Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Is this what we call Dynamic Range:-)?

K-5 DA12-24 f9 iso100 Pro1 digital Cir-polarizer, developed in Pentax Digital Camera Utility

Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 11-30-2010 at 08:27 AM.
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #2

Yes yes yes
11-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Time to throw all graduated ND filters on eBay before people realize they're now completely worthless
11-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
Is this what we call Dynamic Range:-)?
Andras,

actually not

The scene has great DR and your image is great and has great contrast too. Perfect. It's just not challenging the camera though.

What is challenging the camera is when you compress the high DR into a low dynamic range output. I won't recomend with your gorgeous lake photo.

Nevertheless, I did it to illustrate what I mean. Bad photo treatment, great camera performance. Of course, I'll delete the photo if you don't want to see it abused

Last edited by falconeye; 06-23-2012 at 03:11 AM.
11-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Andras,

actually not

The scene has great DR and your image is great and has great contrast too. Perfect. It's just not challenging the camera though.

What is challenging the camera is when you compress the high DR into a low dynamic range output. I won't recomend with your gorgeous lake photo.

Nevertheless, I did it to illustrate what I mean. Bad photo treatment, great camera performance. Of course, I'll delete the photo if you don't want to see it abused
Thanks for Your comment! It is very informative and I ask You NOT to delete your version as the main point of this forum is to exchange knowledge and information!

I also thought about a similar version but I prefered the darker one..as it looks nicer as You also pointed out.

Andras
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Andras,

actually not

My creative photography teacher always reminds us to "kill your darlings".

To Planedriver: I've seen some nice shots from you. Keep 'em coming.
12-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the dynamic range is indeed scary.

(i didn't take the k20d along to compare directly, but i used to need at least 3 braketed shots to achieve the same in similar conditions, iirc).