Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing that is different from the film/slide days is the advent of post-processing of digital images. I bought an old Tak 70-200 zoom last month for 60 bucks.Thought I would give it a spin. Turns out it has a bad case of the CA blues and greens, especially along contrasty transitions as in #1 below. But with a bit of CA fixup in RawTherapee, it comes out quite nicely as in #2. So I just apply a custom output profile when processing images from this old lens. - Jack

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote

My recommendation would be to actually use the old lenses you own on the K-5 for a bit and see if their performance is so woefully inadequate that they require replacement with lenses that cost half as much or more as the camera itself did.
Actually , if anyone wants to discard or sell their old lenses because of the K5 let me know, Ill take them off your hands
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Koko uuden kameran idea menee hukkaan, kun on vanhan tekniikan laseja. Ei ne vanhat lasit ole huonoja vaan aikansa palvellut teknikkaa. Minullakin on hyllyyn unohtunut muutama 42mm lasi mutta en viitsi nykyaikana leikkiä niillä. Kuvaaminen on hauskempaa, kun on hyvät ja toimivat laitteet.

Last edited by 30v iPentax; 01-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.
01-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
Me too, i have screw mount glass i don't use any more because it's too much of a hassle, and wish i could: the 105mm f2.8, the 35mm f2 and the 50mm f1.4. The night time street use i liked them for needs fast reactions and having to do manual stop down and up by pushing that stiff and inconvenient tab on the lens, takes too much time. If only Pentax had included an actuator for the auto aperture pin in those lenses...

Other than that, i can almost live with using the green button in M mode for the Pentax-M lenses. That's just an extra move with my thumb.

i haven't any problems with the optics in those old lenses, after all they're the same optics i lived with when i shot film using an SV, Tri-X and a Sekonic incident meter, using those lenses at wide f-stops that're outside of their best behaviors anyway.

So far am making do with the Tamron 17-50mm at ISO400-1000. It's kinda outside the acceptable quality zone of the K-7 tho unless i shoot in B&W ... a bit of digital bias creeping in here, no longer used to the compromises i lived with in the Tri-X/HP-5 days. Time to move up to the K-5!

One of the things i can dream of if Pentax is coming out with a mirrorless body with a new mount, is that they might have attachable mounts for it that lets me use both M glass and M42 glass with all their auto features intact. It's prolly not economically viable tho, but would be nice to mount an M lens, spin the aperture dial and see the f-stops in the viewfinder, while having the autoexposure adjust itself accordingly.

Last edited by conradj; 01-23-2011 at 07:54 PM.
01-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Koko uuden kameran idea menee hukkaan, kun on vanhan tekniikan laseja. Ei ne vanhat lasit ole huonoja vaan aikansa palvellut teknikkaa. Minullakin on hyllyyn unohtunut muutama 42mm lasi mutta en viitsi nykyaikana leikkiä niillä. Kuvaaminen on hauskempaa, kun on hyvät ja toimivat laitteet.
I wouldn't say the whole idea with a new DSLR is wasted just because of old glass. You loose some functionality but as you say the glass in its self isn't bad. And that's what counts for me, final image quality.
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
I wouldn't say the whole idea with a new DSLR is wasted just because of old glass. You loose some functionality but as you say the glass in its self isn't bad. And that's what counts for me, final image quality.
+1

Exactly, the outcome of the image is what counts, so what if you need to put in a bit of extra work, I feel like people who are obsessed with the latest camera tech lose focus of whats important. The Final Image, some old glass can really give effects that newer stuff cannot, not to say that newer stuff is worse.
01-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member

If I had thought I couldn't use my Takumars with the K-5 I wouldn't have bought one.

Not only do they work just fine, they work better than they did on my K20D. For one thing, the resolution is better so the notion that old lenses are too poor to benefit from the jim-dandy spiffy new sensor is ridiculous. Another good thing is that the Auto EV Compensation feature is actually functional and the old annoyance of M42 lenses underexposing by different amounts at different apertures in Av mode appears to be a thing of the past.

01-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If I had thought I couldn't use my Takumars with the K-5 I wouldn't have bought one.

Not only do they work just fine, they work better than they did on my K20D. For one thing, the resolution is better so the notion that old lenses are too poor to benefit from the jim-dandy spiffy new sensor is ridiculous. Another good thing is that the Auto EV Compensation feature is actually functional and the old annoyance of M42 lenses underexposing by different amounts at different apertures in Av mode appears to be a thing of the past.
Yes, there was a thread that explained how the resolution was not close to out performing that of the older lenses, I mean think about it, they use to be used on full frame sensors, to think it could not handle a non full frame is silly imo.
01-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #39

I have used 11 old lenses from the 1970 and 80's and they are sharp. From 1 to 1 macro to 400mm tele. I am pleased with them.

Last edited by Rick Clark; 01-26-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
01-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #40

Not only do they work just fine, they work better than they did on my K20D.
That is also my finding. I still have K7 and I compared K7 and K5 using M50/1.4, M135/3.5, M100/4 macro and M28/3.5 on them.

K5 was clear winner with all those oldies. Much more details were visible in K5 pictures than K7.

Obviously weaker antialias (moire) filter on sensor has something to do with this?
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #41

Photos: Albums
I have an old 50mm F1.4 in mint shape, it was for sale until I read this thread
Now I have to go and play some more......
02-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Hear hear ! Horses for courses and that Auto-EV-compensation feature gets my wheels spinning.

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Obviously weaker antialias (moire) filter on sensor has something to do with this?
Hear hear again .-)

I'd say the easiest thing is a good manual 50/1.4 lens to put on your camera, stop it down to f/6.3 (see those funky curves for best f-stop) and I bet it'll outresolve any sensor. You will have to nail the focus and the exposure though. Apart from that, if you happen to nail the framing too you will be happy with a 6Mpix camera for a lifetime .-) I have held the K5 in my sweaty hands and it felt good. VF did look nice too.
02-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #43
Inactive Account

K-5 and old MF Lenses.....

The Pentax K-5 and the fine "MF Vivitar Series 1 VMC Macro 2.5/105mm PK-A", a very good combination.
1st shot with the Sigma EM-140 DG Ringflash.
Shots freehand JPG o.o.C. only resized.

LG
Hartmut
02-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Riittävän hyvä jälki.
02-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I've had some really good results with older lenses on my K-5. Here are some examples I took this weekend at Longwood Gardens just outside of Philadelphia.

The first image was taken with an m42 Takumar 28mm f3.5 and the rest with an SMC-M K mount 50mm f1.7. The last one is a 100% crop.

All images taken in Aperture priority or manual mode, freehand, no flash. Color adjustment and minor sharpening using Nik tools.

(sorry for the large picture sizes - still learning how to use the forum's photo gallery software.)
sorry? It shows new glass should be used on K-5 ?

it's quite a large investment to equip semi-pro/pro.