Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
User care will have significantly more impact on the lifespan of a DSLR. Get that dust out of your camera and store it in a dry environment.

I'd like to remind everyone to look at my signature and post their camera in the database.

11-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd like to read a general discussion about the relative merits of Nikon D7000 vs K5 - not just one focussed on the (claimed) difference in shutter life.
11-29-2010, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #18
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I'd like to read a general discussion about the relative merits of Nikon D7000 vs K5 - not just one focussed on the (claimed) difference in shutter life.
there are threads for that. The OP has a right to start a thread about anything he'd like. And members can decide to participate and discuss. So the discussion had been entirely "on topic". What you suggest, wouldn't be tho, in this thread at least (yes I'll agree, the thread title is rather generic and mis-leading from what was actually being asked). You can search for D7000 in titles to find the threads where those relative merits have been discussed.
11-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mothy Quote
Me, too. Perhaps Pentax is just being more realistic than Nikon.?. But, since my K10D's shutter gave out after about 55,000 shots, I agree this is a legitimate concern. I'm just a hobbyist, but I take a lot of shots and 50,000 extra clicks would be a big deal to me. (Not to mention the lousy repair "service" I've received from Pentax / C.R.I.S.)

I wouldn't choose Nikon over Pentax based on predicted shutter life alone, but it is worth thinking about.
Serious question: How does one know that their shutter has given out?

11-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
given that its driven by an electric motor and a spring id say it breaks
11-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

here is a like to a website that has been tracking camera shutter life.

I don't think I saw it mentioned in the previous posts, but it is important to understand that shutter life is not a fixed number. It is an estimate when MOST cameras will cease to function. Some will pack it in at 20,000, some will make it to 160,000, but most will be dead at 100,000.

Camera Shutter Life Database

100,000 shots is far more then most people will ever need. And for the pros that burn into the 100,000 mark, they would have paid for the gear by that point.

Note that some cameras really do not have enough data points to really have acurate predictions.
11-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #22
Inactive Account

eu as alege D7000 daca as fi in locul tau dintre aceste doua aparate.
nikon d7000 vs pentax k5

Last edited by cristiansergiu; 11-30-2010 at 03:34 PM.
11-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
harleynitelite, only less than 0.1% of all Dslr users go beyond 100,00 shutters.
And 99% of all statistics are fake (including the one I'm quoting)

Yeah maybe it's 0.1%, maybe not even 0.1% but we don't have any data available about it, I have never gone close to half of 100k
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Unless you're a hardcore sport shooter who manages to do 10000-20000 (10K-20K) shots per day (I know at least one... the guy had over 300K shots on his D700 in a year), shutter life is completely irrelevant nowadays... We tend to change camera bodies a lot more often due to new features and upgrades to old ones... Just check the classifieds section... Most 5-years old (K10d, K100d, even K20d) cameras are selling with less than 20K on the counter... At his rate, for an average Joe it will take about 10 years to go through the "rated" shutter life...

So if by the time camera hits 20K you're orgasmically happy to change it, because the damn thing is too old by Today's standards, does it really matter if that camera's shutter is rated for 100K or 150K?

Damn, for argument's sake, if people on this forum were shooting more than they are talking and pixel-peeping... They'd actually know that shutter replacement is a rather simple maintenance procedure... Given that the sensor in K-camera is all wobbly and clunky (which directly affects AF accuracy), it's not the shutter life we should be worried about...

Last edited by alexeyga; 11-30-2010 at 03:19 PM.
11-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #25
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cristiansergiu Quote
eu as alege D7000 daca as fi in locul tau dintre aceste doua aparate.
5 posts? no valid supporting info and less reason to respect his/her opinion? Twit Filter "ON" ... Check. Bye.
11-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
,,,it doesn't include multilple image feature which is very helpful with flowing water, it doesn't include anymore than 3 image bracketing, which is unacceptable for serious HDR off-camera work.
Hahahahhaa. This is hilarious. There is no such thing as "serious" HDR, it's a terrible gimmick that should have died out years ago.

Nikon has more affordable lenses, if you know where to look. My 35mm/1.8 prime was $160, and Pentax doesn't have anything modern or good in that price range. You're stuck with the 50/1.4 which costs twice as much. It's also easier to find deals on Nikon glass since there's just so much more of it than Pentax. Don't forget about the AF, which Pentax is just barely catching up on. The D7000 has a new AF system, which blows any Pentax out of the water.

Do ever want to try shooting tethered on Pentax? Too bad. Pentax stopped supporting it after the K20D.

Most importantly is the flash system. If you use flash, you're going to get a LOT more out of Nikon's CLS system than Pentax's wireless flash system which doesn't do nearly as much.

In reality, the D7000 outclasses the K-5 in anything that matters in a real-world setting. And it does it for $400 less. So the people saying that the Nikon glass is more expensive? The price difference in the cameras more than makes up for it.

Sure, Pentax used to be the best bang-for-the-buck, but they are NOT ready to go head to head with the big two. The K-7 was a great camera for its price (I got mine for $800), however, the K-5 doesn't compare to the cameras in its price range. Sure it has a pretty new sensor, but without the rest of the features to back it up, it'll fall short.

tl;dr: D7000 is better value for the money.
12-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Bought the K-5

My wife is the photographer. We looked at both and bought the K-5. She liked the size better as well as having some older Pentax lenses.
12-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kazy Quote
Hahahahhaa. This is hilarious. There is no such thing as "serious" HDR, it's a terrible gimmick that should have died out years ago.
Overdone tone-mapping is, HDR is not. HDR and a light form of tone mapping have always been useful (see Zone System). However, bracketing will become less important, but tone-mapping moreso with cameras that have higher and higher dynamic range. Yes, if you are bringing out shadows, you are tone-mapping
QuoteQuote:

Nikon has more affordable lenses, if you know where to look. My 35mm/1.8 prime was $160, and Pentax doesn't have anything modern or good in that price range.
Good point
QuoteQuote:
You're stuck with the 50/1.4 which costs twice as much. It's also easier to find deals on Nikon glass since there's just so much more of it than Pentax.
Depends on your location. In many places, there's also a higher demand to match the higher supply.
QuoteQuote:
Don't forget about the AF, which Pentax is just barely catching up on. The D7000 has a new AF system, which blows any Pentax out of the water.
I'm inclined to agree, but still looking for real comparisons between the two.
QuoteQuote:

Do ever want to try shooting tethered on Pentax? Too bad. Pentax stopped supporting it after the K20D.
Another good point. Although the polish 3rd-party application looks promising.
QuoteQuote:

Most importantly is the flash system. If you use flash, you're going to get a LOT more out of Nikon's CLS system than Pentax's wireless flash system which doesn't do nearly as much.
And if you want to get into more serious flash, you should get into manual wireless triggers, which are brand-agnostic. While CLS is nice in some situations, many forgo it:

http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/lighting/87570-nikons-cls-vs-str...-lighting.html
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/09/pocket-wizard-vs-nikon-cls-which-is.html
http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00IcsN
http://www.flickr.com/groups/weddingphoto/discuss/72157622347729902/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157622221923909/

QuoteQuote:

I'd agree with this statement on bodies alone.

Last edited by Eruditass; 12-01-2010 at 05:51 PM.
12-01-2010, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kazy Quote
Well, this just fired some of your credibility down the toilet. Another individual who doesn't know what HDR is.
Yippee.

QuoteQuote:

Nikon has more affordable lenses, if you know where to look. My 35mm/1.8 prime was $160, and Pentax doesn't have anything modern or good in that price range. You're stuck with the 50/1.4 which costs twice as much. It's also easier to find deals on Nikon glass since there's just so much more of it than Pentax. Don't forget about the AF, which Pentax is just barely catching up on. The D7000 has a new AF system, which blows any Pentax out of the water.
At my local online shop, the Nikkor 35/1.8G is $259.35.
The Pentax 35/2.4 is 188.82.
Granted the Pentax lens is in the range of a half stop slower, but perhaps you could do a modicum of research before you make another misspeak.
As an aside, and please remember, I'm just a simple photographer, not a troll, but do you really think a 50mm lens is a sound replacement for a 35mm lens?
Answer honestly now.
Granted, I suppose on the Nikon glass being easier to get for cheap. The Pentax user base has, over the past few years really pushed up the price of used glass.
I suppose the price difference speaks more volumes about the desirability, so I won't go any farther down this road.
You aren't saying anything new about the AF differences between Pentax and Nikon, though at this point, they are both so good that it probably won't make a difference in a real world setting.

QuoteQuote:

ding ding, we finally have a winner.
And were I still a product photographer I am sure I would miss it, but in the studio shooting portraits, it's more of a distraction (trust me, I've tried it) than an aid, and in the field I don't really think tethering is important.
YMMV, but I doubt it for anything other than ego justification.

QuoteQuote:
Can't answer to that, I don't waste my time with shoe mount flashes. I grew up about 20 years ago and bought a set of real studio lights.

QuoteQuote:

In reality, the D7000 outclasses the K-5 in anything that matters in a real-world setting. And it does it for $400 less. So the people saying that the Nikon glass is more expensive? The price difference in the cameras more than makes up for it.
On this, I'm just going to suggest you are playing fast and loose with the truth and be done with it.

At the moment, the K5 costs $165.41 more than the D7000 at The Camera Store in Calgary.
Now, I will grant you that Nikon has more available lenses, so lets compare what Nikon does have to what Pentax has, just to keep it fair. Apples to apples and all that.

Nikkor 20/2.8 $607.67 vs Pentax 21/3.2 599.62. Nominally a bit slower, nicer build quality.
Nikkor 18-55VR is more money.
Nikkor 50-200VR, over $100.00 more than the Pentax.
Nikkor 55-300VR, over $100.00 more than the Pentax.
Nikkor 50/1.4, 132.00 more than the Pentax.
Nikkor 60 Micro is 56 dollars less than the Pentax 50/2.8 Macro. Yippee, you actually have one correct answer. Look at you go!!
Nikkor 24-120VR, $615.87, Pentax 18-135 $566.44 Look at that, it's not only less money, it has a wider range. Almost exactly makes up for the 60mm Micro being overpriced, I guess.
Anyway, I could go on, but when I call a person out for being less than forthcoming with the truth, I feel I need to present some sort of justification.

QuoteQuote:

Sure, Pentax used to be the best bang-for-the-buck, but they are NOT ready to go head to head with the big two. The K-7 was a great camera for its price (I got mine for $800), however, the K-5 doesn't compare to the cameras in its price range. Sure it has a pretty new sensor, but without the rest of the features to back it up, it'll fall short.

I'm not sure if anyone here has ever said Pentax is ready to go head to head with anyone, but the K5 compares quite favourably to cameras in it's price range, especially when you take into accout the reality that Pentax glass is both better and (apparently, given the numbers I found) less expensive than Nikon glass.
Don't believe me? Point your Nikkor lens at the sun and look at all the pretty flares that you get.
Do the same thing with a Pentax lens and look at the lack of pretty flare.
For some of us, the ones who are actually discerning about what makes pictures (that would be the lenses, just in case your confused), Pentax just make a lot more sense than the "big two", and especially makes a lot more sense to people who have some investment in quality glass.

Pentax glass is better glass, and when the shutter is open, glass is what is between the sensor and the subject, and discerning photographers want that to be the best they can get.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 12-01-2010 at 07:39 PM.
12-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
In reality, the D7000 outclasses the K-5 in anything that matters in a real-world setting. And it does it for $400 less.
I would agree that the D7000 is more competitively priced but to say the D7000 outclasses the K-5 in everything is hyperbole. If the D7000 inherited the AF system, buffer, and CF slot found in the D300s your statement would carry more weight. But it doesn't.

The Nikon that outclasses the K5 isn't the D7000 (they're too evenly matched). It's the 700 and 3s/x. Now you're using FX lenses which are more expensive.