Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi biphers
I'll buy my K-5 next week but in the meantime I use on my K-7 a Tamron SP 24-135 AF IF 1:3.5-5.6 This lens can't wait to bond with the new K-5. This is a very capable lens. Unfortunately it is no longer in production but you can still find them on the net. They are not cheap usually but this is only because they are so good. The lens is solid, heavy and is build like a tank.
Is this the lens you speak of? Amazon.com: Tamron AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 SP AD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Pentax SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Just curious. Not sure.

12-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
For an actual exposure, f2.8 is f2.8 is f2.8 regardless of format; be it 4/3, APS, FF or MF...
Well, a 50mm is a 50mm on any format.
Just as true as the "f2.8 is f2.8" statement but just as unhelpful.

You only need to convert focal length, if you want to express the FOV of a lens in terms of another format. If you do this, you also have to convert the f-ratio. It doesn't make sense to convert one but not the other.

DOF and exposure are linked, it is not possible to separate them. A 75/1.4 on FF will gather more light than a 50/1.4 on APS-C. Whether you refer to the light collected as producing the "same exposure" depends on the definition of "exposure".

I don't like the classic definition which is based on intensity (proportional to photos per mm^2) as it favours larger sensors. A larger sensor is allowed to have its cake (allow better enlargement) and eat it too (no worse noise, because the spreading of the light to a larger area is cancelled by allowing more total light to be collected).

To avoid arguing about the definition of "exposure" let's state that a 75/1.4 on FF gather's more total light than a 50/1.4 on APS-C.

That's why the OP will find it easier to get good low light images. There are APS-C lenses which are faster then the 4/3 lenses he used, even if that is not immediately apparent from the maximum f-ratio.
12-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
How does this happen? :-o (I mean I thought this is simply a diameter/length ratio?)
My lengthy reply to this question was deleted in the recent database hiccup. A shorter version is above this post. Please let me know if I should repost any of the longer version.
12-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Yes it is and it is cheap, paid for mine near enough double for it if I remember correctly.

Greetings

12-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Good deal then I suppose.
12-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
This Pentaxian has the buying bug!

Well,
Got the K-5 last week. Like it allot. Can't even believe how quiet the shutter is. Focusing is plenty fast. Picture quality is very nice. Much better than the Oly at high iso. Have ordered more lenses. Flashes are next...... somebody save me

Have boxed up my Oly equipment and shipped off to Adorama used department. Hoping they come through as promised.

Olympus E-30 DSLR body
Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60 mm f 2.8/4.0 lens
Olympus Zuiko Digital 9-18 mm f4.0/5.6 lens
Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300 f4.0/5.6 lens
Olympus Digital FL-50R Flash
Olympus Digital FL-36R Flash
Olympus HLD-4 Battery Grip for E-3/3/30 camera

It's all gone now. I feel like I should have some sort of service or something.
12-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #22
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by biphers Quote
Well,
Got the K-5 last week. Like it allot. Can't even believe how quiet the shutter is......

Have boxed up my Oly equipment and shipped off to Adorama used department. Hoping they come through as promised.
If you need any support with the sale process, please let me know.
12-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #23
Forum Member

lenses

Well,
Got the K-5 last week. Like it allot. Can't even believe how quiet the shutter is. Focusing is plenty fast. Picture quality is very nice. Much better than the Oly at high iso. Have ordered more lenses. Flashes are next...... somebody save me

Olympus E-30 DSLR body
Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60 mm f 2.8/4.0 lens
Olympus Zuiko Digital 9-18 mm f4.0/5.6 lens
Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300 f4.0/5.6 lens
Olympus Digital FL-50R Flash
Olympus Digital FL-36R Flash
Olympus HLD-4 Battery Grip for E-3/3/30 camera

It's all gone now. I feel like I should have some sort of service or something.
what did you end up going with as far as lenses with Pentax?

12-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narichey81 Quote
what did you end up going with as far as lenses with Pentax?
Well, spent too much $$ already. Probably should have spread out the joy over a few months, but here it is:

Sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM (from doglover here in the marketplace, thanks again)
Pentax 18/135
Pentax 55-300

It took allot of deliberation on my part. Was a tough call. I like the 18-135 so far. It focusses nearly silent, and the image quality should suffice (after the Oly 12-60 that is). I only wish it had a faster aperture.

I chose the 55-300 over more expensive lenses because it will be used primarily for our kids' sporting events and should be good enough.

The sigma was a splurge, as I have enjoyed shooting ultra wide on many occasion. It's a very nice lens.

I will probably buy a fast prime early next year for low light/indoor events.
12-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I will probably buy a fast prime early next year for low light/indoor events.
Good idea.

What is dearly missing from your current line up is some "bokeh magic" lens.

The FA Ltds. are supposed to be the bee's knees and I'd love to try an FA 77 myself.

However, there are cheaper alternatives. The cheapest I can think of is a K55/1.8 (manual everything). The FA 50/1.4 has great bokeh starting with f/2.8. There are also a number of Sigma primes (e.g., the 30/1.4 or 50/1.4) which are highly regarded.
12-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Hold the cameras in your hand, the d7000 has got nothing on K-5's ergonomics.