Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iFoto Quote
why don't you become a Pro and you'll gone make it a Pro-Modell ;-)
well, if you keep it
this is why we need a like button like facebook
hahaha

12-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
Canon says the only model in their lineup that is fully weathersealed is the 1d series. The 7d only claims to be dust and weather resistant. If your friend can't understand the difference between resistant and sealed that's not Canons fault and not false advertising.
Pentax is not the holy grail of weather sealed bodies

Last edited by HeavyD; 12-02-2010 at 06:49 PM.
12-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, DPR has the following 4 categories:
  • Entry-level
  • Mid Range
  • High End Enthusiast / Semi-Pro
  • Professional

With 3100, 5000, 7000, 300, 700, 3s and 3x, DPR has to put cameras somewhere. The 3100 is entry-level, 5000 mid-level, 300 and 700 semi-pro. So, the mid-level had one vacant seat

Because the K-r is same class as 5000 it will be mid-level. Which makes K-5 semi-pro. It has a higher MSRP too.

And no, IMHO, it can't get gold. Gold, as DPR uses it, is to honor big leaps in development. The K-5 is too incremental an update to the K-7 to impress DPR. A K-5 after the K20D probably would receive gold though. As would the 645D if they ever test it.

And because D7000 and K-5 will be scored in different categories, their scores don't compare. An elegant solution to the which one is better question
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #34
Veteran Member

OK, so it's a hemi-demi-semi-pseudo-illusory-ersatz-para-modestly-professional camera body.

Everyone happy?

"O, be some other name!

What's in a name?

That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd, retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title."

Someone else wrote that.

12-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
OK, so it's a hemi.
Why yes, it is

12-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #36

How about Semi-Pro'ish

Forgive me, for I am new to the forums, but IMO the pentax is 'close' to the 7D but ultimately falls short of its Specs and IQ.
  • Its 1 frame/sec faster shooting jpg.
  • I think its faster on RAW as well
  • It has a few more fps options on video
  • Its focus speed is said to be slightly faster (don't have anything to back this up)
  • Has 2 more mega-pixels than the K5
THIS HOWEVER IS NOT A BAD THING. A K5 system will get you near the semi-pro quality of the 7D, but at a lighter hit to your pocket book. I think we should be happy that Pentax has come out with a camera that is nipping at the heels of such a great camera. The fact that we are even having this debate is a sign that Pentax is on the right track.

As for the Semi-pro category. I don't see why Cannon or Nikon owns it. Just because pentax doesn't beat it, doesn't mean that the K5 is not on the same "semi-pro" level. it just means its a lower end semi-pro level camera.

Lets not fool ourselves, Pentax is the underdog (currently) but thats what makes the system more interesting. Photographers make great pictures, not cameras.
12-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PixleFish Quote
IMO the pentax is 'close' to the 7D but ultimately falls short of its Specs and IQ.
Sorry I have to disagree with this comment, the following from Snapsort where the K5 scored 100 and the 7D 81.

Significantly better image quality 82.0 vs 66.0 More than 20% better image quality

The 7D is only 1 FPS faster and falls short of the K5 in nearly every department.

12-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #38
Forum Member

I know there is no point trying to explain anything to a rabid fanboy, but I'm bored so I'll do so anyways.

The only thing the K5 beats the 7d on is weathersealing. The high ISO IQ may be a little better on the k5, but the 7d is over a year old so I would expect a newer generation camera to be better. I'm sure the 7d mkII will probably be even better still, as will the next Nikon, then Pentax, then Canon, etc, etc, etc.

And one last thing. Canon doesn't make any claims about their weathersealing. If people fail at reading comprehension that isn't Canons fault. Pentax makes claims of being weather sealed, but gives no testing proof to back it up. You can't use it even 1 inch underwater without voiding your warranty so it's not fully sealed either. Until all the manufacturers agree to a standard all the terms used by all the manufacturers are arbitrary. Any claims made by users are anecdotal and don't represent a standardized testing method. The Sony A900 has no seals yet anecdotally it is better in harsh weather than the Canon 5dmkII which does have some seals.'

So I'm gonna leave this thread to the closed minded fanboys like yourself so flame away if you like (you fanboys do flaming well )
I think each one of us uses their cameras for our own personal reasons. That's why its called a preference.

I just have trouble when marketing schemes tend to mislead a customer into purchasing based on misrepresentation. In all honesty, most people who purchase a 7d will probably never subject them to abject weather conditions.

Those who might take it to the extremes, like for example colleagues in my field, know well enough that their 7d's aren't at all weather proof.

However, it is the enthusiast, who reads the literature and may misconstrue the printed literature on the official website and review sites, compound that with a salesman's over eager attempt to sell the product by adding a feature set that isn't really accurate, and voila... an unsuspecting victim of a failed camera, due to an incorrect preconceived notion.

You are correct in stating that an outside body should regulate a standard by which camera weather resistance could be graded or classified. But until then, camera companies should take responsibility if the information can be loosely inferred. For such a delicate matter, all reference to weather resistance should be left out if the camera cant withstand the elements. It all seems like marketing hype.

The 7d is a great camera, I know because I got extensive use when Canon loaned me one for review purposes. It's fast, the HD video is great, but the quality of weather seals had me hoping they would remove this reference from the official website.

It has strengths that I admire, but for shooting in and around the ocean, in humidity and in the tropics the K5 with a DA* lens proves to be a more versatile camera for me.

sample from their website:
12-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Thank You, Doc!
12-03-2010, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

I know there is no point trying to explain anything to a rabid fanboy, but I'm bored so I'll do so anyways.

Lets see, how many portrait and wedding photographers use Canon and how many use Pentax....um, lots more. While Canons colours may not be to your taste, it seems to work for a lot of people. I find Pentax's default JPEGS to be too bright and saturated out of the box. I don't shoot JPEG so I don't care either way.

OK lets see the differences. The 7d has better, faster AF, 19 points vs 11. 7d has a 100% 1x viewfinder vs the k5 100% 0.95x. Better video on the 7d, better frame rate and smaller files. The 7d uses faster CF cards vs slower SD cards. 7d can shoot more than 320 JPEGS at 8 fps, the K5 maybe get 35 at the same setting (fine JPEG). Dual processors in the 7d, only one in the k5. Etc, etc, etc...
The only thing the K5 beats the 7d on is weathersealing. The high ISO IQ may be a little better on the k5, but the 7d is over a year old so I would expect a newer generation camera to be better. I'm sure the 7d mkII will probably be even better still, as will the next Nikon, then Pentax, then Canon, etc, etc, etc.

As I said, the K5 is in the same bracket as the D7000/60d. In the Canon lineup it is ahead of the 60d, but below the 7d. It is a mid range (above entry level) DSLR.

And one last thing. Canon doesn't make any claims about their weathersealing. If people fail at reading comprehension that isn't Canons fault. Pentax makes claims of being weather sealed, but gives no testing proof to back it up. You can't use it even 1 inch underwater without voiding your warranty so it's not fully sealed either. Until all the manufacturers agree to a standard all the terms used by all the manufacturers are arbitrary. Any claims made by users are anecdotal and don't represent a standardized testing method. The Sony A900 has no seals yet anecdotally it is better in harsh weather than the Canon 5dmkII which does have some seals.'

Ok I'm done telling you rabid fanboys the truth. Pentax makes a great camera, but it's no better than anyone elses. The K5 is what it is, a mid level camera and that is it. You can elevate it in your mind and believe it is worth $400 more than the same camera from the competition. You can even think it's the greatest thing since pre-sliced cheese, that is your right, but shouting your beliefs if front of evidence to the contrary only shows you to be a narrow minded fanboy and not even worthy of a response.

So I'm gonna leave this thread to the closed minded fanboys like yourself so flame away if you like (you fanboys do flaming well )
You FAILED in your first sentence by using the logical fallacy of Appeal to Popularity

More people eat Big Macs than decent cuisine.
12-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Agree with Smeggypants.
12-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #42
Banned

Well I saw a Dutch magazine that put the 5D Mrk II as semi-Pro, so I don't think that K-5 get's hi on their list.
12-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
You FAILED in your first sentence by using the logical fallacy of Appeal to Popularity

More people eat Big Macs than decent cuisine.

+2
I agree as well
12-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #44
Veteran Member

indeed. however, i do not think it's that bad. in this case, it makes sense: it's perfectly valid to use popularity for your reasoning and ultimately gear choice, your choice will be a valid choice anyway (as valid as any other, some may argue). it's just that it won't be _your_ choice, but somebody elses. so basically you feel like you made a choice, and at the same time avoid the excruciating pain of the thinking effort required to reason and chose for yourself. i don't see a problem with that, everybody does it...

--
nanok, with the red fish
12-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #45

What defines pro cameras mega pixels or the photographer I know from experience it is the photographer even though I am a fanatical PENTAX user and owner. nuff said. IAN