Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5 or d7000 ?

I'm in the market for a camera and noticed the K-5 shutter life is rated at 100,000 but the d7000 is rated for 150,000. Is this true? I would have figured with the k-5 being more expensive it too would have a 150,000 rating...although the pentax body is full alloy.

I really like the k-5 over the d7000 however the shutter life rating difference bothers me.

Any input would be apppreciated, thanks all.

11-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
I'm in the market for a camera and noticed the K-5 shutter life is rated at 100,000 but the d7000 is rated for 150,000. Is this true? I would have figured with the k-5 being more expensive it too would have a 150,000 rating...although the pentax body is full alloy.

I really like the k-5 over the d7000 however the shutter life rating difference bothers me.

I personally wouldn't worry about the difference in shutter life ratings, at all.

The probability that you will actual use the shutter to failure is very low. Chances are much greater that long before the shutter breaks you will either have upgraded to a newer model and/or something else on the camera will break.
11-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

What you should be asking is who has the lenses you want more. Pentax or Nikon? Both bodies are good and offer similar image quality. But Nikon's and Pentax's lens lineup is worlds apart.
11-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote

If you take 10 pictures every day, and take 3 vacations a year where you take 2000 pictures (each vacation), it comes to about 10,000 pictures a year. You will be close to exhausting your shutter limit after 10 years.
Your actual use may be more or less. But you get the idea.

11-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

harleynitelite, only less than 0.1% of all Dslr users go beyond 100,00 shutters.
11-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Like has been said, look more into the lenses as an investment.
You'll likely upgrade the camera at some point, regardless of shutter count.
11-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I doubt that shutter rating is that precise a rating anyway. For example, at what point does one declare a shutter worn out? Seems a rather vague spec to me unless someone really knows a solid standard for it. It doesn't bother me in the least.

What i can't tolerate on the D7000 is that Nikon crippled it unnecessarily so that it wouldn't compete with their D200, D300, series, e.g. it doesn't include multilple image feature which is very helpful with flowing water, it doesn't include anymore than 3 image bracketing, which is unacceptable for serious HDR off-camera work. Also, Pentax has a really quiet shutter which outstrips the D7000, i believe.

The problem that Nikon had was they wanted to compete on price with the Pentax top of the line camera, but they didn't want to compete with their own mid level cameras. they can't have it both ways, IMO.

With only 2 APS cameras most of the time, Pentax doesn't have to play "ladder" games.

11-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
My istDS has way more than 100,00 actuations. Many Pentax owners report long shutter life.
11-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

Let's say your a professional shooter, and your method is machine-gun firing. Buy two K-5s the day you buy it and set one aside, to be pulled out in 5 or whatever years ... that is if you think there won't be something radically better and worth your money on that date. If you're not that kind of shooter, I'm apt to think you'll be have a hard time justifying any buying decision based on that particular spec.
11-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
mothy

QuoteQuote:
Me, too. Perhaps Pentax is just being more realistic than Nikon.?. But, since my K10D's shutter gave out after about 55,000 shots, I agree this is a legitimate concern. I'm just a hobbyist, but I take a lot of shots and 50,000 extra clicks would be a big deal to me. (Not to mention the lousy repair "service" I've received from Pentax / C.R.I.S.)

I wouldn't choose Nikon over Pentax based on predicted shutter life alone, but it is worth thinking about.
11-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I believe this spec is about as meaningless as hard disk MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) ratings. All brands specify very impressive numbers, but I can name one which is much more likely to fail early, based on many years of (bad) experiences as well as reviews. Since the manufacturer rather arbitrarily decides what they would like this number to be, it has little value.

QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
What you should be asking is who has the lenses you want more. Pentax or Nikon? Both bodies are good and offer similar image quality. But Nikon's and Pentax's lens lineup is worlds apart.
I'd agree with this. I didn't upgrade any of my bodies until I had many times their value in lenses. I just upgraded to the K-5 from the K-x. It's better overall, and nicer feature-wise, but of course my images aren't much better because I already had the lenses. I think I'd be perfectly happy with the D7000 as well, as long as I liked my lenses. I'm still considering it because I like the new Nikon 24-120/4 VR lens. In fact, I believe I might just get that lens and a D90, D3100, or even D5000 to start. But to switch to Nikon would be painful. I have so many Pentax lenses I like, especially the primes and the DA*50-135, so it would likely remain my main system.
11-29-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I believe this spec is about as meaningless as hard disk MTBF
I' did have a hard disk failure recently. It was under warranty and was replaced by the shop technician without any further consideration. I asked him why it did happen. He said: -You had bad luck; only 1% of the hard-disks from this manufacturer are expected to fail. Guess your HD fits on that typical failure rate. -How much of them did fail already, I've asked. -I do not know for sure, but it happens from time to time, he said. Really?

So, it looks like you are left to the infamous Uncertainty Principle, meaning that your camera shutter my fail you two months after purchase (not bad), or in two years (in Europe, you may be still fine, but check that expiration date, or last forever. I'm counting on that, but I can tell for sure.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 11-29-2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Typo
11-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that in general, the differences between the D7000 and K5 in terms of real life shooting are pretty minimal. I would rather shoot with Pentax body style, but either one will work and any differences visible in shooting in the lab are going to vanish in the field. The shutter life is probably equivalent and there is a lot of electronic stuff that is much more likely to fail, long before the shutter does.

To me, the thing that would push you towards Pentax is if you want small, tightly made, weather sealed equipment. Nikon's lenses tend to be a lot bigger and to get sealed lenses, you really have to mortgage the house. Remember that bodies come and go, but you need to make your purchase based on glass you would like.
11-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
Forum Member

Даа,обективите са важни,колко пари можете да дадете за стъкла.
Никон обективи на ф2.8 са много скъпи и тежки.
Шуттер живот не е проблем,ако не си репортер.
Но и за репортер няма страшно.
Пентакс работят и над 130000 кадъра.
11-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Itse olen täysin Pentax K-5 mies. Jos haikailisin Canon tai Nikon perään, en täällä oliskaan. Hankin vain kameran joka on miniulle riittävän hyvä ja jos se on viellä Pentax on se tosi hyvä.