Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

RRS L-bracket for the K-5?

I bought the BKL-7 bracket last month, and I must have gotten one of the last ones. I just received the RRS catalog today, and in the price section it says the BKL-7 was "discontinued in late 2010."

Does anyone know if this L-bracket will fit the K-5?

12-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #2

Web site shows "BK7-L" (did you switch the L & 7?) for both cameras, K-7 and K-5. Currently out of stock - due in in mid December. I have one on order for my K-5. I have read that both bodies are almost identical.
12-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I have no hands-on experience (yet, though I'm counting my pennies) I see know reason why the K-7's L-bracket wouldn't fit the K-5. As I understand it, the bodies are exactly the same. This makes me especially glad, as it allows me to use my battery grip from the K-7. The grip also has a camera plate for my tripod head - One less thing to buy!

I will mention, also, that it seems Kirk (who I looked at along side RRS) has done away with their camera-specific L-brackets in favor of a more universal design which only requires a camera-specific plate. They are available in "short" and "tall" varieties that allows the use of cameras with or without a battery grip. I would have appreciated this a year ago, as I wouldn't have purchased the grip-plate and the body-only L-bracket; I really wanted something that could balance the gripped camera on the center of the tripod head.
12-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emblemex Quote
Web site shows "BK7-L" (did you switch the L & 7?) for both cameras, K-7 and K-5. Currently out of stock - due in in mid December. I have one on order for my K-5. I have read that both bodies are almost identical.
Yeah, I understand that about the only external differences are the height of the mode dial and some differently-labeled buttons. Nothing that'd affect an L-bracket, anyway.

12-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emblemex Quote
Well, that's good to know, I can just transfer my bracket.

Strange, though, that their newest catalog says it's discontinued.
12-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I bought the BKL-7 bracket last month, and I must have gotten one of the last ones. I just received the RRS catalog today, and in the price section it says the BKL-7 was "discontinued in late 2010."

Does anyone know if this L-bracket will fit the K-5?
Fortunately I risked buying/importing the L Plate in October ahead of purchasing the K-5. The plate fits perfectly... now got to wait 6 months for the wild orchids to come out.
12-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #7

Kirk is now offering an L bracket specific to the K5/K7. I received an email from them a few days ago and placed one on pre-order. Price was $129 with free shipping at that time. They did not indicate when it would ship.
12-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #8

RRS did decide to discontinue the K7 L-plate, and not to make a K5 L-plate. Fortunately however all it took was a few emails from potential purchasers to reverse their decision. I believe that the new stock, which is being marketed as both K5 and K7 compatible will be available within a couple of weeks.

12-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

Yeah, but.. that RRS K7/K5 L bracket only works if you don't want to use the hand grip. Boo.
12-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Forum Member

Just sent Kirk a note asking for a one piece L bracket for the K5 with the hand grip. Maybe we can convince these folks with enough email/contacts.
12-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Forum Member

And Kirk's response...

"The only L-Bracket were going to have for the K5 with grip is our QRLB-T"

Which is their universal bracket needing a plate which makes the whole rig too large and heavy.
12-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm very happy to know this will fit, and fortunately I have no interest in using an added grip. One of the main things I am digging about Pentax cameras is their smal size.
12-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Forum Member

I'd corresponded a few times with them about whether the BKL-7 would work with the K5. They hadn't yet heard of the K5, but when I was finally assured of their return policy I decided to order but needed to have a K5 first so as to be able to test it out within the return period.

By the time I got my K5, it was no longer available. Very disappointed I was. I called them to express my disappointment, especially in light of my previous correspondence in which they failed to mention that they were considering dropping the product from their lineup. They mentioned that this L-plate had received a lot of requests in the past week but not enough to warrant producing it again. I reminded them again of the arrival of the K5...

Well I'm glad to see that they've changed their minds. I guess money talks and I've got mine on order!
12-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bpjod Quote
Well I'm glad to see that they've changed their minds. I guess money talks and I've got mine on order!
Yep, it seems RRS is advertising em on the Pentax Facebook feed, says they're taking orders for mid-December. Guess that means they got plenty coming.
12-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Great news! Though I'm probably not going to buy a second one for the K5 I'm planning on buying. The only problem with sharing one bracket between two cameras is that it's always on the camera you DON'T have with you...