE 3rd party support as well.

tamron just announced a new 18-270 VC w/new piezo AF drive for CaNikSony. nothing for K mount.

the tamron 70-300 VC USD also in CaNikon mounts. nothing for K and i can tell you, this is a great lens.

of course, there's always sigma.

nikon has hot pixels in video in some d7k's. they came out really quick to acknowledge and will be issuing a new FW fix. that is really commendable.

pentax has oily stains in some k5's sensors. while some dealers are swapping the defective cameras, we yet have to hear pentax address this offcially.

let's hope this doesn't go the way of the SDM where pentax just kept quiet.

both cameras have their pro's and con's.

bottom line is look for the features and lenses that you need most and pick the brand/model that matches most closely to your needs.

if you believe that you must have the 150k shutter, go with nikon.
if you need in-body SR, go with pentax

also look for the over-all support of the product, as a whole system.

unfortunately, there's no model DK7500
12-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Pentax did not learn the lesson from ZX series of cameras with plastic gears on the mirror motor shaft. They use the same flimsy plastic gears in SDM lenses. Plastic gears are cheap to manufacture, no lubrication is needed, run quieter than metal gears, but they break.
12-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
Pentax did not learn the lesson from ZX series of cameras with plastic gears on the mirror motor shaft. They use the same flimsy plastic gears in SDM lenses. Plastic gears are cheap to manufacture, no lubrication is needed, run quieter than metal gears, but they break.
Are you a repair tech or is this just a wild guess on your part?
12-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I will soon own the K5.......everyone has their reasons for or against. For me the excellent controls on the K5 and the ease of using the menus and dials far outweighs most anything else, since the IQ is so close, and in my eyes that edge goes to the K5 too.

The dials and buttons are all in the right places on the K5, and I can't imagine not being able to see the ISO setting in the viewfinder, as in the D7K. It would be like going back to the DS, where that was a real problem and cost me a lot of shots where I forgot what I had the setting on....yesterday.
I shoot mostly in SV, since it allows millisecond changing of ISO settings to match the changing light conditions when shooting wildlife....such as my Squirrels. I can see the change instantly in my viewfinder and never have any doubt about where it is set. Along with many other missing user comforts not found in the D7K, I figure that would be 150 Shutter Actuations of misery for me.
That is before we even get to the excellent performance of SR, and the thousands of shots where it has made all the difference in the outcome of the shot.
Those are just a few of my reasons, but they are all deal killers on the D7K for me, nothing to do with personal opinion, just facts.

From a personal standpoint, my Squirrels would never let a Nikon on the premises anyhow.....the love the SR and don't want those high priced VR lenses cutting into their Feed Budget.

1/60 @ 500mm....Hand Held.......Otis likes Pentax as much as he likes apples.......almost!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
12-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #60

Hi Rupert,
I like your pic of Otis. 500mm handheld with such narrow depth of field, wow! And now you are eager to get your K5 to continue shooting great pictures...

I just returned my K5. It was the 4th K5 I had in the last 10 days or so. They had a few issues, but the biggest one was: None of them managed to focus correctly. Neither with my Sigma lenses (17-70, 70-300) - which is no surprise according to other posts along the forums - nor with the kit lens (18-55). Focus was always way in front of the point I focused on. Pentax told me there were issues in low-light / room light situations, but should be addressed by 1.01. Unfortunately, not with the 4 cameras I tried out...
Of course I applied AF fine adjustment. In different situations I had different results, but never good enough. With the 4th camera I finally managed to achieve sharp pictures using -10 in the adjustment (maximum). The next day I had to re-adjust to +2 in another situation (other light?), or to -5, or even -10 were not enough. If the mismatch had been more or less steady! - It was confusing... but more than that it was disappointing, and finally, after hundreds of shots under various shooting conditions including great support from the store I lost confidence in this camera. I owned the K10 and then the K20, which served me so much! I never never imagined I could get such kind of issues with a Pentax. So I sold my beloved K20 the day before I got the first K5.
Now I own some lenses, and some other nice equipment - but no cam. I will wait for some time if these kiddies' diseases get solved - who knows, I might try again, as the "rest" of the K5 is just what I need.

So, to the guy asking about K5 or D7000: Take your card with you, go and shoot in the store, try to take some pics in different light situations if it is possible, take your time to do some focusing exercises, and then analyse your results back at home on the screen before you make up your mind.

Rudolf, would be interesting to hear about your and Otis' experience with that future K5 and that narrow DOF...

Regards
Heinz