Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Battery Grip AA problem!

Hi all,

Today i was supposed to shoot some video with my k-5, and I forgot to charge my main battery pack. I thought that I was safe anyway since i had a battery grip that also has the option to use AA batteries.

I inserted a set of newly charged Varta 2700 mAh, but after about 4-5 min of use the camera shut down due to low battery level!

I then inserted non rechargeable Duracell Alkaline batteries. The same thing happened.

I even opened a new pack of Duracels, and the same thing happened...

Anyone with the same problem?

11-30-2010, 04:26 AM   #2

There is an option in the menu for different batteries, have you checked that? I can't check it for you because I just came from outside and the camera is warming up.
11-30-2010, 04:36 AM   #3

I had the same problem with mine - new alkalines exhausted after a very short time. Didn't matter what battery type I selected (auto, alkaline) from the menu. I did get an extra standard Pentax battery, and that works fine in the battery grip.

I'm wondering if there's a bug in the software where you specify which battery to use first (main, grip, or auto).

Disappointing that AA's are a problem in my grip. Pete
11-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this with the original Pentax grip or are you using one of the cheap chinese copies. ?

11-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Forum Member

Rechargeable batts DO NOT have the fast voltage recovery that lithiums do so,
you will see a low or dead battery on your display. More so than ever, when
shooting video with DSLRs you are going to have to use AA lithiums in your grips!!!!!
11-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by emblemex Quote
I had the same problem with mine - new alkalines exhausted after a very short time. Didn't matter what battery type I selected (auto, alkaline) from the menu. I did get an extra standard Pentax battery, and that works fine in the battery grip.

I'm wondering if there's a bug in the software where you specify which battery to use first (main, grip, or auto).

Read page 279 in the users manual.
11-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blanco Quote
Hi all,

Today i was supposed to shoot some video with my k-5, and I forgot to charge my main battery pack. I thought that I was safe anyway since i had a battery grip that also has the option to use AA batteries.

I inserted a set of newly charged Varta 2700 mAh, but after about 4-5 min of use the camera shut down due to low battery level!

I then inserted non rechargeable Duracell Alkaline batteries. The same thing happened.

I even opened a new pack of Duracels, and the same thing happened...

Anyone with the same problem?
USE SANYO ENELOOP or LITHIUM AA.

11-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

chinese knock off grip does that
11-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by emblemex Quote

Alkaline batteries have always been terrible in dSLRs. I think since the intro of the *istD they have been a problem. If I remember correctly the K7/K5 has a menu option where you can tell the camera what Type of AAs you are using but you're far better off getting a third party generic D-Li90..

Welcome aboard btw.

12-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #10

Same Issue...

I have had exactly the same problem using Lithium AA. I discovered the problem when using Live View. After a shot or two, the camera would shut down with the low battery message.

My grip is from Pentax, not a knock-off.

I think there is a problem...

Also, have any other grip users discovered that their EV compensation value button doesn't work on the grip? I noticed this a couple days ago and am guessing that reason alone will have me contacting Pentax repair.

Steven
12-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by sjtryon Quote
Also, have any other grip users discovered that their EV compensation value button doesn't work on the grip? I noticed this a couple days ago and am guessing that reason alone will have me contacting Pentax repair.

Steven
Mine works just fine.