Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #226

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vario Quote
... You tend to spot them readily if photographing a fairly uniform sky at F22 but how many people do that?
QuoteOriginally posted by vario Quote
I do after now going through this fiasco
LOL! Exactly!

01-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #227
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had good response from Pentax on this issue myself. I visited my local approved Pentax repairman who was able to clean the sensor, the wet cleaning I mean, after several passes - at no cost. This guy is good and he confirms that this stain thing might be slightly blown out of proportion and one should be cautious about being too dramatic... although, I agree that Pentax may have had a quality control issue there.
I do have a problem, though, with my DA* 16-50 which completly lost it's AF, again, totally unresponsive! The first time was under warranty but now I'll have to pay for it.
01-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #228
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
I have had good response from Pentax on this issue myself. I visited my local approved Pentax repairman who was able to clean the sensor, the wet cleaning I mean, after several passes - at no cost. This guy is good and he confirms that this stain thing might be slightly blown out of proportion and one should be cautious about being too dramatic... although, I agree that Pentax may have had a quality control issue there.
I do have a problem, though, with my DA* 16-50 which completly lost it's AF, again, totally unresponsive! The first time was under warranty but now I'll have to pay for it.
Glad to see Pentax Canada is actually responding.

Re: the DA*16-50 ... I did send mine out for repair recently to Pentax Canada. Took altogether two weeks round trip.
This was my second such defective lens and becuase the warranty was just over by a few weeks (for the second NEW lens), they replaced the SDM motor and did not charge me for labour costs.
I though that was agreable.

Off topic: Mahone Bay!! I got a good friend there. See my PM.

Cheers.

JP
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
If he cleaned it you had dust, or a smudge. Not the stain.

01-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #230
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
OK, so some people are getting new ones. I better press Park Cameras for a refund; see if that speeds things up.

However there is some disinformation there from Pentax UK re 39+ serials being OK. It's clearly reported here that some are not OK. You can't go on the S/N alone.

Ok, Johnsons have today confirmed mine is a bad one and have said they will be sending a replacement as soon as they arrive from Pentax. Mifsuds do not have any apparently (even though they continue to advertise them as in stock) so looks like I have to wait a bit longer.

4 weeks today.
01-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #231
Veteran Member

I think I already posted... I got a replacement from Park Cameras (Burgess Hill, Sussex, UK). 39... S/N and seems perfect. It didn't look like they had a whole load of them though; I got the impression they are getting just one or two at a time.

Park Cameras is a very good shop. I have had loads of stuff from them over the years. However I think this is happening because Pentax UK is supporting the retailers. I had some trouble a long time ago with Nikon and it was a very different story, and I won't touch anything from Nikon again.
01-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #232
Inactive Account

Just got mine directly from Japan. Stained very bad... S/N 3853904
01-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #233
Site Supporter

seems incredulous that pentax doesn't know what serial numbers were affected with sensor/aa filter staining... and pull them from inventory wherever they may be.... not too difficult considering internet communications in the year 2011......
(or is it possible that they don't know exactly what serial numbered production batches were affected??? now that'd be scary if their quality control oversight is that poorly executed)
ugh..... let's hope they learn from this and improve their overall production/q.c./distribution and customer relations policies and procedures...... it'll not only help with current pentax owners like us, but prospective ones as well.... which will only help their financial bottom line..

01-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #234

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
seems incredulous that pentax doesn't know what serial numbers were affected with sensor/aa filter staining... and pull them from inventory wherever they may be....

IIRC, and I forget which of these "stain" threads I read it in, but it was noted that Pentax does not assign a block of serial numbers to any one product line. In other words, for example, out of a sequence of 100 serial numbers, some will be in no particular order K-5 numbers and the rest KR numbers. If that sounds like an odd way to do things, I agree but that was what was reported.

The important thing to me, assuming it is true, is what Pentax Germany supposedly reported in a different thread. Pentax noted the problem and all K-5s produced after the 50th week of 2010 are supposedly clean. Certainly Pentax should know what the cut-off serial number is and all numbers greater than that one should be good.
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #235
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
IIRC, and I forget which of these "stain" threads I read it in, but it was noted that Pentax does not assign a block of serial numbers to any one product line. In other words, for example, out of a sequence of 100 serial numbers, some will be in no particular order K-5 numbers and the rest KR numbers. If that sounds like an odd way to do things, I agree but that was what was reported.

The important thing to me, assuming it is true, is what Pentax Germany supposedly reported in a different thread. Pentax noted the problem and all K-5s produced after the 50th week of 2010 are supposedly clean. Certainly Pentax should know what the cut-off serial number is and all numbers greater than that one should be good.

very useful info, thanks !! agreed, Pentax should be able to tell us (assuming they really know), what new production batch k-5's will be stain free..... then we can all buy without going through the revolving door of purchase and return... which really is, imho, absurd and for that pentax should give us something for free..... i.e., extended warranty, free hat, tour of the factory.... dave m
01-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #236
Inactive Account

What gets me is. I live close to Japan and the dealer knew about the problem and promised me a clean unit would be sent. He said he would test it befor shipping. Just a frigging lie. I have had it with Pentax. I am going to get the new k-5. And a clean one.
But when the market slowes down I am jumping ship for sure. With Pentax it is just one thing after another.
01-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #237

Today I checked in a shop few K5 bodies (two 398xxx and one 391xxx) to replace my 383xxx stained one but with no luck; all three bodies were stained; however, the pattern has changed and the dots are no longer in the middle but near the edges. I wasn't able to get a "string of pearls", only isolated dots with a thin halo around them; they didn't look like dust. The tests were done with different lenses at F22.

Make sure that you check it very well before purchase.
01-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in mourning - I dropped off my K-5 at UPS this morning, and I miss it already. It's going to Arizona where Pentax US has farmed out their repair/warranty work. Turn around time according to Pentax is 15 to 20 working days. They did provide a prepaid shipping label though.

FWIW. in dealing with Pentax US, forget about email. They are either very slow or don't answer at all. Either call, or go to the website and use the Chat feature.
01-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #239
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'm in mourning - I dropped off my K-5 at UPS this morning, and I miss it already. It's going to Arizona where Pentax US has farmed out their repair/warranty work. Turn around time according to Pentax is 15 to 20 working days. They did provide a prepaid shipping label though.

FWIW. in dealing with Pentax US, forget about email. They are either very slow or don't answer at all. Either call, or go to the website and use the Chat feature.
Tell me about it. It's been only 1.5 weeks since I sent mine off, and I am sorely missing it and all its awesome features every minute.

As for email, dunno I've had a good experience using their customer service email form. They returned my email within 24 hours, and sent my claim off to their offices to provide me a free shipping label, all on New Year's Eve(!).

It's been over a week now since I got confirmation from UPS that my camera had arrived at Pentax, though, and I haven't heard a thing from them. I'm thinking I should ask them sometime next week for some kind of update/confirmation.
01-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #240

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
As for email, dunno I've had a good experience using their customer service email form. They returned my email within 24 hours, and sent my claim off to their offices to provide me a free shipping label, all on New Year's Eve(!).

It's been over a week now since I got confirmation from UPS that my camera had arrived at Pentax, though, and I haven't heard a thing from them. I'm thinking I should ask them sometime next week for some kind of update/confirmation.
I wonder - did anyone get prepaid shipping from Pentax Canada? It was never offered to me. And, they have had my camera for a week now, with no acknowledgment or update. My only hope for a break on the shipping is that Canada Post missed the delivery deadline for Priority Courier by more than a day, and should refund my fee. (claim submitted). Ironically, they're not big on communications either.
Closed Thread