Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #271
Veteran Member

It seems that S/Ns of about 396+ are OK nowadays.

I have just done a test.

Warmed up the camera on a heating radiator, to about +45C. The little thermometer symbol eventually shows up on the screen.

Then did two videos, 8mins each, one straight after the other.

No sensor spots have appeared.

01-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #272
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
An extra thought: Was/Is the defect from sensors/AA filters gotten from Sony? Or is Pentax admitting that their own assembly procedure was flawed? Is anything about the CAUSE truly verified about this situation?

WHY should I buy this camera a year or so from now if the root cause was never owned by anyone and fixed? Is Nikon having the same problem since they get the same sensors from Sony???
My thoughts exactly Arrow. I am getting my money back and will not buy another until a root cause and corrective answer is released by PENTAX. Tons of conjecture around the web but I have seen zero out of Pentax.

If I wasn't anchored by a few lenses.......
01-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

???? is there a retailer here in the united states that checks k-5's for staining before selling?????
from what i've read here in the forum, there have been retailers abroad who were extremely considerate and would do so before passing on to a buyer......
just trying to avoid jumping on the insane return merry go round that so many have unfortunately been forced to ride on.... thanks to pentax/hoya and their stellar quality control and post sales customer service.....
01-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #274
Inactive Account

Purchased mine fron Abe's on Dec 24..started with 1 shutter count. Check mine after reading about this issue and I only had maybe 50 shutter count. Set back to Abe's on Jan 14th 2011. They said didn't know anything about the sensor stain. Had to pay to return. Waiting to see whens a good time to re-buy......

01-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #275
Veteran Member

I contacted Abes of Maine via email and notified them to keep the camera and refund my purchase in full.
Someone above mentioned that this is not Pentax' fault because the retailer should have checked the camera. Well, on a different thread, a member here returned a K-5 because it was used (maybe just inspected) but had no stains.

I blame Pentax 100% as they have yet to issue a recall or any press release that I have seen.

The more I think about it the more I am pushed away from Pentax. I want to upgrade from my k10d but the K-X is so small for my hands and has no WR.

I am actively researching options from the big two if anyone would care to share some +/- experiences, I am open to PMs.

I am not looking to bash Pentax but this is just bad business.
01-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

what i (and from what i can tell, many others) find so problematic, is those in charge at pentax have done such a poor job in addressing this specific issue.... (not talking about af focusing and other operational issues are not uncommon for new technology, and firmware updates will sort these out...)
some folks seem now to uncover staining after initial inspection shows clean sensors, others are receiving k-5 bodies that may have been returns, retailers have no bloody clue whatsoever if they are in fact selling compromised/stained k-5's....this ain't rocket science pentax, i wonder if they employ 'iso' standards in manufacturing..... it's not a gimmick, it's a proven methodology....
and where is pentax corporate in all this ??? their ability to communicate with their customer base (and perhaps their authorized resellers) is probably the worst i've encountered in recent times.... it's really sad, it seems like such inept stumbling and bumbling which can most assuredly NOT help their standing in this very competitive marketplace...
i love my k-x, as well as my older k200d, k100d, zx-l, and zx-50. being able to use some superb legacy glass and having this nonpareil forum keeps me shootin' with my pentax....
but pentax is not showing anyone that they are making great strides in quality control and problem resolution...... that is in a timely manner.... and that's where respect is earned..

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 01-22-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: edit
01-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #277
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dealers not at fault (in this particular problem)

Here are some comments from this thread last week:

"Yep. Got my camera in mid October and stains didn't show up until mid December."

"Same here. No stains when new but after a month or so usage, the bloody stains showed up."

"?? how is it that the stains are appearing later in the life cycle of some k-5 bodies, when initial inspection at say f22, reveals none??"

A dealer can inspect ALL new ones and old stock, and they probably won't have the stains. A user buys and uses the K5 for a month or two, and stains start appearing. It is NOT the dealers' fault this time (although dealers have their faults too). The stains appear AFTER purchasing and USING it.

So I say, if you have a new K5 with warranty: use the camera AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE in the next few months before your one year warranty runs out!!!!! Force the stains to appear (but don't damage your camera and void the warranty), then demand replacement. Just my opinion.

For me, I have read enough to realize that I will not buy a K5 unless there is solid proof that the sensor/AA filter was replaced BY PENTAX, not a third party. And even then, I will test the H*** out of it until I am satisfied there is not any string of dots at f/8-f/22. For my needs, the "stains" affect my possible interest in Macro photography. And in my mind, it is inexcusable for a $1500 camera to have problems doing something fairly common as Macro photography. Just my opinion.

Other manufacturers have their own issues but this sure makes it tempting to switch to Nikon and buy a slew of used glass (cheaper than Pentax used glass by the way)...... From photo.net Dec.08, 2010: "Fear not, Nikon has a different issue, seems the D7000 sensor has bright spots on video. Probably fixable in firmware, but still an issue for some."

This is a very nice article from enticingthelight quoting President Bunnell acknowledging the problem and what dust vs. stain actually looks like:
Review – Pentax K-5 | Enticing the Light

I am grateful to everyone for the info and participating in a civil discussion.

Be

Last edited by goldenarrow; 01-22-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added text
01-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #278
Veteran Member

As I said above I did a higher temperature test and could not make stains appear on a previously clean camera.

But if the stains can appear later on then we could be looking at a major scam here depending on how Pentax decide to treat customers. There is a predecent with Sony and their crappy Infolithium batteries in the earlier 2000s where they waited till all the cameras were out of warranty and then they put a statement on their website...

With the K5 you have 12 months as standard, I believe. I wonder if there is a warranty extension one can buy?

01-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #279

French update:
Now two weeks since I sent (at my own expense) my K5 back to Pixmania. Unfortunately, despite being one of the larger retailers in Europe, they are bush league. Pentax France had told me earilier that the camera would be replaced, but Pixmania sent it out (where?) for repair, and sends me the same form letter about it taking 20 days every time I ask for status. Indeed, they seem to have very little idea of what the sensor stain issue even is! Let's just say this is no B and H photo, and I would enthusiastically recommend *not* using Pixmania.

As for Pentax France: they have simply stopped responding to emails. Despite their woefully inadequate reaction to this sensor problem, I still think the K-5 is the best body for my needs, and can't wait to get it back. I am, however quite disappointed with the disrespect that Pentax has treated their customers, and with their indifference to all the wasted time and money that K-5 owners have been put through.
01-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #280
Pentaxian

how long does it take for these spots to appear???

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
As I said above I did a higher temperature test and could not make stains appear on a previously clean camera.

But if the stains can appear later on then we could be looking at a major scam here depending on how Pentax decide to treat customers. There is a predecent with Sony and their crappy Infolithium batteries in the earlier 2000s where they waited till all the cameras were out of warranty and then they put a statement on their website...

With the K5 you have 12 months as standard, I believe. I wonder if there is a warranty extension one can buy?
I am only watching from the sidelines so far in this. But from my reading, it only takes two-three months of good, regular use to make the "stains" or "string of dots" appear. It sounds like a very reproducible problem, especially if the theory is correct that it is excess oil-like substance from Pentax's own assembly procedure evaporating at high temperature. Personally, I would not push the ambient temp too high and just use it more than normal but that is how I would go about it. Others may be able to reproduce the problem faster with particular (and carefully controlled) techniques.

An authorized Pentax dealer should be able to tell you if this particular issue is covered by any "extended warranty". And the wording of any extended warranty would have to be scrutinized. It is a legal contract after all!

It is also hard to tell how long it takes because people are not checking for it from Day One of ownership. So, when it "appears", it has already been three or more months. It would be nice to have a scientific answer, like, Day One - no spots, Day 31 - two spots, Day 62 - 20 spots, etc..... Perhaps anecdotal testimony can be compiled into a clearer picture???

Just my opinion.
01-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #281
Inactive Account

I had my K-5 for less than 2 weeks and a less than 50 shutter count when I check to see if I had the sensor stain and I did....
01-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

with the problems befalling the k-5, i wonder why pentax has not offered a very low cost, or better yet, free 2 year extended warranty... they did it on the k-7.... it would be, at the very least, a goodhearted effort by pentax for all those k-5 owners (hope to be me one day soon) who have been affected.... pentax.... are you listening???????
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #283
Forum Member

Anyone who has shipped their k-5 back or to service and got a new one ?

How was the new one ?
01-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #284
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
with the problems befalling the k-5, i wonder why pentax has not offered a very low cost, or better yet, free 2 year extended warranty... they did it on the k-7.... it would be, at the very least, a goodhearted effort by pentax for all those k-5 owners (hope to be me one day soon) who have been affected.... pentax.... are you listening???????
Great idea....that would get me back into a k-5 quick!! That is IF it were a replacement warranty.

Are you reading these Pentax??!!
01-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Great idea....that would get me back into a k-5 quick!! That is IF it were a replacement warranty.

Are you reading these Pentax??!!
+1.... after reading so many threads and posts, both here and elsewhere, as to the woeful response pentax corporate has put forth to it's global customer base....
this is not pentax bashing whatsoever, this is calling a manufacturer 'out', (in this case pentax) and having them address this issue with full and well documented disclosure.... and that ain't happened to the satisfaction of so many.....
perhaps it's a cultural issue, but then toyota, with it's sudden acceleration issue, finally had to man up and tackle that issue with immediacy and a promise to it's customers to resolve the problem asap.....
now we know this sensor staining is not a safety issue, but it is a customer relations one, and pentax/hoya has not impressed anyone with how they've addressed the staining, and to a lesser degree, the ff issues....
....... in closing, if pentax wants to increase it's retail market share, they'd better do a much better job ....... if they want to remain a viable force.........
Closed Thread