Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #61

k-5 vs d7000

I had both cameras for tryouts. Pentax won the game. Simply put it becomes intuitive in your hands. Much easier to work with than Nikon. The smaller size and menu layout require no thought. Nikon OS reminds me of Windows. Doink. I've been working with a 5d since it came out. It's a brick. The Nikon's are bricks. The K-5 just feels and performs in a major way. Lower noise. Less intrusive. It's the first digital camera I've worked with that feels like a Leica. It's a beauty. I bought the body plus a 40 and 70 and soon I'll get the 21. Yes the Nikon does focus a bit faster. So what. All of the big three (I include Pentax, not Sony) have great products. Issue is what feels best for user.

12-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I will soon own the K5.......everyone has their reasons for or against. For me the excellent controls on the K5 and the ease of using the menus and dials far outweighs most anything else, since the IQ is so close, and in my eyes that edge goes to the K5 too.

The dials and buttons are all in the right places on the K5, and I can't imagine not being able to see the ISO setting in the viewfinder, as in the D7K. It would be like going back to the DS, where that was a real problem and cost me a lot of shots where I forgot what I had the setting on....yesterday.
I shoot mostly in SV, since it allows millisecond changing of ISO settings to match the changing light conditions when shooting wildlife....such as my Squirrels. I can see the change instantly in my viewfinder and never have any doubt about where it is set. Along with many other missing user comforts not found in the D7K, I figure that would be 150 Shutter Actuations of misery for me.
That is before we even get to the excellent performance of SR, and the thousands of shots where it has made all the difference in the outcome of the shot.
Those are just a few of my reasons, but they are all deal killers on the D7K for me, nothing to do with personal opinion, just facts.

From a personal standpoint, my Squirrels would never let a Nikon on the premises anyhow.....the love the SR and don't want those high priced VR lenses cutting into their Feed Budget.

1/60 @ 500mm....Hand Held.......Otis likes Pentax as much as he likes apples.......almost!
[/url] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
Actually the ISO is shown in the view finder. The number cluster to the far right shows either shots remaining, or ISO. I suspect it depends how you have you camera set, Much like my K10D does not always show ISO in the viewfinder, it also depends on the settings.
12-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #63
Inactive Account

Onko uusi Pentax malli d7000, en ole sellaista kuullut aijemmin?
12-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Nikon is D7000 not pENTAX

12-14-2010, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm "test driving" a D7000 right now until the stain issue with the K-5 has been remedied. I briefly had a K-5 before returning it due to the sensor stain issue. Anyhow, I've been playing with the Nikon for a while and here are some quick impressions:

Things I like:
1. Accessories that came with the camera seem better than Pentax. Real caps for the body and lens that screw on versus the push-ins that Pentax uses for kits. The battery charger seems more versatile as you can plug it directly into the wall (like an Eneloop charger) or use the included chorded plug (like the K-5 charger). Also love the hard plastic rear LCD cover versus buying the cheap film protectors for my Pentaxes.

2. Live view and the dedicated movie recording button seems better implemented with the Nikon. I've always disliked turning the mode dial button to get to movie recording on the K-7/K-5. On the Nikon, you just flick the Live view switch and then press the button to begin recording.

3. Size and build quality of the Nikon is also quite good. I was expecting a big camera, but it really is not much larger than a K-5.

4. Dual SD cards. Wonderful idea, especially considering the file sizes cameras produce these days. I'm using a 16GB class 10 card which the camera guesses amounts to 420+ or so photos. When you toss in video, space goes quick and having a second card at the ready without swapping is nice.

5. 1/250s flash synch. Not much to say about this other than wishing I could do this on a Pentax. Honestly though, I do mostly manual flash shots, so it's not that big of a deal.

Things I didn't like:

1. WB and ISO button placement sucks. Maybe I just got used to the ISO button on my Pentax, but I agree with DPR's opinion on this. When I shoot my left hand is typically cupping the base of the camera with my thumb, index, and middle fingers to adjust focal length on the lens. Having to bring my thumb away from that position to search for the ISO button slowed me down and seemed counter intuitive. Of course, you can set Auto-ISO and not have to contend as often, but it's still not as intuitive compared to the K-5.

2. Shutter sound. It's not loud, but it's definitely not as quiet as the K-5. Even when you put the D7000 in "Q" (for quiet shutter release) mode, it still is louder than the K-5. I think someone described the K-5's shutter release sounding like a stick of butter hit through a tennis racket.

3. Grip. For what it's worth, I figure I have medium to large sized hands (I wear med in most motorcycle gloves). For me, the D7000's grip felt fatter than the K-5. I guess that's the best I can describe it. I felt like I could grip the K-5 more securely because my fingers covered more of the grip on the K-5 versus the Nikon. The dual SD card slot on the grip probably contributed to this (hence why I'm calling it fat).

4. Build. Ok, I know I mentioned it as an aspect that I liked above, but when comparing it to the K-5, I felt the K-5's build was better. Although well built, the D7000 just seemed more "plasticky" when compared to the K-5. I'm chalking that up to the extra seals that the K-5 has in addition to more magnesium alloy. The K-5 being a smaller camera, still felt more hefty if not substantial.

5. AF in movie mode. I was excited about this feature, but realize it's just a gimmick. For one, it's super slow and for two, it's really loud. The stereo mic is located close to the lens, so if you're recording a movie and have it on AF, you can expect to capture all the noise involve with the camera trying to focus. MF is much quicker and quieter.

Anyhow, that's my subjective initial impressions, as I'm still getting to know the camera and put it through the paces. If anything, it's making me miss having the K-5 around Thanks for reading.
12-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting experience.
How about those rubber flaps on the left of the body?
The D700 one I tried didn't quite close properly. It didn't seem very reliable.
And what of the grip? the one I tried didn't feel very tight no matter how hard I tightened it. And it squeaked when I used it.

Oh and I agree about video AF.
I was also looking forward to trying it and it was pretty much awash.
Other than that, I spent most of my time with the camera trying to figure out where things were
12-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Yeah, my initial (and current) time with the D7000 is still spent mostly on trying to find out where things are. The Pentax menu is simplistic and easier to me, but I figure it might be just me being used to Pentax. I also hated that the front wheel changes aperture and the rear wheel changed shutter speed. I thought that was backwards, but again, maybe I was just used to Pentax. The wheels can be reversed, so it wasn't a problem afterwards. As for the flaps, they all closed tightly, but I doubt I would subject the camera to any inclement weather. I'm not too confident in that regard.

Anyhow, I wasn't sure if you're referring to the battery grip (MBD-11), but I don't have a sample to attach to the camera. I was just referring to the camera grip as it was.

12-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #68

I just came from the local camera shop, had to buy a filter for the K5 and the manager ask what camera I was putting it on and I told him the K5 and he lit up like a Christmas tree and started telling how good they are. He sell the other brands but finally admitted he order the K5 from BH and a couple of lenses. What does that tell you? your right the K5 is better then the Nikon.
12-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
5. AF in movie mode. I was excited about this feature, but realize it's just a gimmick. For one, it's super slow and for two, it's really loud. The stereo mic is located close to the lens, so if you're recording a movie and have it on AF, you can expect to capture all the noise involve with the camera trying to focus. MF is much quicker and quieter.
I am as much a Pentax fan as the next guy on this site, but I have to give credit where it's due to Nikon. The AF video is a big step forward. MF video is nice in theory but having tried it with my K7, I have to say I wish it (and the K5) had an autofocus option.

Have a look at this video to see the Nikon AF in action - it's silent and smooth - and as for speed, fast autofocus is not necessary with video:

12-15-2010, 03:25 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote

Have a look at this video to see the Nikon AF in action - it's silent and smooth - and as for speed, fast autofocus is not necessary with video
Is it just me, or is there an annoying stakkato noise when focussing despite the loud water? Or is this noise from something else?
12-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #71
Veteran Member

There is some sort of clicky sound for sure.

and plenty of jelly too.
12-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I am as much a Pentax fan as the next guy on this site, but I have to give credit where it's due to Nikon. The AF video is a big step forward. MF video is nice in theory but having tried it with my K7, I have to say I wish it (and the K5) had an autofocus option.

Have a look at this video to see the Nikon AF in action - it's silent and smooth - and as for speed, fast autofocus is not necessary with video:
The focusing looks pretty bad, in my opinion. It does make quite a bit of noise and struggles with the panning shots. The best shots in that video were where focus was not changing. Pentax definitely could have included an auto focus that worked as well as that (using the same focus as live view focus), but they decided that it would not achieve the quality level they wanted and so they left it off.

I guess there is no guarantee that it couldn't be added later in a firmware update, but I sort of doubt it.

I do wonder what the clicking sound is. I get something similar at times on the K7 when using the internal mic and using image stabilization, but the D7000 doesn't have IS.

Edit: I just have to think that if a camcorder was released with auto focus that worked like this, it would be universally slammed. The fact that this is dSLR makes it OK, I guess. Still, this isn't even trying to track real action, like kids running around and playing. I can't imagine what that would look like.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-15-2010 at 06:51 AM.
12-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I do wonder what the clicking sound is. I get something similar at times on the K7 when using the internal mic and using image stabilization, but the D7000 doesn't have IS..
So, others hear it too. Clicky sound is a better description.

It happens when the focus changes. So I guess it is from contrast AF hunting and every stop of the lens contributes a click. Even if the AF motor is silent, tge hard stop every time could transmit via body vibration to the body-attached micro. Not sure though.
12-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #74

Yes there is a real loud clicking noise there. I have a real nice HD Sony for taking movies, and I have a real nice Pentax K5 for taking outstanding pictures and it feels better in my hand and the buttons have a better placement for me and I just like Pentax. I did not buy the K5 for a movie recorder it just happened to have one go figure.
12-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Regarding AF in video, the noises may also be based on the type of lenses used. I've been testing with an 85mm 1.8D series lens, which I'm guessing is a screw drive. I'm wondering if you use a newer lens with Nikon's silent wave motor it would be more quiet. Maybe the above video was using an SWM lens, but yes, you could still hear a distinct clicking sound.