Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 midrange or semipro

http://tinyurl.com/2v57bz9

interesting ... the D7000 was put in mid range category by dpreview
should be interesting to see where they put the K5 .. i predict the semipro (with the D300s and 7d) which also means it will have to best those 2 to get the gold award (and impress the staff)
exciting times ahead

Last edited by dankoBanana; 12-01-2010 at 06:16 PM.
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
D7000 now in correct category: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review

should be interesting to see where they put the K5 .. i predict the semipro (with the D300s and 7d) which also means it will have to best those 2 to get the gold award (and impress the staff)
exciting times ahead
Nah it will be in the mid range category along with the D7000 and the 60d. It is in the same category as all other flagship DSLR's from Pentax were, enthusiast cameras. The K5 really has nothing extra to offer over the D7000 to put it into the Semi-Pro category. It's certainly not in the same league as the 7d.
12-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K7 was labeled as semipro by dpreview
12-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Perhaps the labeling is relative to the manufacturer's own marketing tree rather than a deliberate effort by dpreview to ascribe a label. The D7000 is positioned as the successor to the D90 which Nikon marketed as prosumer/enthusiast or mid-range whereas the D300s was semi-pro.

Likewise, dpreview will probably label the K5 semi pro just as they did the K7 while the K-r will be mid-range. Not really apples to apples...

my $.02

D7000 now in correct category: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review

exciting times ahead

12-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
7D and THE K-5 would be in the same league
12-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
Nah it will be in the mid range category along with the D7000 and the 60d. It is in the same category as all other flagship DSLR's from Pentax were, enthusiast cameras. The K5 really has nothing extra to offer over the D7000 to put it into the Semi-Pro category. It's certainly not in the same league as the 7d.
which league are you referring too?

The K7 and K5 offer professional features that the 7d lacks, ie: the weather sealing. A friend of mine just toasted his Canon 7d with barely a splash of water, while the K5/K7 can nearly go for a swim.

He was a former K10 user, and lamented on Canon's false advertising for weather sealing.

"professional" is a subjective term... a pro could use a pinhole camera and take a fantastic image, while a novice can use the very best and most expensive and fail horribly. It all depends on how you use your cameras to suit your needs.
12-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

K7 was labeled as semipro by dpreview
lol
12-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Dr Mark,

I agree with you, my previous K-7 and DA* 16-50/2.8 was under the heavy rain for 2 hrs while I was visiting Beijing this summer, they took it like a champ!!! I'd love to see the 7D do that?!(maybe not).

Anyway, totally agree with you. How's everything with you? Back to Cali yet? I've been following your blog...

good to see you here

12-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

The two choices sound about the same to me.
12-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Perhaps the labeling is relative to the manufacturer's own marketing tree rather than a deliberate effort by dpreview to ascribe a label. The D7000 is positioned as the successor to the D90 which Nikon marketed as prosumer/enthusiast or mid-range whereas the D300s was semi-pro.
This is a good point and may be the case. It would make it tougher for the public to compare models though.

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
7D and THE K-5 would be in the same league
Would be, could be, but aren't. The K5 falls somewhere between the 60d and the 7d

QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
which league are you referring too?

The K7 and K5 offer professional features that the 7d lacks, ie: the weather sealing. A friend of mine just toasted his Canon 7d with barely a splash of water, while the K5/K7 can nearly go for a swim.

He was a former K10 user, and lamented on Canon's false advertising for weather sealing.
The K5 would only beat the 7d in weathersealing if there was a standard for all the manufacturers to base their claims on. Since there is no standard Pentax can also make any claim they want without any proof. Your friend had issues with little water on his 7d, while I shot with a friend for an hour in a full out downpour and his 7d had no issues. There have to be other variables at play like if your friend was using an L lens or not. If he wasn't it would be no different than if you were to use a non DA* lens on a K5, the water would just pour in.

Canon says the only model in their lineup that is fully weathersealed is the 1d series. The 7d only claims to be dust and weather resistant. If your friend can't understand the difference between resistant and sealed that's not Canons fault and not false advertising.
12-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
Forum Member

This is a good point and may be the case. It would make it tougher for the public to compare models though.

Canon says the only model in their lineup that is fully weathersealed is the 1d series. The 7d only claims to be dust and weather resistant. If your friend can't understand the difference between resistant and sealed that's not Canons fault and not false advertising.
Canon likes to ride the false assumption that many people make by placing terminology in their literature that misleads one to believe their equipment is more durable then it actually is. I believe it is unfair and altogether a trap. They should be honest and never put the terms sealed or weather resistant in the literature for anything below a 1d because anything below would succumb to the elements more times then not.

I like that the K5 is built like a 1d, and 1/3rd the cost.

It's not a fanboy point I'm making here, I own both systems and with the release of the K5, I'm finding the Pentax meeting my needs more than ever.

If, Im on boat shooting professional athletes and Im given the choice 7d vs K5, the K5 beats the pants off a 7d any day and yes the weather sealing is a big determining factor for that.
12-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It's certainly not in the same league as the 7d.
I agree, its miles ahead of the 7d.
12-02-2010, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

What is a name....

I think "mid range"is a usefull qualification, that encompasses all "non professional"camera's that are clearly above the level of entry level...

Semi-pro is not so usefull as that can mean both "used by semi pros' or ' somewhat lover level than pro"

And what is a "semi-pro"??? A pro is making a living out of photography.... A semi pro does not, so in other words a "semi pro" is in fact an "amateur", an "enthousiast"....

K-5 is certainly not a full pro camera but the various good points including selaing and availability of relatively cheap priced sealed lenses, in combination with its small size would make this mid-range camera a very nice back up camera for even the most demanding professional photojournalist.
And thus , if you translate (semi- pro) as "semi used by pros", this midragne camera is "semi-pro". And in this qualification the D7000 can also be called "semi-pro" and is , for the Nikon photo journalist probably a better alternative...
12-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on who's using it really !
12-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #15

other than 2 extra megapixels and autofocus tracking where is the 7d better than the k5? 7d sensor is completely thrashed by the k5's low light and dynamic range