Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
If my camera is wet or I have been out in freezing snowy conditions ... I put half a dozen silica gel desiccant satchels within the bags. ...
Just to qualify, if you shoot in a cold but low-humidity climate, I don't think the silica gel is necessary; I've come in from the cold many times and just done the Ziploc thing and had absolutely no problems. If my camera was wet, however, a different story - I'd definitely towel it off and use the silica gel as well.

12-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Cold the camera takes well. Took it with me last tuesday and wednesday to the moores. Tuesday was wet (snowy) wednesday cold: real temp -8C but because of the strong north-eastern wind real feel tem. -18C. Not much sun. Stayed out for three hours, guess the k-5 took it better than me. It was very lonely out there, all I met were two 80+ gentlemen out nordic walking. They asked wether I was out of my mind. But it was beautiful. To keep my hands warm I have a pair of very cheap (1,79 euro) gloves from Zeeman (cheap textile supermarket). Really work well for me. Afterwards took it all with me food shopping in my shopping bag (well, yeah) (always do)) but I never worry to much, never had much problems. Do dry things of when wet, of course. And air out and air dry. Things lay happily around on shelves in my bookcase.
12-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #18

I've used mine at below -20ºC and have had no problems (okay, the metal got kind of cold). Usually I just wrap my camera inside a sweater. You get condensation only when the warm air from inside meets the cold camera, the sweater traps the air and absorbs the unvisible amounts of water.

Since it's a forum about cameras we need pictures!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo