Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pictures at shutter blur speed, please.

Now that LumoLabs have measured the shutter blur from the K-5, I ( and probably many others) would like to see the effect of it in real pictures.

So if any one has any pictures taken at (or around) the critical shutter speed of 1/80s from the K-5's please post a 100% crop so we can get a more graphical view of how bad this really is.

12-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Inactive Account

this is a spoon-it's lunchtime here in Hungary.

This is at 1/100 FA50 f2.8 iso200-that letters are really tiny and taken from around the minimum focusing distance,letters "MARGAN" are in focus.

Personally I don't see any loss of sharpness or whatever on these-actually quite good pictures to my taste considering the nature and the unscientificness of my test..

Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 12-02-2010 at 05:36 AM.
12-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Predicts this thread will highlight as many examples as possible from poorly taken photographs and less from any perceived "shutter blur"...

Jason
12-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #4

1/80
F5.6

handheld SR on

100% - click it

Will you clean my cactus :-)

Last edited by eigelb; 12-02-2010 at 06:40 AM.
12-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks very sharp to me, certainly doesn't look like 2 pixels worth of blur as a quick glance at the LumoLabs blur-graphs might suggest.
12-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Predicts this thread will highlight as many examples as possible from poorly taken photographs and less from any perceived "shutter blur"...

Jason
To be honest, it does not even take a poorly taken photograph to show any kind of blurr 2 or 3 or even 4 pixels wide on the 3264 pixels on the short side...
12-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've been doing crazy things like shooting Tv at 1/100s for over a week and peering at pixels....can't find the THING....
12-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm as curious about the findings as all given the photographs we've taken; but it's good to know your gear if this turns out to affect me.

I have one observation related.

I usually have the shutter's operation in continuous mode, but press and release quickly to shoot one. I inherited this default operation on the K-5 from setting-up my K10D that way. Doing that, often, a 2nd shot will be taken too, which is much more common on the K-5 of course. I noticed on the K10D the 2nd photo would often be sharper than the 1st photo. But on the K-5, almost every instance of this occurrence has the 1st photo sharper than the 2nd. (not AF-C focus)

This statement is based on a completely un-scientific observation. It could very well be my shake given I thought I was done w/the photo. I'm curious to learn however if something else internal is afoot to amplify shake on the 2nd photo a 1/7th of a second later.

12-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Imo the shutter blur bunkum is just more pseudo-scientific crap. Unfortunately pseudo-scientific tests is a fav topic for some and the more it gets circulated, the more it takes a life of its own, needlessly scaring sensible people witless. Btw, I have never encountered any supposed issue with my K-5 or my previous K-7 for that matter.
12-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Imo the shutter blur bunkum is just more pseudo-scientific crap. Unfortunately pseudo-scientific tests is a fav topic for some and the more it gets circulated, the more it takes a life of its own, needlessly scaring sensible people witless. Btw, I have never encountered any supposed issue with my K-5 or my previous K-7 for that matter.
Agree 100%

If you tested cameras from other brands, particularly ones that have max shutter speeds in the 1/6000 1/8000 sec range you would find this is not abnormal. Always has been thus always will be. It will vary by model and by sample variation but you will find it. It's a physics thing.

Of course the Pentax bashers will jump on this sort of pseudo science and run with it like a roadrunner on steroids. You only have to take a casual browse of the pentax forum on DPR to see these trolls, sometimes paid trolls using this sort of stuff to bring the K5 down.

Then the rumor mill starts churning and suddenly the K5 has a blur problem, produces soft pictures and cant use a flash.

Not sure what the motives are in all this but it is not positive for sure.
12-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
Inactive Account

it's already tea-time here so here's this tea-plate:

FA50 iso200 1/100 f2.5

the original picture looks sharp, lot's of detail:

and look at the crops-please point me out if there's ANY loss of IQ due to shutter blur! To my eye you can see more detail and structure on the plate than the naked eye sees without closely examining it.

look at the structure of the paint preserved even at this very small crop:

I'm thinking about a good example how to describe this whole issue (with this camera)..maybe it's like "DO YOU EVER CONSIDERED THE EFFECT OF USING DIFFERENT SIZES OF TYRES (for winter and summer for example) ON YOUR CAR WHEN KEEPING THE SPEED LIMIT?" Can we say who cares?

Andras
12-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh nooo

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote

look at the structure of the paint preserved even at this very small crop:

Andras
a scratch....
12-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I've been doing crazy things like shooting Tv at 1/100s for over a week and peering at pixels.....
umm err, methinks you need a pasttime
12-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote

Then the rumor mill starts churning and suddenly the K5 has a blur problem, produces soft pictures and cant use a flash...
When a new camera comes out, forum noise is usually a bigger problem than digital noise. The worst is when misinformation based on poor test procedures, for example, is stated as fact, even after it has been debunked.

How many of the K-5 "problems" that have been discussed will turn out to make any difference to anyone's photography? The only one I've seen that I am at all concerned about is the inconsistent flash exposures that a number of people have reported. Keeping an eye on that one.

Jeff
12-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would post some but they are essentially all middle gray due to the insane amount of blur.